General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

nmac
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by nmac »

I've been looking at this website for over a year. It is the best surfing-releated one out there. It has such a positive vibe. Anyway, I've been a standup surfer for 40+ years. Been around long enough to have seen pics and movies with kneeboarders in them(Greenough, Lis, Hoffmans, Crawford,etc..). I've been intrigued by this form of waveriding for years. Although where I surf(Mid-Atlantic coast), it's an absolute rarity to see a kneeboarder in the water. I could count on one hand the number I've seen over the years. Now, I would like to give it a try. Are there any Mid-Atlantic riders on this site? I surf mainly in the NJ,DE.MD area. Are there board builders in the area who can actually shape a real kneeboard? I wouldn't even know what size or shape to try. Any help would be great. Thanks.
KneeBumps
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KneeBumps »

nmac,
There are a few of us, scattered up and down the coast. I surf in MD and DE mostly, although I have ties to NC and get down there a few times a year. Next time there's a decent swell, I'll PM you- easiest place to meet is Ocean City, MD. Mike Fernandez and I meet up there a few times a year, and there's another local usually in the water.
Also planning a week in Hatteras in Sept.- I'll keep you in the loop.
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
nmac

Post by nmac »

Thanks. That would be great. Where do you get your boards? What shapes work the best on the East Coast?
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

nmac,

I will be at OCMD (probably 48th St) on Wednesday, if the forecast holds up. PM me if you'd like to make a meet.

STONE aka "kidrock"
"So if you want to kneeboard, find the hollowest waves you can, ride as short of a board as possible and go fast and deep. If you want to slip and slide, twist and jerk, go for air then stand up and do it. Let’s keep kneeboarding sacred."
-Bird Huffman
nmac

Post by nmac »

Ok. Have to see if the forecast holds up.
jimithesaint
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by jimithesaint »

Hey Nmac -
I started riding kneeboards after surfing for about 30 years - I usually surf the Outer Banks . Yeah there aren't many of us but there are a few - getting boards, I have had some shipped and had Scott Busbey in Buxton shape me a good quad fish, he is good and a super nice guy - easy to deal with likes doing KB's and his prices are good. He did one for Capesurf last year too.
Jimi