Surf Report 2011

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Masons
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Masons »

Just had the best session this season. Hidden point break in goleta, SOLID 4-5' surf and started with 2 of us out. Cannot believe how insanely gorgeous and hollow the points can get here IF its a solid west swell, and this angle is sick.

Barrel sections, long shoulders with steep pockets, made so many turns that the top of my left foot is bleeding pretty bad.. I've got a massive bunion? or something that's been forming for the past few years from surfing so much. My right foot isn't as bad, i surf 90% rights so I push harder on my top turns with my left foot I think.

Anyone have any tips for this? Its above the 'big' toe and right on the tendon that runs up your foot, feels like a ton of scar tissue and opens into a bleeding/sore after surfs.. :(
southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by southpeakbrad »

San Diego Hat Trick!

Surfed the last 3 days and had fun doing it after pretty poor conditions for the recent past (...I worked last weekend and missed those waves).

Great fun yesterday in the rain but favorable winds with moderate crowd and two special guests, in addition to the dolphins 8)
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Alfredo that day I saw you was so good!!!!!!!!!! I missed on Saturday thou....
barry

foot

Post by barry »

Masons....
Hope you are wearing booties also could try getting round toe booties (somewhat larger than you would normally wear) then wear soft finsock type booty underneath for extra cushion for your foot. also will keep your feet super toasty :D
Scott

Post by Scott »

Pam and I did the Mendacino Pilgrimage to see Don and Bonnie Harris this weekend. Lovely conditions after the rain quickly vacated. SPECTACULAR fall colors, plus a nice sunny and even glassy (an almost unheard of word around those windy confines) morning surf at a local beachbreak, 4 - 6' and very fun. Warmest water I've ever surfed up there--actually pushing 53 degrees, which was a such a delight (I actually took my hood off a few times!). And even the sun was shining actually heating up my wetsuit.

I wish I hadn't left my camera back at Don's house.

BTW, Don's garage is a like a wonderland of amazing kneeboards, including a full slate of Parkes, some Flashpoints (including a board each from Simon and from Matt Gallagher), a Blast, Freeline and more... I selected a Parkes carbon fiber for my session that was a great board, even though I have much to learn about how to utilize all that potential.

Super weekend trip!
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Masons

Post by Masons »

Thanks for the advice Barry, the problem I have is I CANT find larger booties around here anyways lol.

I'm a size 13 and fin socks+ booties have been really uncomfortable in the past.. But I'm gonna hunt online to see if I can find a setup that looks good.

Or I guess I could buy some pads...

Nah.. :twisted:

And let me know when we can hook up for a sesh at Rincon or T's or the Princess, wherever.. I've got a lot of free time and surf everyday, if there's waves.
barry

booty

Post by barry »

Masons
try a dive shop....or online. I have some oneil firewall 5mil round toes they zip up the side. they have great rubber on top of foot for long life and the sole provides great protection for all the rock walking and jumping off into the surf
Masons

Post by Masons »

WNW alert -

Swell is in town, Rincon is solid 3-4', with some plus sets. About 100 guys out this morning spread from indicator to cove. Lots of waves. Has enough west in it that most breaks are seeing something.
Akio Matsumoto
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Akio Matsumoto »

I Drove to Santa Barbara to Surf My Favorite Place IN Calif On Tuesday and It Was 1 Foot ,Wetsand Was Listing @ 4 To 6 Foot .I Was Bumed Out .There Where Lot Of Guys There Thinking The same Thing.SB is Beautiful Place ,Well It Was A Nice Drive Any How,There Was Two Guys On The BodyBoard Having Fun I Almost Whent Out ,But Drove Home To Surf 3 To 5 Foot Oceanside . I Made Back Home 12:30 Not Bad Of Drive.Next Time .
Casey Patelski

HB Report 11/29 thru 12/1 2011

Post by Casey Patelski »

HB Pier S Side, Contest Area 11/29-30, 4-7 ft walled peaks, some makable, some sets had 6 -10 waves, very crowded. Water 60-62, Good to feel some size finally.
Thrusday 12/1: HB State Beach, Magnolia Tower 6, AM till 9am, Offshore 4-5 ft bowling, firing, grinding peaky, deep barrels, low crowd, Super Fun. Then the wind changed :( at 9am.
COVE PADS,KneeloLab 6-0PoisonDart DeanCleary 3x Cncav Roundtail 5Fin, 6-0 PoisonDart Infinity 3x Cncav Pintail 3 Fin, Blast 5-9StubVector Swallow Quad, 5-9Vartanian Poison Dart 3x Cncav PinTail 3fin, 6-0Flashpoint DoubleBump Swallow & 5-10 WingPin 3fins.
MWROBERTSON

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Casey's report is a typo. It has been bunk here for weeks on end. He has also been known to see things reguarly. :shock:
Jimputz

Post by Jimputz »

I saw a Chupicabra a couple days ago near the Bolsa Jetty riding a motorized SUP straight into the estuary. It was wearing boardshorts only. I guess all that fur works just like a wetsuit? :roll:
Scott

Post by Scott »

No report yet--just the anticipation of a report! I fly out tomorrow to Miami for a work-related conference. Of course, I'll stay at my brother MOW's home there. With his bone marrow transplant a success over this last year, he's just recently been cleared by his doctor to get back into the water! And right on cue there's a head-high swell scheduled for early next week when I'll have a day or two of opportunity. What a praise that he will be paddling out again and I get to be with him! I think we'll also be hooking up with Eric Carson; my first time meeting him. First time for me surfing in Florida.

All very exciting...
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Hope you're scoring Scott...

Back at the Ranch, long period forerunners hit with steady offshore winds and an outgoing tide. Power and long lines.

It was flippin' great out there today.

Edit: 6' @ 19-20
stemple

Post by stemple »

Oh man you are killing me Bob. I knew today was going to be good but schedule just could not be amended on my part. Bummer I may try this weekend but I am out of shape and it looks to be powerful and unforgiving. I guess I should just see it as paying some owed dues.