don't want to be the new Bad Vibes Bob...but these kooks

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

sf_firestarter
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

don't want to be the new Bad Vibes Bob...but these kooks

Post by sf_firestarter »

I'm finding myself growing ever more frustrated surfing with those I find in the water. The last two times I've been out I've watched, shoulder hopping, droppins, board bailing in front of others, in position no-take-offs, etc etc...

Saturday morning at Ocean Beach started the weekend of KOOK but yesterday afternoon just put me off. Within minutes I watched all of the above happen at Bolinas, even my sister, who herself is new to bodyboarding commented that she was scared to be in the water. We moved down to a little shorebreak peak to get away within 10 minutes.

It was not long ago some size would eliminate most of this crowd but OB on Saturday was well overhead and they were out in even larger numbers.

I just want to have a good time in the water. How do you guys deal with this? I'm growing tired of "informing" of surf etiquite.
Masons

Post by Masons »

I've had a few fights on the beach and water in the past 3 years, 1 being at Rincon and another being at a local spot here.

It has come to the point where people are down right disrespectful, rude, and dangerous in the line-up. If they won't listen to my polite explanation and request for etiquette (and I always say it more than once..) than I'm ready to get physical.

Its sad that surfing has come to this, but I remember similar things happening when I grew up kneeriding/bodysurfing Newport. Same sh*t, different people, but now there are more beginner and KOOK surfers than EVER.

Just a few days ago at Rincon it was MAYBE 3-4' with 5-7' faces at best. I had to duckdive the same IDIOT who bailed off his SUP twice, that is a fricken' 15 foot, massive board of DEATH that is tombstoning in front of me because the owner cannot duck dive or "float over" a 5' face section and just jumps off the board. Leash must have been 15-25' lol, gnarly having to duck dive under that thing twice and I told him so.

He got out of the water after that, I wasn't the only one being vocal off indicators as a number of people were put in a scary spot by him bailing his SUP, and he wasn't riding ANYTHING, just bailing if he got caught inside a set a bit... F*** SUPs
eqKneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by eqKneelo »

SF- you and I are shadowing each other.

Had a blast at OB Satruday with Don, Creediler, Wessling, and Schiff. It was big enough at Middle Beach that anyone who didn't grow up there or have serious experience was just a bouy. I love that wave so much... And it's crowd control might be its best asset.

Last night at SeaDrift was another story.

7 idiot beginners on SUP's and a couple salty dudes on 12ft Longboards made for an annoying hour. I still got waves, but it was a hassle. (Last half hour was just three of us and it was fun and draining).

Only way to handle these guys, is to bark. A lot.

I scream at guys, and don't stop until they get out of the way. At times, you need to be vulgar. I watch guys get ugly, and it works.
I know it's the antithesis of surfing, but NOTHING else works. Ever. (sigh)

Sucks, but thanks to SURFLINE, and Kelly, and Blue Crush, and the billion dollar surf industry packaging and selling a manufactured image and lifestyle, it's the world we live in.

Another good strategy: in between sets, start very loud conversations with other guys in the lineup about what idiots SUP's are... How there are the worst aspects of Longboarders and Jet SKIERS.. How they are dangerous and have no place in the line-up. How you know a kid in a coma from getting run over. Most SUP's paddle away.

Every once in awhile, one will pull the "Hey Bro... We're all having fun." and then you lay into them.
" No dude... You're having fun.. Our session is ruined by your very presence... And this is why you're all getting banned. There are dozens on lawsuits in the courts. Once a city beach is held liable, everyone will start suing SUP's and their local cities. You guys will be banned. You're only hope is for u and your buddies to never EVER surf near another surfer. Otherwise, you are building a legion of enemies."

:shock: The guys usually just paddle away... Suddenly concerned about their liability insurance. 8) :lol:

I loved the motion in San Diego to make them wear helmets, whistles, and life jackets. :P

Sadly, I don't surf Lowers or Malibu or Rincon anymore. Just not worth it.
randiego

Post by randiego »

eqKneelo wrote: Sadly, I don't surf Lowers or Malibu or Rincon anymore. Just not worth it.
Hey Ed - you can throw Blacks into that - we're the new Lowers! :evil: :evil: Thanks Surfline!
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
sf_firestarter

Post by sf_firestarter »

Suddenly Unoccupied Projectile (SUP) I'm sure we all have stories about those.

