reversing your churchill fins

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

KenM wrote:Can you imagine trying to get out of the water at the Wedge with that thing on your feet? :lol:
:lol: That would be worth capturing on video.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
skeg
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by skeg »

Re: Churchill Makapuu swim fins.

My Malaysian manufactured rubber ones got nicked the other day (perhaps for the reason below) so I have been trying to replace them this past week or so. Thing is, I'm being told by local hardcore surf stores that the importer is having problems getting them into Australia.

I asked one sales assistant about ordering online direct from The States and he informed me Churchills are now being made in plastic. P-l-a-s-t-i-c! He said he tried a pair on his recent trip to Hawaii and they performed poorly. He went on to mention something about the company to do with Morey Boogie and Churchill swim fins having new owners and cutting costs. Morey, I can understand as it's happened to them before. But, Churchill?

Another sales assistant said Stealth swinfins reverse-engineered Churchill and so I purchased the Stealths and, well, I'm here posting this appeal.

I've now got several recommendations for another version of Churchill swim fins, called: Limited Edition, a pair of which I tried on earlier today but without buying - even after an aggressive discount offer.

Is all this alternative stuff a sales, marketing and distribution ploy?

Pls, could a fellow wave rider in The States confirm or debunk the Churchill plastic thing?

Also, I've seen a pair of new-ish all-green Churchills in a shop here but it's in x-large, only, I think. So if anyone's interested I can point you in the right direction.
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

hi Skeg

these work okay

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/old-bar/ ... 1006870684

- they have ridges on the outside to keep them stiff,
sometimes the ridge drags if they hang off the tail

lotsaswellheretoday
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Headwax. wrote:hi Skeg

these work okay

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/old-bar/ ... 1006870684

- they have ridges on the outside to keep them stiff,
sometimes the ridge drags if they hang off the tail

lotsaswellheretoday
$15. :shock: I wear those and I like them, I would buy more at $15.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Hey Mike
:)
Oh I don't know, mine cracked after 5 years - and I was only using them bout four times a week. I wooda asked for my money back but I couldn't find the receipt ;)

If only everything in life gave such good service.

My wife bought me some new ones for my birthday - but she accidentlly got churchills :( one size too small - gah they hurt so good, now I know what a ballet dancer on point with a broken toe feels
micko

Post by micko »

http://www.aquagear.com/hydro-tech-2/

These are by far the best fins I've ever used, haven't had a cramp in three years. Brilliant.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Micko those are the Hydro Tech 2, you should try the Hydro flippers Headwax posted. They are soft rubber, not plastic and you get good traction on the board from the top of the flippers. :wink:

Rocky Point/Black Rock
micko

Post by micko »

Mike the tech2's are silicon. I've had the hydro finz, ok but still suffered cramps. Those tech2's are by FAR the best fin I've ever used.
bdwqld
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by bdwqld »

Hydra Tech 2 and cuts from anythings sharp, and they self destruct. That aside they are very comfortable. I am a big fan of the POD III myself no cramps, comfortable foot pocket that drains very well, and loads of drive.
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

bdwqld, are you using the Pod 3 Evolution or the one with the angular notched blade ? Looks from photos that the foot pocket won't allow wearing fins on opposite feet to keep the long edge from dragging in the wave face ? Real good propulsion you say ?
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Hi Fossil Man, yep I am wearing the Pod 3 Evolution with the notched blade. That is my only complaint about them is that damned notch, the legrope keeps catching in it. Never had a problem with a the blade dragging in the wave face. My hydra techs used to catch in the face on right handers as I tend to land slightly skewed on the board.
I have tried Nomads NX, Hydra Tech and Hydra Tech II, limited editions (my son's favorite) finally the Pods. The pods give heaps of propulsion (probably the best I have owned) and I don't cramp like I did with the nomads.
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

I'm going to have to give those a go, always looking for a fin that has good thrust w/o severe cramp potential or excessive width ( e.g. Dafins or Manta Clones). Looking online I see one called the PF3 evolution, asymmetrical but w/ smoother blade , and then one I think they just call PF3 w/ a BIG and smaller notch, kinda looks like a shark tail, I presume thats the one you're recommending, sort of a Makapuu from the 23rd century.
Rob
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Hi Rob,
I have the PF3 with the notches, I got them as a run-out before the PF3 evolution. I think they both have the same blade size, the notched ones catch on the leg rope which is my only criticism. I think this may be more to the fact that I don't look after my leg rope which tends to wrap itself around every thing in sight. For me they are really comfortable.
Cheers,
Byron
kneehighdesigns
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by kneehighdesigns »

nee-pro supply propel fins for $55 aud and i have tested them a fair bit and find that they are probably a notch down from pods !!
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

I think i tried those once, didn't really give em a fair shake cause I was so paranoid about scratching them on the reef and not being able to return them. I recall they felt a bit wide on the tail of the board, but in all fairness I was probably using Vipers or my old Scotts so the transition was feeling too strange.
I did get over to my local bodyboard shop to have another look at the Pod 3 fins w/ the big notches, they look pretty sweet and the price was good, about $ 44 , I'd figured on a beatdown of at least sixty bucks for those. Surprised how long the blade is though, have to compare a little more to the length of fins I've been using.