Mechanics of Paddling a Kneeboard

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

quadfin
Legend (Contribution King!)

Mechanics of Paddling a Kneeboard

Post by quadfin »

After a long semi recovery from Achilles surgery and while watching the movie "Soul Surfer", it dawned on me that my paddling mechanics might not be perfect. In the movie Bethany has to rediscover how to paddle a board..something she did instinctively before and probably without much thought.

So...I started by moving my flippered feet closer together and tried to get a steady rhythm going and seems to have some positive results. I realized that as boards had got longer and tails wider that my legs were spread apart like a ...well..spread apart. I am now trying to keep my legs in for more thrust for the paddle out, except for the duck dives, and stay with my spread eagle on takeoffs as I tend to use my arms more and launch into waves.

Anyone else done any comparisons in paddling techniques or fin/paddling combinations?
Surf Hard Live Slow
sarj
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by sarj »

I've always used the Maytag Rule. Anyone out in the water getting compared to looking like a Maytag is probably doing it wrong.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Up to 5ft I am lazy and just use my arms or legs above that I need to be in 4WD.
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
The Kid
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by The Kid »

i might not use flippers but when I want to catch a bunch of waves, I elongate my strokes and that seems to help. when the waves are faster and hollower I shorten my arm length but paddle faster if I'm in deep.
The Kid
KenM

Post by KenM »

"The centipede was quite happy, quite. Until the toad said 'pray, which leg comes after which?' This worked his mind to such a pitch, he lay distracted in a ditch, considering how to run."
Last edited by KenM on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by norm »

I get to surf only twice a week, so paddling is a weak point for me. I have some vipers that really help me get some thrust, and I get most of my speed catching waves generated by arm paddling.
One of the things I've become aware of is the arm paddling and kicking with fins has to be in sync for me to get in a good rythm to catch waves. Just an observation, but a lot of good stand up surfers still kick hard... and I think it's to get the right rythm, not necessarily generating thrust.
norm
halbs
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

paddling techniques

Post by halbs »

I am currently the unfittest I have been in a while due to an achilles rupture and subsequent recovery from surgery, and I am getting in one surf a week if I'm lucky! Added to that is the fact that I am down to one fin as I wanted to give my injured leg time to recover without the risk of wearing a fin and having it twisted etc. The other night I got to surf some perfect 5'+ waves and it exposed my lack of fitness big time also having a new "technique" hasn't helped, however I am keen to persist and improve. It is an aspect of surfing that you really don't think about until you feel it going pear shaped, I currently feel like the Michelin man paddling a car tube but surely that will improve. Off to Bali in two weeks so at least the 4/3mm can come off!
getting there is often as good as getting there
red

Post by red »

I try to not paddle too much for waves - I'm too unfit. I try to get into position, sink the tail really deep, and use the pop out to get going, then two strokes and up.

If I have to grovel onto a wave, it's Maytag time.

With the long (6') boards I can't kick and paddle effectively at the same time, except when a wave is pushing me.
It's either / or. Good paddling trim or a bit further back so my knees clear the tail.
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

Quadfin and Halbs

I doubt it's your technique but catching waves usually requires a momentary burst of exertion where you up your paddling rate and effort. I wouldn't dismiss the impact your injuries might have on your ability to apply that extra exertion early in your comebacks from an extended layoff.

Good luck :)
Shelfbreak
Andy

Post by Andy »

Haha Red, the good ole "pop n go" technique :D

I realised (again) the other day how the lightness/manouverability/lack of inertia of a kneeboard makers this possible - went out on the longboard on a small glassy day-man did I have to paddle my guts out to get the blasted thing going - catching a wave means diarising it first, it takes that long! I reckon on a kneeboard its those 2 or 3 critical strokes where you give it everything, try to paddle yourself off your board - that gets you from zero to hero (and hopefully onto the wave before anyone else) :lol:

cheers

Andy
IronMonkeyone

paddle technique

Post by IronMonkeyone »

I am still trying to work on my paddle technique as well. I feel pretty slow compared to a INS drug interceptor boat with three 350HP motors.
My technique is pretty simple. I pretend that someone just stole my snickers bar and is trying to outrun me. It's just not gonna happen! :wink:
I am part monkey and part fish. Opposable thumbs and great set of gills and flippers.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Shelfbreak wrote:Quadfin and Halbs

I doubt it's your technique but catching waves usually requires a momentary burst of exertion where you up your paddling rate and effort. I wouldn't dismiss the impact your injuries might have on your ability to apply that extra exertion early in your comebacks from an extended layoff.

My 3 year anny is coming up on my injury and I have been assigned a permanent impairment rating which my Attorney is discussing with the State, so that is all I have to say about that. :lol:

My paddle out technique was what was lacking. Long paddles here with no channels and short period waves hitting me on the head and reduced lung capacity was shortening my sessions. I still do the plant and go and find my slightly negative float Flashpoint does that better than more floaty boards that I have. A lot has to do with the bottom shape as well.
Surf Hard Live Slow
JACKSON

Post by JACKSON »

quadfin wrote:
Shelfbreak wrote:Quadfin and Halbs

My 3 year anny is coming up on my injury and I have been assigned a permanent impairment rating which my Attorney is discussing with the State, so that is all I have to say about that. :lol:

My paddle out technique was what was lacking. Long paddles here with no channels and short period waves hitting me on the head and reduced lung capacity was shortening my sessions. I still do the plant and go and find my slightly negative float Flashpoint does that better than more floaty boards that I have. A lot has to do with the bottom shape as well.
i do the same thing john . wait till the wave is steep ,jam the tail down ,launch, paddel and kick like mad for a second. if i dont catch it i back off right away and wait for another :D
Fossil Man

Paddling Mechanics

Post by Fossil Man »

I've never been a strong paddler and now that I'm in my early fifties AND don't get in the water that often due to work, I tend to get really sore shoulders like an aggravated rotator cuff. Fooj recommended to me using something more akin to a swimmers stroke, it helped; then I bought a video from VASA trainer titled: Better Technique+More Power=Faster Swimming, presented by Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen , multiple,multiple world record holder. Her style of swimming helps to employ the stronger muscles in the chest along with the arms to go faster / longer. It's application to paddling a 23 1/2" wide kneeboard is not ideal but it has helped a lot. Noticed Waka's Go-Pro Cam footage recently posted,had a kneelo paddling for a left that seemed to be covering some ground cleanly. I always try to learn from shots like that.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Best advice I saw was in the book "Kook"

"Paddle with your arms, not your hands..." It does mean that you rock to the side a bit when paddling, but you get used to the rhythm.

Also holds for swimming -see Total Immersion swim videos.
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George