Club Dues...(BOOOOOOO !! )

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Joel5150Photo
Local (More than 25 post)

Club Dues...(BOOOOOOO !! )

Post by Joel5150Photo »

Greetings from joel5150photo; Everytime bring up the subject of "Club Dues=$$$ " i get shut down...why??!! having some money in the bank would be good, perhaps order some x-tra kneeboards to have around if a traveling K.B.Brother comes too town, or if some one gets hurt..(or goes to a mexican jail). a reaty cash account could really help, Perhaps let M.R. do his voodoo and well make some real money!!!have a cool ksusa bumper sticker and a news letter, perhaps send a gromit ( or photographer!! ) to a event that he/she cannot afford??we have 1900(+-) members , at $ 5.00 X 1900=A SERIOUS CHUNK'O CHANGE !!more money means more Gatherings, More surfing events, im NOT talking about full page ads in ER,ING,T-World,I like flying below the main line Surf Radar, being the Black Sheep of the sport is ...cool, an Outlaw,a Rebel,THAT is what kneeboarding is all about!!! (for me) i welcome all comments,good or bad...Kneeboards...RULE !!joel5150photo. doin' the K.B. thing sinse...1967.
albert
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by albert »

Sorry, I am confused,

You want to charge every member of KSUSA 5$ for being a member of this forum? :?
Joe Taylor

Post by Joe Taylor »

Huh... this does not sound so good to me.
I like KSUSA as a free flowing forum, which builds community, comradere and spirit around the world, for all kneelos.
Fees would only benefit a very few of the 1900 forum members.
If someone wants to put more money in the KSUSA fund, there is a dontate button on the left side of the home page. Kneelos can throw cash that way, if they so choose. It all goes towards a great cause...
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

No disrespect, but once money gets involved bad things start to happen.
The best things in life are free. :D
Andy

Post by Andy »

Well......a couple a reasons why not:

1 Maybe only the USA members would benefit....all the overseas guys woiuld probably stop contributing which would be a great loss.
2 If you start running this as a business, only those who see profit would be members.
3 That doesnt sound like a sound basis on which to perpetuate the great cameraderie that is kneeboarding, along with all the oddballs, misfits and even some straight & regular guys which when all thrown into the mix make kneeboarding and this site ....errrr...interesting.

There, just my $5 worth..... :wink:

Andy
griz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by griz »

When did KSUSA become a club :shock:
griz

Post by griz »

:arrow:
Last edited by griz on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Joel wrote:having some money in the bank would be good, perhaps order some x-tra kneeboards to have around
I agree, a capital plan! Been working on it (off and on) the last lifetime or so. No joy as yet. I'm beginning to suspect my habit of spending time floating in the sea limits my ability to get hold of the stuff.
Joel5150Photo

ksusa "Club Dues"BOOOOOOO !!

Post by Joel5150Photo »

Greetings to all joel5150 here...again...Thank you to everyone who responded to Dues BOOOOOOO! i read em' all and you all have some good points,2 more points id like too make:1. Being a "Club" gives you clout,buying powerIE a "BLOCK " of tickets to go somewhere, a sea cruze,a tropical island, a forign land,(south africa, Scotland, Austraila,) travel agents love "Clubs" it gives them leverage to get better prices on...EVERYTHING !! cars,lodging,flights, 2.) Dues $$$ use the money to build up a "Bank" of kneeboards around the globe: if your board is damaged stolen or breaks on a surf trip that could "Pooch" the whole trip ,try renting a kneeboard.. i got laughed out of a surf shop[, "We dont rent no stinking kneeboards!!" said the snotty clerk, have some Blasts in Hawaii, some parkes,&Flashpoints Down Under, some Freelines, Romanoskys,K-58s,Clearys,Schkloffs, here in San Diego,Europe, Mexico, costa rica,europe,every where we travel theres a Bank o' kneeboards, airlines charge a heck of a lot to take a board, and if its damaged... THERE NOT RESPOCCEABLE !! (Read the fine print!) I willl lead by example: i have room for 10 boards in my condo in Oceanside Ca, 1 1/2miles from 5 fwy, 30 min from San Diego Airport i will host the first Kneeboard Bank!!! joel5150photoKNEEBOARDS RULE !!!!!
Amanda Taylor

Post by Amanda Taylor »

Joel,
Joe and I have been involved with SCTA, the Southern California Timing Association (land speed racing/Bonneville type racing) for many years. The SCTA is a governing body of 12 clubs all over SoCal, with members from the States and abroad.
I was Secreatry for one of these clubs, the Gear Grinders.
Let me tell you about being a "club": there are by-laws which get changed every year (which requires a committee). These "laws" tell you how to do the stuff you love but with major rules and consequences, (this make the insurance companies happy, who have to be dealt with yearly to renew your policy).
If you want a "club" then you will need a minimum of 4 different "clubs", with an overseeing governing body to start simultaneously, each club with its own set of voted-in officers. These "clubs" must meet regularly with agendas (action items, etc).
As a Gear Grinder our dues are $125 per person, per year to have insurance over 6 races on the dry lakes, plus 2 additional time trials at Bonneville. This is barely touching the surface of what needs to be done to be considered a "legal" "club" here in the States.
It's not as easy as just saying we're a "club", as most may think. It's a hell of a lot of work. I don't think the officers of KSUSA would enjoy the amount of work created for them by becoming a governing body over the first four "clubs" (me included).
In terms of a kneeboarding bank, I've seen many posts of those in the kneelo community who post their plans of travel, who are well taken care of. I know here in the OC there are many who would share boards and surf spots in a heartbeat.
Joel, I do hear what you are saying, however, are you willing to take on the true duties/responsibilites of what it takes to be a great "club"? I know Joe and I would put in at least 40 hours a month of volunteer time to our car club.
It seems to me, we've a pretty good thing going right now with KSUSA... if it's not broken, don't fix it.

This is my $10.50 worth. No hard feelings, it's hard work and tough to be a true club in the US.... taxes, bylaws, insurance, paper trails, etc. Our Country has a ton of laws.
I would love to see us do this, but it takes a ton of committment from a ton of people, often.
We're surfers, in it for the soul and our freedom.

Amanda/Singe
Jimputz

Post by Jimputz »

It seems to me, we've a pretty good thing going right now with KSUSA... if it's not broken, don't fix it.
Thanks Amanda for the play-by-play on how a true "Club" operates.
Makes my head spin :roll:
Can't say enough about Don Harris's KSUSA and what it's done for our KB community, especially here in Southern California where a large "hoard" of us reside.
On any given weekend day you'll find on average 10 of us in the water on a regular basis, approaching 20 at times.
Between us there's well over a hundred+ kneeboards, and THAT is the SoCal branch of the World Kneeboard Bank as far as I'm concerned, and I'm sure many of us here would agree.
Another thing..........doesn't AUS, UK, New Zealand, and Japan have there own Kneeboard Websites just like us here in the States?
As the saying goes....."opinions are like A$$holes" and this is my itty-bitty 5cents worth.
I totally understand Joel's vision for KSUSA.
It just sounds like a little too much work and not enough play. :D