Anyone want cash for a big Romo?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

kneelingBROTHA
Legend (Contribution King!)

Anyone want cash for a big Romo?

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

I'll put $ in your hands for a board in decent condition, if you have one that is big enough for me that I dig. The Blue Bottle is almost completely dead--and then some. I am 6'1 tall and 270lb. So....that's a big Romo I need. I'm looking for a twin or quad (not a twin fin or quad fin keel "fish", though), but am open to offers. If you have a board from a different shaper you want to let go that is grande, feel free to post up.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Brotha-
If you want my advice, you need to find a surfer who rips, who is in the neighborhood of your size, then talk to his shaper or buy one of his boards.
In your case... You need to talk to Big Tony.

You want a big board that actually works for a BIG guy... not just a BIG Board. Things like foil, rocker, Vee, and volume are going to be so critical, and he's been working with shapers for years to accomplish this. ( I believe most of his boards are Blasts and Flashpoints).

Big Tony can surf. REALLY surf. His boards allow him to charge everything from head-high HB to macking Tavi. And he is a BIG dude! Bigger than you.
Hit him up with a PM and see if he's got something in the rafters to sell (Even if the board sounds a little big for you, at least you know it's a tested board) or get some specifics on his shapes.
You wont be sorry.

This is what I did a few years back.
Being 6'4", 200lbs I felt I needed boards that were shaped for a guy with my specifics that would allow me to surf the way I aspired to.
I found a surfer who was my size who I thought ripped (2x World Champ Kyle Bryant)... contacted his shaper (Bruce Hart)... and I've never looked back.

(Sprocky did the same thing with Jamie McHugh... bought both his used Islands after the World Titles.)
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

I don't really think there is such a thing as a big Romo.

I know Ron likes to keep them compact when he shapes,

5'6"???

You'll have some convincing to do to get yourself a
5'8" or 5'10" :lol:
maxb

Post by maxb »

Ron will build you any length you want, he will even have custom blanks glued up for width, the board I rode at Lances' Left this year is 5'9.5" by 23 and he has made many boards 6' +. It is a myth that he won"t work with you on what YOU want. He likes to see pictures or you surfing in person to make sure you have an idea of what really will work for you. Heck ,look at the board stonefish had him make,
he really is a pretty nice guy
max
kbing newport
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Well I'm happy if you're happy! :lol:
big-d
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by big-d »

Yes,there is such thing as a big Romo.I am also 6' 1" and 270 lbs. My boards dimensions are 5' 11" x 23.5" x 2.75", squash tail quad.It is great for late drops and hallow surf.It is in excellent shape.Send me a P.M.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

choosing a shaper is all about what your personal flavor is...some prefer Toby's, Lis and Mandala's, some prefer their local shapers, and others may prefer Flashpoints, Parkes and Islands. What works for one person may not necessarily work for others. :wink:

I think the most important point is, that the shaper actually work with what the rider asks for, and not what the shaper feels the rider actually wants or needs. Case in point...a guy I know asks for a 5'10" with glass-on's, and gets a 6' with boxes. I'm sure there was more info about rails, fin location etc., but you see the dilemma. I'd be pissed, especially after not only paying for the board, but the shipping as well. :?

The down side...if a shaper makes a shape according to the rider's specs, and it rides like shite, the shaper risks having the rider being unhappy with the board and blaming it on the shaper. I realize it's a 2-way street. :wink:
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Good points, Kid Rock.

And my point, to clarify, has NOTHING to do with shapers, but with individual surfers... especially BIG dudes. We are at a real disadvantage, and it's important to get a board that works. Taking advantage of other guys R&D can save someone a lot of time and $$$... and help you work with whatever shaper you want.

Also, since Marc said he wanted a "used" board, it's best to buy one you know is gonna work for a guy in your size range... not some "big board' someone is just trying to get rid of.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Captain- Totally agree. And when I said "rips", I meant "is able to get their equipment to do as they wish"... which is always a struggle for big guys.
The same board will work totally differently for you (6'5" 230) , me (6'4" 200), and Marc (6'1" 270). And since the surfing population is overrun by midgets (:wink:) it's important to get as much R&D info as possible.

Truth is, Marc spends a lot of time at The Avenues, which is heavy shore pound beach break (and a lot of back breaking closeouts)... similar to Newport... so a Romo might be best for him.
Or, he might look for something bigger... so instead of late drops, he's getting in early and setting up for the dredge. Regardless, he's got options.
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

In case anyone was wondering, I had to have an appendectomy shortly after this topic started heating up with answers, so I didn't exactly have a chance to answer all of these replies. I truly thank all of you for offering advice.

Hi all, wow, what a wealth of info. EQ, you might be right on the money. I definitely want the board to work for me, and my style/preferred breaks. However, I'm also on a budget. So, it's a bit of a hard choice here. I have received MANY offers--thank you everyone--and I'm starting to mull over them again.

I'll be reviewing my budget, and see what's up with a board purchase.

Thanks all! This discourse is invaluable for my search for...the perfect [affordable] board.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?