Mechanics of Paddling a Kneeboard

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Bumps
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bumps »

Hey Fossilman,

That was me paddling left, hate to disappoint you but, I'm your age, surf as much as you maybe less,( that was my first surf in almost 3 months)..due to work and I live 50ks to the closet beach or 3 hours to surf with my mates, had a major shoulder recon a few years ago and the other shoulder needs one now.

Don't stress, just go to the gym, speak to a Personal trainer and let them know why you are training and for what sport, go for a swim or just try and get in the water.

Worst case get one of those 'Chuck Norris' training machines, not the cheap one but a middle of the road and some of the exercises are the closest thing to paddling.

go for it old man :wink: and just enjoy it..I do!

Bumps
'Your site has been suspended for suspicious activity or complaints'.
quadfin
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by quadfin »

KneeBumps wrote:Best advice I saw was in the book "Kook"

"Paddle with your arms, not your hands..." It does mean that you rock to the side a bit when paddling, but you get used to the rhythm.

Also holds for swimming -see Total Immersion swim videos.
One of the changes that I have made is rocking side to side and getting more arm involvement but only when I am trying to beat a set. Found that dropping back and kicking only gives me more energy for those bursts.
Surf Hard Live Slow
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Hey Bumps, thanks for the encouragement , I think we're close to even on the time between sessions, at least during this season ( my busy time). Funny you mention the Total Gym, actually I have the cheap model but I've blocked it up off the floor, ordered a pair of the flat-faced paddling handles from VASA and use it regularly. Not as beneficial ( on many levels) as a good surf, but when I do get back in the water, I haven't lost too much ground.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Had the op to test out my paddling techniques today in head high plus surf and rips. We have a jetty where we paddle the rip to the outside and then head down the beach about 1/4 mile to the surf spot against the current rushing to the jetty and pass. I noticed today that I was gaining on shortboarders and longboarders by laying back and just kicking as they would have to rest and lose ground. Was a good marker as I never knew how much speed I could generate by just kicking.

Used two boards today. One is a blade and the other has a lot of float. Actually could generate just as much speed and get into the waves quicker with the blade as I could get more arm into the water over the rail. Nothing wrong with the floaty board and it has it's merits but did not help with my paddling.

Oh and when I switched boards I did not tie the leash properly and got to spend some quality time analyzing my survival swimming skills in rips. :lol:
Surf Hard Live Slow
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

Hey Quadfin

I may have missed your point. I can manage quite long freesurfs but rely on timing/cunning? rather than just exerting myself to get back out every time. i'll often stand on a sandbank waiting for a lull or to look for a rip. By contrast the younger/fitter crew just seem to hop back on and get out pretty easily.

However in comps the luxury of dawdling back out no longer applies. If I get through the first heat I usually hit the wall midway through the second heat. So from my experience it's fitness first then technique a fair second at least under general beachbreak conditions.
Shelfbreak
red

Post by red »

Tips from a "how to surf book". I've used them for a few years now and they seem to work (but I do have big hands and long arms driving a light frame ;-)

Stroke as close to the centre line as possible - ideally along the stringer
Arm in at close to full stretch, out before hip line
Arm in, glide for a bit with hand outstretched, then pull backwards - no upward force
Similarly when arm past chest - no downward force, i.e. entire stroke is focused on pulling and pushing water along the stringer line

Beware - it's really tiring! But more efficient, so you can slow your rate of paddling and still cover ground.
Remember elbow higher than wrist on the recovery stroke and you'll minimise rotator wear.
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

For what it's worth, I once figured out that the distance between waves in a set size where I was starting to poop my wetti was (when howling onshore) about twenty paddle strokes (ie 20 right hand, 20 left)

So when I feel like doing some exercisize on smaller days I do speed bursts of 20 paddle strokes , then a small rest, then another burst.

Comes in handy on bigger days, especially when you are a coward like me (bigger is >= than six foot Australian style ie two foot Hawaiian ;) )

I also use webs, trick is to keep your fingers open - kills your shoulders though - swimmers also were/are? trained to keep their fingers slightly open and use a scooped palm shape - so maybe that's something to consider

Red: I am sorry I missed you for that coffee :oops: