Moderator: Moderator

Michael Raher
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

An oldie but a newbie!

Post by Michael Raher »

Hey guys,

Happy New Year to you all.

I grew up in Oz as a hardcore kneelo, worked between '86 and '91 at Piping Hot Wetsuits in Torquay, Victoria (rode a Friar Tuck) and moved to US in '95. Unfortunately over the years I have ridden less and less but now I want to get back into it for 2012.

Reading through this site and the forums has got me excited to get back on a board again. So cool to see names I admired growing up with in Oz still riding. I wish I'd kept it up :(

But, first things first, I need a board. Any recommendations? I'm 43, 6'0" and weigh 200 - 210lbs. I live in Ramona, CA so anywhere in SD County would be best.

Thanks for your time, guys. I hope your 2012 is a fantastic one and I hope to see you out in the water someday.

All the best,

Mick Raher
Akio Matsumoto
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Akio Matsumoto »

Michael ,Well Come To KSUSA Its Never To Late To Get Back Into Surfing No Matter What You Ride. I Live In Vista , And There Are Lots Of Us Kneeboarder Here In this Area . We Surf Mostly At Oceanside Harbour Or At The Pier Most At The Harbour ,So Its Close To Ramona So Come By In The Morning ,And Some One Always Have KneeBoard For Sale,Or Have Some One To Refer You to .Guy Name Graig Russell Got Tons Of Board Good Luck And Bring Your Wetsuite With You We Always Got Extra Board With Us For You To Ride See You There Some Day ,Akio
Kev
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Kev »

cool - welcome
many of us have come back to kneeboarding after many years away
and probably surfing better than ever
equipment and techniques have improved

Piping Hot made my suits in those days
alas a Kmart brand these days
ClanB

Post by ClanB »

Im in the same boat you are Mick. Its very exciting to get back at it. Im doing the board hunt too. Im 43 ,heavier than I was but dropping. When you get out give us a report of your 1st few sessions. :D
Last edited by ClanB on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toofast3
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by toofast3 »

Welcome Mike,
I`m one of the O`Side clan. More then happy to introduce you to the rest of guys. I`m a smaller guy then you (5-7 160#), but, if you want to ride something temperory, my biggest board is 5'8" and you are welcome to use it. I`m just down the hill from you in Escondido. I`ll be heading to the beach tomorrow morning.
Zeke
Michael Raher

Post by Michael Raher »

toofast3 wrote:Welcome Mike,
I`m one of the O`Side clan. More then happy to introduce you to the rest of guys. I`m a smaller guy then you (5-7 160#), but, if you want to ride something temperory, my biggest board is 5'8" and you are welcome to use it. I`m just down the hill from you in Escondido. I`ll be heading to the beach tomorrow morning.
Zeke
Much appreciated, Zeke, very cool of you. I will definitely take you up on the offer but, unfortunately, I can't tomorrow. Some other time?
Mick
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Welcome Mick!
There's some great surf around SD as well :D