Surf Report 2011

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

North Shores - New North - NNE well arriving will push UP well above head high levels as this core energy will be focusing along the Kohala/Hamakua and Keaukaha reefs and shorebreaks. Heads up for fast rising surf. The SE winds are still around, offering offshore conditions.

todays forecast. all i can manage is one long surf. go home eat a huge dinner, shower and pass out by 8pm and do it all over again. we've had a f&cking great winter 8) such good conditions.
so far, since Dec....i have not had a major injury or seriously disfigured a board which is awesome and a welcome change over last year.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Bud

Post by Bud »

NNE AGAIN???
MAKE IT STOP :cry: ..... :lol:

Strange.....
:?

Today it was down by more than half from yesterday but came right back up with a strong West influence mixed in with the dying NNE.
Didn't see anything about a West swell forecast to be in the mix, but it sure was a nice change of pace.
Excellent 4-6' (HWN) peaks along the entire reef at Back Yards.
Rocky Pt was very good as well.

Now it's forecast to come back up NNE again.
With these SE winds it's been "Indo comes to the North Shore" for ages.
More excellent Laniakea?

BRING IT ON ! :twisted:

Mike,
Any reports on Hilo "Bay Front"?
Must have been some exceptionally long winding walls as of late.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

hey Bud,
Bayfront (thurs arvo) was 3-4' and windy offshore. strange direction causing the little reefs just to the north (which hardly ever break) to break yet Honoli`i was half it's size. seemed very easty. Keaukaha was sizeable as well. up until thurs it was'nt really doin its thing. at least everytime i drove by.
real serious problem with SUP's at Bayfront these days. Lance Burkhart's legacy. :roll:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

First for me today.
As I was going in from a surf, it hailed on me. :shock:
KenM

Post by KenM »

Had a short session at K-Man's backyard this morning, sure was strange sitting in the lineup and seeing snow on the foothills above Stinson Beach. :shock: Check out K-Mans photo in the album.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by Eric Carson »

finally getting some fun Spring surf here in Florida-4th day in a row with chest high light wind conditions. Water warmed up to near 70 so I skinned it! Yesterday I hit a an easy rebound closeout section and my board did a tail slide on the clean green face, caught me by total suprise, but I pulled it off. Fell in love with my Flashpoint...again!
Scott

Post by Scott »

I'm tired of all this hail and snow covered mountains!!!!! Pam and I are leaving tomorrow for Oahu for 5 days, then a few on Maui.

Any other of the kneelo brethren traveling to the island during next week, too? Too bad I missed it when Gove was there...

Looking forward to seeing Bud, Darren and, hopefully, some others.

Please PM me.
KenM

Post by KenM »

Forecast for the North Bay and San Francisco for Friday night/ Saturday morning: POSSIBLE SNOW down to SEA LEVEL. WHAT? :shock:
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Surfed my old favorite spot in Newport today for the first time in 30 years. Very small, but it was only me, and a tan colored seal for two hours. 8)
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Scott

Post by Scott »

Today, seriously, had to be one of my most fun surf days ever. After 2 days of pretty tricky double overhead surf at Sunset Beach, another classic spot nearer Kaena Point--just as big--and Bud's own backyard magic reef I already had some great memories. My 6'3" Blast served me well in these steep, fast waves.

But today the swell dropped to 4-6' faces and got really clean after a passing thunderhead knocked out the tradewinds at Bud's spot. About a dozen of us spread out evenly up and down the long reef. It got glassy and became an absolute barrel fest--the most I've ever had in a single session. You could just see 'em coming as you paddled for them--a perfectly tailored peak coming up fast on the shallow reef. Made a bunch, got pitched on a few, but never so many in one session. Both rights and lefts. I had to throw in some bottom and top turns just to keep from doing the same thing all the time; there was so much speed in the waves even those moves seemed easy despite riding a 6'3".

Bud has an amazing set up to live right in front of one of the best R/L reef breaks anywhere!

I decided to catch one last one in and that wave turned out to be a clean double-barrel; how great is that for maybe the last wave of my trip!? I just paddled in across the shallow coral with a big grin on my face, trying not lose concentration and put my hand down on a sea urchin!

Then, at Darren's invitation, I immediately made a 2-hour drive through more blasting thunderstorms down south to Sandy Beach. He met me there with his SOTA water rig and insisted we go for a body surf together so he could get some shots. I haven't body surfed Sandy Beach for 30 years and it was typically powerful, but so much fun. Lots of laughter for Darren and me, just enjoying the other guys pulling into wedging, heaving closeouts. We got out of the water when it was almost dark.

What a great day--pretty burned out!
Bob Gove
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Surf report 2011

Post by Bob Gove »

What a great way to end an awsome trip! Now you get to go back to 55 degree water! Thanks for the report Scott, keep up the good work.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Scott you scored! Wow, what a great report. Thanks for that great pic from BY's that you posted. :D
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Wedge was about eight foot on the sets this afternoon, however, it would have been a crushing ending to an otherwise glorious, but brief tubular journey. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
stevea
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Surf Report 2011

Post by stevea »

Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away
air temp 30 c
water temp 23 c
wave height 2-5ft
wind offshore
crowd factor zero
You know those spots you always check out but rarely catch them on ,well this is one of those, banks sometimes appear after a decent swell shifts the sand around to form a nice little peak A framed delicacies just about a mile from my room
Tuesday morn tide is coming in as i paddle out alone it appears to be 2-3 ft glassy perfection but a set of 12 5ft +closeouts dampen the enthusiasm as i near the take off .
OK this happens as i wait it out im joined by 2 more surfers ,then 1by 1 we score 4-5ft down the line little screamers ,no barrel sections but fun fun fun all the way to the beach
3 hours later the tide, fitness and wind conspire to end what was the most enjoyable surf for me off the year,the bank has gone back into hiding but i will be checking it everyday hoping to get that rare window of opportunity when all is in harmony and balance
fruitbat

Post by fruitbat »

onya steve
had good waves at kerong resort before i saw you
it was total closeout in front of my resort but 20min walk good shaped waves.you got to know the place.i was fortunate to get quite a few.say hello to Buster.

Eric