First wave of the day on Saturday at Sloat, peak coming right to a friend and I sitting away from others. SUP starts making a b-line at an angle right at us, from at least 20' away, paddles onto the shoulder and drops in. We are both looking at eachother like, this is not actually happening, is it. My friend provides some instructions, guy's response is, "well you didn't go"

Are you f----g kidding me, I would have been dead, hit in the head by your giant piece of s*&^ you can't control with your 25' waist leash.

Aaarrrgggghhhh!!!!!
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Like I said... their very presence is a cancer. It ruins your session.

So ruin theirs.

Scream at them. Harrass them. Yell at them whenever they paddle for a wave... regardless if they are in position. Cheer when they wipe-out. Never make nice. Never say "good wave" or "good morning".

It's the ONLY thing that works. They have superior paddle ability, you need to make them self conscious.

And get the "mob mentality" whipped into a frenzy in the line-up. Everyone is thinking it, so Start everyone talking and swearing and cursing.

Lots of guys won't act unless they are in a pack... suddenly, 20 dudes are fighting for "Freeeeeeeeeedom!"

:lol:

Kman is a legend around here. From the second they are in earshot, he just starts jawing them. They keep their distance. :wink:

The "lawsuit" angle works too. There are a couple conscientious SUP's out there who are freaked out they will be banned like Jetski's or Blackballed like the wedge or sued.
Fuel the Fear.

SF. I'll be at VFW tomorrow at dawn with the Creediler. Models look good.
griz

Post by griz »

Nice for the heat to be transfered , I can recall when kneelos used to be at the receiving end of this kind of thing .
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

"Sucks, but thanks to SURFLINE, and Kelly, and Blue Crush, and the billion dollar surf industry packaging and selling a manufactured image and lifestyle, it's the world we live in."
So true we have them in Durban as well , they think having all of the "right"
equipment qualifies them , and SUPB's are becoming more and more popular
mostly ridden by guys who used to surf and think this is a shortcut to some waves , frikken hate them
A guy (kook)was telling me about his forthcoming trip to Bali he was a concerned as he had never ridden a left in his life yet ,talk about leaping before you can walk , but he did look the part according to the surfing media.
sf_firestarter

Post by sf_firestarter »

eqKneelo wrote:SF. I'll be at VFW tomorrow at dawn with the Creediler. Models look good.
In the office at 7am, therefore morning sessions not likely. Hope you guys scored, looks like its good out there. Thanks for the heads up.
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

I would say it is just a matter of time before those aircraft carriers are outlawed. It's probably going to take someone getting seriously hurt or killed though. . .
MWROBERTSON

Sups

Post by MWROBERTSON »

I know there are whole movements in areas to outlaw them. There is an attorney in Hb who has been handing out "No-SUP" stickers.

I think I heard from Curtis Odom or someone that Oceanside makes them register the boards like boats. License fees, registration etc. They are also considered a powered water craft so they are not allowed in the water at some city beaches there.

I now see Sups at HB pier, RJ's, State Park etc. UGGH!

Say your prayers. :?
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

danny shilling
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by danny shilling »

I went out a spot up north in the off season to avoid the crowds.low and behold 5 mal riders paddled out sat inside and bailed most waves, I paddled in in disgust and these tools from Perth were totally oblivious that what they had just did was uncool.
Paul
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

enforcement

Post by Paul »

No one likes localism, but that's what's it's going to take. If one person spews off it's a rant, if multiple people call someone out on their bad behavior that person thinks twice about it or at least paddles away with their tail between their legs. Get a buddy or two and enjoy watching their rides but be sure to have their backs at all times. Pretty soon you'll have a pocket spot of your own. 'Seen it work many a times all around the world.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Sad, but an international problem. It is one of the reasons I live where I live. On our rare crowded days the out-of-towns tend to gather in bait balls for protection from us geezers. You have to send in a SUP down the middle to break up the ball and have the longboarders with duct tape on the rails to pick them off. Pretty soon the ball gets so tight they are feeding on themselves. :lol:
Surf Hard Live Slow