Sharks at Pacific Palisades/Will Rogers State Beach

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Would you go out in the water after a shark sighting or shark attack had been reported at the same beach?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:45 pm

If the waves are good, I'm out there as soon as the lifeguards open the beach!
32%
If the waves are good, I'm out there even before they open the beach!
27%
If the waves are good, I'll at least wait for the blood to clear out first.
No votes
I'll go surf, but I'll find someplace else to go out.
18%
I'll probably wait a week before I go out again.
9%
No way, I'll go home and bury my head under the covers.
No votes
I'll go surf, but I'll bring a bunch of spongers with me for cover.
14%

Total votes: 22

Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

In victoria, phillip Island Australia, in the pub there is a picture and map and sizes drawn on the ceiling of a 6.5 tonne 26 foot long white pointer that was caught off the back of a local surfbreak called cat bay or right point. This year at the Phillip island comp there was an 8 foot seal on the beach with a absolutely huge bite out of it, actually it was almost the whole underneath of the seal, straight of the competition area. spooky because my first surf there when I paddled out it was not there, when i came to the beach an hour and a half later it was on the beach. one of my mates went very pale at the thought. :o
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

big fish

Post by K-man »

Now thats a big fish!Best part,it being recorded.Would love to see that pic and assorted data.One was recorded about that size back in the thirties off of cuba No pics,just verbal stuff[they drink lots of rum down there!]
Biggest I've personally seen was a big female named stumpy,19+ft at the farrallone islands-3ft under a 14ft.boston whaler-chewing on a 400lb elephant seal.
Bit of a chore getting back in the water after that!
SCGARY
Local (More than 25 post)

Re: big fish

Post by SCGARY »

K-man wrote:Now thats a big fish!Best part,it being recorded.Would love to see that pic and assorted data.One was recorded about that size back in the thirties off of cuba No pics,just verbal stuff[they drink lots of rum down there!]
Biggest I've personally seen was a big female named stumpy,19+ft at the farrallone islands-3ft under a 14ft.boston whaler-chewing on a 400lb elephant seal.
Bit of a chore getting back in the water after that!

Having worked on a commercial fishing boat I still can't get the image of a huge Mako that came sniffing around my butt as I cleared a downhaul while standing on the tailgate up to my hips in water. Where the #@$%$% did that guy come from? One minute he's not there next minute my buddy is yelling at me to get my arse out of the water pronto. :shock:
K-man

more shark stuff

Post by K-man »

SCGARY,
So ya hopped out of the water ''muy pronto''went down,changed your skivvies,and threw the brown stained ones overboard :lol:
Birdie

Re: Sharks at Pacific Palisades/Will Rogers State Beach

Post by Birdie »

[quote="DarcyM"]8:28 a.m. May 4, 2004

PACIFIC PALISADES – Will Rogers State Beach was open today, a day after several sharks – some as long as eight feet – were seen swimming as close as 100 yards from shore.

Ah ha haa

The homebreak makes national news...

If you go to my homepage, you'll see a picture of "Spot". Spot is about 6 feet long, a GWS about a year old, and was in the area last year.

There have been 5 others, one a 8 - 9 footer named Waldo, who was also seen last year.

GWS and other sharks, like the Salmon Shark (a mako) use southern california as a nursery....they come down here to give birth to all their pups.

This has been going on since before mankind was around.

One thing the young ones do, is they are curious and self taught, so they will bump, nip, and nudge things like...boats....surfboards....buoys...and people to see if hey are prey or a threat.

Best thing to do if you are bumped is stay calm, and slowly paddle in. If you want to act like you are prey - get scared and frantic, splash, and try to swim/paddle away and give chase as fast as you can....

If you bump them back, try to get them to hit your board, and slowly paddle in....chances are you will have taught them a lifelong lesson, that boards and people are not food.

I was in the water the day before they were spotted - on my Paipo, The Flying Tiger. Imagine that board will scare them.

They are looking for grunion - small fish - and sand sharks.

We have them every spring - summer.....the whole period of time the grunion run.

I think the kelp forests need to be replaced - so - their natural habitat in the bay is restored and they will stay further offshore.

Anyway, I have my boards designed to alert them that they are not a food source.

The locals don't mind them - we all go in no matter what....

just dopn't wear any jewlery or watches so you look like a fishing lure and you'll probably be OK....the worst they can do is bump, nip, nudge.

A surfer at the Manhattan Beach pier was bumped by one of them in April....

