Soon to become new to surf matting?(jet propelled bodysurfin

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Have you ever mat surfed seriously?

Yes
29%
No
46%
Occasionally in the acid haze 60s and 70s :)
25%
I still do so religeously!
No votes

Total votes: 24

KneeloRider*
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Soon to become new to surf matting?(jet propelled bodysurfin

Post by KneeloRider* »

Any comments on these inflatable dreams?
Durability?
Length of usable life?
Fins to use with them (BESIDES THE SACRED UDTS, I DON'T WANT TO WRECK MY ANKLES!) Viper V7'S or Plain ol DuCk FeET? Any others?
Tips on riding?
How to duckdive the thing (where to collapse the rails)?
How to roll the damn thing (" " " )?
Punching out of a wave? Is it possible to carve into the wall, throw yourself into it while still holding the front edges of the mat, and kick through the breaking wall while mid ride? Thoughts?
I can't afford a kneelo NOR WOULD IT BE A GOOD IDEA FOR MY KNEES!
However, I'm stoked on the whole jet propelled proning adapatable contour thing. I think I might get a camo one from Dale! I'm currently in correspondance with him and hoping to get an answer from someone at the surfer's Journal offices too (good luck on that one, I know!) Awesome.

Stoked.

KneeloRider*
W.G. Facenda
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by W.G. Facenda »

ask greenough -he does it everyday.I saw him at goodsize ranch waves just flying! It takes a while to master a mat but when you do.......such a simple looking thing ,can be so decieving. Another example, is the fish design, everyone seems to finally see it's potential what?? 30 yrs later!!Don't be so quick to judge......Another appeal is they love bumpy surf and they are so wonderfully uncool!
Ler

mats

Post by Ler »

I voted Yes. There use to be around so much in the 70's & early 80's here in Huntington, in the summer time. I even owned one, til one of the things popped. Worse rash ever is what I remember.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ler

mats

Post by Ler »

Bolsa the best spot for mats, a lond right point. I heard that where those famous of that George G. guy were shot. The goverment wants you to thinks its Rincon, but if look real close, oh nevermind.
MWROBERTSON

Mats

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Tom Linn, my brother Danny & I just got back from the North Shore of Hawaii. One day we drove over to Sandy Beach to get some sun and favorable winds. The North Shore was rainy & blown out!

Anyway, it was sunny and off shore at Sandy. The shore break was pounding so I put on the fliipers to body surf some grinders. I realized I was not so cool when this HUGE Hawaiian (400 pounds or so) guy comes riding by me in body surf form but using a plastic restaurant tray as his foil!

We started talking and he says this is the way to go. I may add one to my quiver along with a mat too.
Beeline2.0

Re: Soon to become new to surf matting?(jet propelled bodysu

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

The locals groms that I know swear by "BK Lounge" trays, not ones from McDonalds. Just today, they were melting a tray, using a paint stripper (heat gun) in order to get a little more lift out of the nose. If you try this, first you have to cut each corner of the rim so they will fold up better-pliers and a hot coathanger do the trick nicely.
Trays catch a rail easily and become lost, but replacement costs are minimal. :lol:
kage
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by kage »

I would truly like to try a mat, but they aren't cheap. $250 -300, something like that. After hearing about them all the time on Swaylocks I am sure they are a wonder of engineering and craftsmanship but that's still a lot of dough.
Birdie
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Birdie »

I have a CamoTray - made in Huntington Beach, courtesy of the ABC commissary.

Dale is making me a mat, I special ordered a yellow and black two-tone one - The neu flying bumble bee.....

Yah...

When the black ball goes up, I'll be buzzin' right on by....

Birdie
KneeloRider*

Re: Soon to become new to surf matting?(jet propelled bodysu

Post by KneeloRider* »

[quote="Beeline"][quote="KneeloRider*"]Any comments on these inflatable dreams?
Durability?
Length of usable life?
Stoked.

KneeloRider*[/quote]

Watch your wallet!
They are comparable in price to a very nice but used kneeboard.

Although a McDonalds tray is cheaper than a cheeseburger.[/quote]

I appreciate the warning, but yep, I've looked into prices. Nope, they're not cheap. And yep, they cost about as much as a nice, barely used surfboard or knee riding vehicle.

However, I prefer new equipment, as I A) like the feeling of breaking something in myself (just a habit from buying zillions of new skateboard decks and breaking them and their new truck bushings down to the contour of my weight displacement!), and B) I can't really afford to do any kneeriding, as my knees are not in great shape. Again, this small fact relates to skateboarding. Bummer yes, but far from a tragedy. You deal, you know? So I can either borderline safely/unsafely dropknee/kneeride or prone on a soft surface (ie, sponge, or a custom spongy kneeboard), or I can rip bruddah kine on a mat. Go wild on whatever fits your fancy...

...the good thing about the fact I wrecked my knees with my SKTBRD fanatics is the fact it has opened new avenues to myself. I never would have considered kneeriding or be an avid fan of it if I hadn't busted my knees (trust me, you don't want to take an airdrop floater on loose kneecaps--trust me)! Kneeriding, mat riding, and boogie riding with fins on would all be far to goofy looking for me to even care!

I would just be another Slater copycat, trying to pigdog (which by the way, is practically kneeboarding!) another tube on just another average day in the La area.

But now, they (kneeling low, mat riding low, bodyboarding low, all low, low, low, gravity) are independantly stylish to me in a whitebread surfing world, as they all pertain to the laws of low gravity. Go figure...

KneeloRider*
Birdie

Post by Birdie »

Eh, well catch up with me when you get yours - we can meet up at County Line or thereabouts....I'll have mine in a month or so.

Sounds like you mad ethe best choice.

I have a pair of the UDT's but I am hooked on the Tech 2's. They have them at Ebodyboarding.com. Very comfy - all manner of pebbles and such shoot right out of them, they drag less than other fins in white water, and they have better propulsion than Churchill Slashers.

Cheers

Birdie
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

re cost: I had an old Converse mat in about 1970 and it was great. Rode iit in blown out crappy waves on North Shore and South. Generally alone as the waves would be bad enough that no one else would venture out. It was tons o' fun. Couple years ago, remembering that tried a couple more modern "civilian" mats and they sucked. Didn't hold, bogged no control etc. Dale has spent years refining and experimenting and though I've never seen one of his in person, I bet they are well worth the $. Have seen reports on InflatableDreams site about massive abuse onto rock etc with no damage. And their fans sure seem to like how they work.
Craig

Mats

Post by Craig »

You bet, untill my belly, chest & arms bled! What great fun :) T- Street was happening place.
Just do it, you'll get the hang of it. You may find your matt to be duck dive proof however !
These vidieos; Crystal Voyager or Children of the Sun both have 8) mat surfing segments.

Still a Grom!
steve burpo

Post by steve burpo »

Kneelorider have you gotten a kneeboard yet??