Tsunami warning for NZ

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Howard Lorney
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Tsunami warning for NZ

Post by Howard Lorney »

Get the boards ready guys, warnings out but no Tsunami confirmed yet.
If it does come it wont hit till after 10am.

Source is a large quake south of Samoa
Live for the moments that take your breath away.

kneed for speed
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

8.3 magnitude

Tsunamis have hit Pago Pago

"New Zealander Graeme Ansell said the beach village of Sau Sau Beach Fale was leveled.

"It was very quick. The whole village has been wiped out," Ansell told National Radio from a hill near Samoa's capital, Apia. "There's not a building standing. We've all clambered up hills, and one of our party has a broken leg. There will be people in a great lot of need 'round here."

A tsunami swept into Pago Pago, capital of American Samoa, shortly after the earthquake, sending sea water surging inland about 100 yards (meters) before receding, leaving some cars stuck in mud.

The staff of the port ran to higher ground, and police soon came by, telling residents to get inland.

In Fagatogo, water reached the waterfront town's meeting field and covered portions of the main highway, which also was plagued by rock slides.

In Samoa, the powerful quake jolted people awake.

"It was pretty strong; it was long and lasted at least two minutes," one resident told local radio.

"It's the strongest I have felt, and we ran outside. You could see all the trees and houses were shaking," he said.

Sulili Dusi told New Zealand's National Radio that "everything dropped on the floor and we thought the house was going to go down as well. Thank God, it didn't." Along with neighbors, they fled to high ground.

She said the tsunamihit the south side of the island, and some "cars have been taken." She did not elaborate, but added "we just thank God no life has been taken yet."

Another resident, Dean Phillips, said the southern coast of Upolu island had been struck by the tsunami.

"The police are sending everybody up to high ground," he said.

Local media said they had reports of some landslides in the Solosolo region of the main Samoan island of Upolu and damage to plantations in the countryside outside Apia."
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Warning calls for estimated Hawaii arrival at 1:11 HST
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

THE TSUNAMI WATCH IS CANCELLED FOR THE STATE OF HAWAII EFFECTIVE AT 1023 AM HST AND A TSUNAMI ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT.
HOOPER
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by HOOPER »

NOT HERE YET
Bintang Bob

Post by Bintang Bob »

nobody tells me nothin'.... :!: :!: :!: the wave was to hit Gizzy at 10:00 & here it is 11:00 & I'm just finding out.... :? no point to suiting up now.... :? at least the civil defence coulda come by & let me know.... :wink:
Kneel before the majesty of our mother ocean
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

Tragic loss of life in Samoa, thoughts are with those affected. Never nice to have innocent people suffer.

Tragic waste of time here in Bay of Plenty. Warnings in place which is good, but narry a ripple.

Oh my, how sad never mind.

Go for a surf anyway.
Live for the moments that take your breath away.

kneed for speed
dua anjing

Post by dua anjing »

One way to survive..have to pretty spooky though..

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/6135 ... t-tsunami/#
I live in my own little world, But it's OK they know me there.
dua anjing

Post by dua anjing »

I live in my own little world, But it's OK they know me there.