Our harbour seal, Slippery....made the news as he was out sunbathing - floating on his back, waving his pectoral flippers around to cool off (it was 90 degrees) and one of them came within a few feeet from him, but, he also had his tail flippers curled up over himself - so - there were no flippers the shark could nibble on - in the water - and he just looked like a solid mass to the shark...anyway, the shark got about 8 feet away and suddenly dove for deeper water and left Slippery alone...

So, my surf pal, Slippery is also just fine....

Same thing every year.

http://www.birdiebreeze.com
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

just dopn't wear any jewlery or watches so you look like a fishing lure and you'll probably be OK....
don't leave any raw liver jiuce on you either...
Birdie

Post by Birdie »

It was high tide and flat today on my way past...a coupla guys on a 20' or so fishing boat were out where the line-up normally is, tryin to catch a coupla.....

Next thing I know, I see the Baywatch boat hauling as* towards them...full throttle....

Worst thing is fishermen and their bait and chum hanging around.

Besides the fact catching a GWS shark comes wth a $1,000 fine and/or 6 months in jail....and, anyone out there trying for it, needs to be moving along....

I've been followed by what was probably a GWS pup there - a few springs ago...I calmly and slowly paddled in, on my sponge, while people on shore hollered and jumped up and down and waved me in....LOL.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Hi, Birdie - I like that stretch of coastline... lived in Santa Monica Canyon for a bit.

Here's a shark story - I was checking the waves at Topanga. It was one of those gorgeous, crystal clear blue late spring days with waves about 3 foot. All of a sudden surfers started paddling in and a couple lifeguards started running around the beach.

It seems there was a 5 foot blue shark swimming in the lineup, bumping into surfers. Someone had shot the shark in the head but didn't kill it.

The lifeguards then paddled out into the water with a speargun and shot the shark. All hell broke loose as the lifeguards wrestled the shark ashore and contiunued to wrestle the shark on the beach. The crew on the cliff was laughing their heads off..it was a pretty funny scene.
kbing since plywood days
Birdie

Post by Birdie »

Yeah, blue sharks are pretty cool...

They prefer deeper waters.

People used to be afraid of them, a lot more...then, from all the encounters with divers around Catalina, they realised that as long as you aren't bleeding or drowning in the open sea, they are pretty harmless.

A bullet in the head would explain why it was in the line-up - having a sense of direction problem.

People totally over react.

Depending on how you look at it - it's either really sad or funny...as idiots either are....
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I've been in the water with blues before. Many moons ago I was surfing the backside of Catalina at {name withheld.....in respect to the locals who have been my gracious hosts over the past 25 years } and was sitting on my board between sets.

The water was crystal clear and about 72: near-Nirvana for a Santa Cruz County KBer). When I looked down into about 15 feet of water, I saw 3 blues cruising around underneath me. Needless to say, my grip tightened on the little 5'6" Fish (its a loaner my frineds have stashed on the island) I was riding and my toes curled inside my Duck Feet.

As I sat stone-still, the sharks made a few passes along the bottom and then moved on down the beach. Then we just started surfing again.

My wife has been going to the island all her life and has some interesting shark stories from 1976 when she lived on Catalina and the year JAWS hit the theaters.
kbing since plywood days
Birdie

Post by Birdie »

I'm getting a 52" inflatable Bruce The Shark (Finding Nemo) pool toy and will get pictures of at least one of our Sunset/Will Rodgers surfers riding a wave on it... holding on to the pectoral fins....

We are hoping that the new Governor will help turn Will Rodgers into a Marine Sanctuary - which would make tighter clean water standards, restore the reef that was offshore (and broke with good swells) by removing the rock jetties along Will Rodgers that has caused the rock reef to be covered by sand.....which not only killed the reef but the kelp forest.....and to have a new kelp forest planted....

That will help keep the pups offshore....and away from the piers, etc.

I think they are coming in closer as the Santa Monica Bay has lost a lot of it's kelp forests....

And now about those Bruce the Shark bobble heads for the dashboard...

http://www.brucetheshark.com/
MTBarrels
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by MTBarrels »

Birdie wrote:I'm getting a 52" inflatable Bruce The Shark (Finding Nemo) pool toy and will get pictures of at least one of our Sunset/Will Rodgers surfers riding a wave on it... holding on to the pectoral fins....
Want a another shark-oriented wave-riding craft--and a good laugh at the same time? Check out US Patent # 5,318,467 (1994).

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Pars ... /5,318,467
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
stemple

Post by stemple »

Take a look at the drawings. Can you say gonad ripper!!!. What was this person thinking of. Just goes to prove 50% percent of people are below average intelligence.