Pics of 1st board 1st post

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Jxff
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Pics of 1st board 1st post

Post by Jxff »

Here it is... my guess is the early 70's. Flat rocker and down rails.

Comments appreciated.

I hope I posted the pics correctly... kind of a pain on flickr... is there an easier way to do it?
Never too old for a new board, Jxff
joe
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by joe »

Image Image
KenM

Post by KenM »

That is a true classic. :D My guess would be 71 or 72.
Captain Kneemo fan club
Local (More than 25 post)

time warp board

Post by mmanners »

I shaped a board very similar to this in 1971 or 2, it had a deeper kneewell and really sharp (ridiculously so in hing sight) rails. I really put time into foil the rails and the fin as well. It was magenta and royal blue. It looked much beter than it surfed. It was fun and I think the first board I made that wasn't made from a glass stripped off stand up board, I actully bought a blank. There were a few before it including a few plywood craft, and a one that each of my friends tried shaping on. That board didn't have any place for more than 6 inches that there was a flowing curve. Very early asymetrical board for sure.

Seeing this pic, I felt like I'd just stepped out of the Delorean back to 72.
Back to the present and a very different world, thanks for the mental vacation.

Sweet ride, enjoy the glide.

Mark
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Hey Jeff, and all other interested parties, Ken I believe is spot on about the year of your board. 71-72 sounds right. Knee master Buzz Blodgett shaped all the Sunset kneeboards back in the day!
He's a master glass blower still living in Encinitas teaching the art.
Another member, ezak and I bought some kneeboards from Brian Fredrickson the owner of Sunset from '89 on. My fish that I bought from him has the same colors as the board that you got Jeff. The bottom of my board is pretty dinged up, but it all water tight and only $150. :D
Check out this site about Sunset started by Ed Wright!
www.edwrightsurfboards.com
Akio Matsumoto

Post by Akio Matsumoto »

Wow Mark , This Realy Bring Back Some Good Old Memory's Yes Mark Is Right Buzz blodgett Shaped For Sunset Surf Boards For Long time . Back Then He Was Best Fish Shaper Around. I First Meet Buzz @ Swimes With His Dad Wally Blodgett . Wally Was Man Not Forgotten He Used To Rip Swimes On The Board Buzz Made For Him ,Billy Board With Handles . Wally Took Me To Surf Sunset Cliffs For First Time . Buzz Also Made Me My First Custom Kneeboard . With Handles , He Made My Kneeboard In Two Days ,From Shaping To Glassed . I Spent Every Weekend Over There @ Wallys & Buzz Place , Waching Him Blow Glass.Thanks Mark .
ezak
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by ezak »

Hello Akio,

Hey you probably don't remember me but we did meet a couple times at contests. Mark's got some nice boards for sure. One of these days I'll take some pics and we'll post a few here. The Sunset I've got is a double bump, swallow tail, channel bottom, twin (foam) fin from probably '81/'82 shaped by Bill Shrosbee. As Mark explained the price was definitely right. One of these days when I can afford a new board, I'm gonna ask Bill or Brian Fredrickson if they'll shape me one just like it. It's magic (and a 30yr old board!) Just FYI, you can still get a Sunset surfboard/kneeboard new or old style today!

8) :!:

Erik
surf with soul
Bill F

Post by Bill F »

I use to drive to Buzz's and get a few boards.. I think with Mark and Eric Martin?? Great boards ! We would all camp at Jalama and ride our Buzz boards buzzed at First crack!! :lol: :lol:
Akio Matsumoto

Post by Akio Matsumoto »

Hi Bill & Erik :D Have You Been Surfing SB Bill ! I drove To SB One Morning & Got El ... Real Fun Not Like We Got That One Year Of Dec 2009 . I Got Some EX Photo That Day',Ill Post Them Some Day.Buzz & Wally Took Me To Jalama For First Time As Well . I Was So Lucky To Have Wally & Buzz As Freind . Both Took Me Every Where. Most Of Time We Surfed Our Home Break Grandvew.Man What A Fun Break. And This is Where I First Meet John Brockway & Steve Lis & Kenny Hughes .I Still Remember Geting Cut Off By Lis :evil: And I Almost Beat His Ass In , But Iam Glad I Did Not Beat Him . Because I Would Had Never Got A Board From Stevie If I Did .Its Funny How Thing Work Out. John B & I Got Jalama Many Time & Its Best .And One Trip John Told Me To Eat This , And i Asked Him What Is It , And He Told Me Its Fun High , So We Both Eate Mushroom, Man Iam Glad We Where At Jalama Where There Was Hardly Any One There.I Will Never Foget That Day . :shock: And Ill Have Some Other Story Later ,Of Jalama Trip With John Sargent & Richard Gomez. Man Its Cool How We Remember Thing From Others Post. Thanks Bill, Erik, & Mark
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

I remember those trips. Bill you got quite a few boards from Buzz didn't you? Most of those times what we did were definitly "against the law!"
hehe :D
Bill F

Post by Bill F »

I remember the countless perfect tubes for days !! Jalama was the best place for tripping right Mark?? 8)