don't want to be the new Bad Vibes Bob...but these kooks

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Jerry
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Jerry »

No S.U.Ps allowed at my favorite break. Simply not tolerated by the locals. Not even Gerry Lopez. He was shown the door post haste the first time he tried. Legend status get's you nowhere here. And that's the way it should be.
But back to SF's original post and his lamenting the lack of surf etiquette. And he mentioned how he moved down the beach to an empty peak to escape the chaos. Maybe it's because I'm old ( just turned 59 ) or maybe I'm just anti-social, but for the past few years I too have been moving down the beach to the uncrowded and sometimes inferior peak. And I'm loving it. After 47 years of wave riding, what brings me the most joy now days is the solitude, quiet, mindfulness and exercise that comes with riding waves. The whole, corny one with nature thing. I'm pretty much done with the jousting, the you paddle past me, I'll paddle past you, call you off, call you out, yelling, screaming, punching, macho b.s. My favorite person to surf with is myself. ( and maybe you, Daniel and Sara. ) It's come to the point where I would much rather surf a C+ wave by myself or with a couple of friends than surf an A+ wave with an out of control mob. But that's just me :wink:
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
womble

Post by womble »

Try surfing at the infamous Snapper Rocks super bank (wank) ... or D'bah ... or Currumbin Ally during the yuletide season ... Noosa even ... its seriously mind blowingly maniacally insane.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand.
While imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Albert Einstein ... Yeah Bert.
IronMonkeyone
Local (More than 25 post)

Yikes alive!!!

Post by IronMonkeyone »

Yes, the water is becoming infiltrated with more uneducated idiots every day.

Seems like EVERYWHERE is turning into a Lower trestles situation...Ponto used to be a fun destination until the area got developed with 40,000 units some 15 years ago, and then quite a bit more. It too is another Lowers...as Blacks, the cliffs, local beaches, or anywhere these days.

Regarding SUP's, I do SUP on occasion... BUT..... when it is about one foot high and too small to do anything else. Or a bay cruise, or a downstream paddle...Or, if there is actual surf it is at my local breaks that I have surfed for 40 years. I love it when a 4 year "local veteran" tries to call me out in my own backyard. I am more menacing on my kneeboard than on my SUP. Because there are real waves and I sit deeper as we kneeboarders do. I am at least courteous to the others in the line-up when SUPing.

It all just comes down to etiquette. The locals who ride SUP's are usually polite, and call us onto waves rather than hog them, or they get the vibe from the rest of us.

A kook should just stay out of the way regardless about what they are on, ESPECIALLY if they are on a SUP. It is up to us to school them...
I am part monkey and part fish. Opposable thumbs and great set of gills and flippers.
IronMonkeyone

hahaha BAD VIBES BOB!!!

Post by IronMonkeyone »

I know BAD VIBES BOB!!!!!!!! He is a knee-low from SD!!!!
BAH HA HA HA ha ha ha!!!!
I am part monkey and part fish. Opposable thumbs and great set of gills and flippers.
analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

Been surfing EDITED Polynesia yesterday, EDITED rights this morning just Maui and myself. 4-5' off shore all day. Came to grief this morning I got greedy and kept going when I should have flicked out, ended up on the ledge in 1' of water, all ok though. Love this place, crowded is 6 people and they let you have waves oh yeah and the EDITED oh boy so sweet. Bora Bora tomorrow hahahahahahahah
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
ross

over it

Post by ross »

Speaking of kooks,

I've spent the last 15 years surfing the island your spruiking without mentioning it to anyone outside of close friends and people who already know of it. I'd love to call Smith and let him know your in the area and looking for a tour

It's uncrowded for a reason EDITED

Not to mention off topic.

Why not head back to your "guess what everyone I'm going on what I consider a long surf trip " thread. Then I can laugh at it over there. :lol:
sf_firestarter

Re: over it

Post by sf_firestarter »

ross wrote:Speaking of kooks,

I've spent the last 15 years surfing the island your spruiking without mentioning it to anyone outside of close friends and people who already know of it. I'd love to call Smith and let him know your in the area and looking for a tour

It's uncrowded for a reason EDITED

Not to mention off topic.

Why not head back to your "guess what everyone I'm going on what I consider a long surf trip " thread. Then I can laugh at it over there. :lol:
ha ha, man has a point.
jdc

Compond words

Post by jdc »

yeah....but its a bit rough calling analbirth EDITED
i like surfing
Jerry

Re: Compond words

Post by Jerry »

[quote="jdc"]yeah....but its a bit rough calling analbirth EDITED[/quote] :roll: I get it. Good one, jdc :wink:
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
ross

Post by ross »

Yeah ok a little abrasive.I apologise.

But naming the place for no good reason just feeds the problems being discussed above. Naming breaks just makes me see red, I just cant understand the motivation behind it.

Thats what private messages are for. But then, no-one would see that would they?

Perhaps a little more on topic than I first thought :?:
griz

Post by griz »

Google Earth must be full of EDITED :shock:
ross

Post by ross »

Yeah totally my point Griz

All it takes is a little prompting and clueless google earth EDITED start popping up everywhere!
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

I'm with Ross. Hate to see that island mentioned.

One of my best trips... And I never breath a word of it.

Problem is, all it takes is a Google Search, and now this forum will pop up. Last think we need is some rumor that Kneelo's are trying to zoo out remote islands. Puts a target on all our backs for some grumpy idiot to spout off about.

Remember the fiasco caused by the Big Sur Gathering and the URL on one photo. :roll:

Come on AB... Get in there and edit that one. :wink:
griz

Post by griz »

Surf trips and honeymoons are polar oposites :shock:
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Funny it's the same deal over here. It takes all the joy from surfing away from me to the point that I'm pretty over it. Not got time to chase down the quiet spots and wiser than planting myself in a pack. Seems the pecking order and days of earning your spot in a line up are gone. I get paddled passed by kids at my local when I've been surfing there longer than they've been alive! Best days are definitely the more average stuff but to be honest I'm getting more joy from my other water pursuit as it still allows a degree of solitude without all the hassle and bs.