One of these days

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Riq dekneelo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

One of these days

Post by Riq dekneelo »

I have just come back to the cabin after finally realizing an ambition I've had for the last 8 years.
There's a break down here at the bottom of Tassie that due to circumstance, bad timing and conflicting commitments I've never had before today.
Called Lagoons it's a right hand tube machine, with a very particular swell and wind window.
Lots of the Hobart boys had come down, reading the conditions with a mix of local knowledge and wave forecasting website peeking but what the heck, it was awesome.
How can it get any better than this? well
There was another kneelo in the lineup ripping, :D ( riding one of Parkesy's) this (and the usual ' hey you're a kneelo, don't see many of you around.... my dad's a kneelo was here yesterday but had to work today.... yadda yadda.) and the fact it was an outstanding wave.
This session, I got a beauty, straight to the pool room of outstanding wave memories. :D
now back on the deck, cool beers and sunny glow, not bad.
My son reckons that another couple of feet to the wave size cleans out the crew and the bank'll hold it...... I can always dream, taken me this long to get it on can't wait for another shot....
Cheers,
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
change the only constant or the board is not the limitation
Tinso
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Tinso »

Nice work mate. Isn't that what it's all about...?

Did you used to hang around Newy by any chance?
...but I like to be different...
feralmick

Post by feralmick »

Onya Riq, vaguely remember what a barrell is.
analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

jeez riq, your game naming secret breaks on this site....... :lol:
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
Riq dekneelo

Post by Riq dekneelo »

AB,
no secrets about this place, just doesn't do it every day, as I said a very particular swell and wind window.... tassie surfers are nothing if not dedicated... yesterday while I was surfing there were about 6 locals ( live on the island) and about 30 blow-ins from Hobart ( 2 hours away, inc a ferry) in the water. Still there were plenty as it goes a long way and the mob were spread over the length, the crew changing a the day progressed before the on-shore.
This was Sunday at the end of a very long weekend, so there were probably a lot of non local crew camping on the island.)
There are plenty of really secret places in Tassie, or rather lots of remote places.
you either access by boat or like my son's experience a couple of weeks ago surfing Lion rock at SE Cape, google that...
' a 3 hour walk in, a couple of surfs and a 4 hour walk out'. He and his surfing mate were the only surfers there, tho a group of hikers went by on the South Coast Track.

Mick,Has the rain stopped yet? did you get flooded?
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

Hey riq great to hear you cracked a few down there
Is that on the tricky twin you had a few years back
I was talking to the USA crew about that time the sunshine coast crew were at your place & had all the boards standing up for a photo shoot & as we where admiring the things of beauty a gust of wind. Came through & like a house of cards blew them down . All we could do was watch in dismay
At the USA nationals we started to set up all of the lovely donated prize boards the same way when I had a flashback to that day.
Needless to say we layed them down & a breeze did come through
Thank god for learnt experiences. Hahaha :?
scott
Riq dekneelo

Post by Riq dekneelo »

Hi Wanderer,
Yeah still on the tricky fish, though sharing the water with a Parkes quad ridden by a talented chap, Phil Kelley.
:D :D
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
fruitbat

Post by fruitbat »

Riq-sounds great especially the beer. I was on Bruny about 2 years ago. loved the place. had a surf at Cloudy Bay -only 2 of us out.Great running into other kneelos - I have heard the name Phil Kelley before. I ran into kneelos at scamander and murrawah. Got any photos of Lagoons?
Kev

Post by Kev »

I think Phil is in one of Margo's DVDs
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Hey Riq, i know mate it was a bit of a sideways dig at some who think there is such a thing. Never mind sounds like you scored hey.
Riq dekneelo

Post by Riq dekneelo »

AB, no problemo :) The island surfers get antsy about the crowd scene, you know hot under the helmet but it's always a mission to get to the island.
and being in rubber the turnover in the water is pretty constant. This time of year there are always people on the move. The locals have the conditions worked out to the max and will always have the edge here.

OAM will you be going to the Pa Bendall?
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
tasaloha

Post by tasaloha »

mate thats enough blabbing about tas surf spots! talk about "blowins"! there is no need to be talking about the spots mentioned, or any others.just enjoy without the advertising!!
DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

analbirth wrote:Hey Riq, i know mate it was a bit of a sideways dig at some who think there is such a thing.
The funniest part about that is that the surfer in questions parents actually live in Tassie and he knows all the secret spots that are still secret......
I'm interested in apathy
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

i love fishing you never know what you'll get :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and riq, OAM don't think so it being at easter, way too many people for me. I'm headed for my island bolt hole 8)
ross

kook fishing

Post by ross »

Riq,

We've discussed a few things deep south in the past. But some of those names could have used a bit of discretion. I know they aren't secrets anymore, but you must have noticed the increase in the crowds down there these passed years. In fact I have a board and camping gear stashed at one of the places you mentioned and would like it to be there, undamaged when I return.

Hey Riq, i know mate it was a bit of a sideways dig at some who think there is such a thing.

Well, little fella, that says more about your character than anything else. Keep chewing on them bricks though, I obviously stuck a cord.
enjoy without the advertising!!

Exactly tasaloha.

Remember when most things "Australian" didn't require the advertising?