shark attack

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

HOOPER
Local (More than 25 post)

shark attack

Post by HOOPER »

National| World| Business| Technology| Sport| Entertainment| Life & Style| Travel| Blogs Sponsored by

Ad Feedback Stuff Home National
Kia ora, Guest[Settings] [Logout] [ sign in] Crime Education Health Politics Videos Photos Weather Blogs Stuff Quizzes Christchurch earthquake Environment Science Oddstuff Quake photos » Quake videos » Shark attacks surfer in Taranaki
KIRSTY MCMURRAY Last updated 05:00 07/03/2012SharePrint Text Size SuppliedLUCKY ESCAPE: The bite marks left by a shark are clearly visible on Peter Garrett's lower leg. The photo was taken by one of the men who patched him up.Relevant offersA middle-aged man attacked by a shark off the Taranaki coast just on dusk last night was patched up by a couple of vets before heading off to see a doctor.

Peter Garrett, a New Zealander who has lived in Ireland for the past 15 years, was surfing 100m offshore at the Arawhata Rd surf break a few kilometres north of Opunake when he was mauled about 7pm.

Mr Garrett, home on a three-month holiday, suffered 10 lacerations, about 2cm deep, but was able to paddle clear.

Matt Thomas and James Bruce, who work as vets in Manaia and Eltham respectively, were surfing nearby when they saw and heard Mr Garrett panicking.

"I heard him shrieking, he was freaking out and thrashing around," Mr Bruce said. "He kind of kicked it off him and went in on the next couple of waves and went straight for the rocks."

The men followed Mr Garrett ashore when the shark turned its attention toward them.

"We came in when it started circling us," Mr Thomas said. "It nudged my mate Brucey and tried to get his fins. Then I was like, bugger this, I'm going in."

When they got to shore Mr Garrett showed them his wounds and they went to get medical supplies from a work vehicle.

"We got some iodine and some bandages and fixed him up. He said he'd go straight to a doctor," Mr Thomas said.

Mr Garrett felt dizzy when he got out of the water but hadn't checked in to the emergency department at Taranaki Base Hospital last night.

The vets, who took photographs of Mr Garrett's wounds, said he was still able to walk and thought he was OK to drive.

"He was bleeding quite a bit, you could tell from the teeth marks it could've been more serious," Mr Thomas said.

Mr Bruce said although surfers occasionally saw sharks in the water, it was unusual for one to attack.

"They don't usually cause trouble, it's pretty uncommon. But it was right on dusk which is feeding time for sharks too."

He was also surprised at the shark's determination."It kept coming back too, it didn't just happen and then get scared off, it was pretty interested."

Neither of the men knew what kind of shark it was.

"It could be the return of the Taranaki terror," Mr Bruce joked, referring to a six-metre great white that hounded fishermen during a couple of recent summers. He said surfers should keep an eye out for the shark.

Ad Feedback - © Fairfax NZ
boof

Post by boof »

Hi Craig i havent seen you around for a while. By the way its the Reporoa boy Chris Halsall. Gees it didnt take you long to post the shark atack article. The funny thing was that i was surfing all morning with Peter at Arawhata. and he was explning to me about all of his cuts on his leg with fin cuts from the rocks at Raglan after his wipeout last week. and now he has shark gashes.I decided to get a sleep and dinner. but Peter didnt think he would be a sharks dinner.PS if you are reeding this too hi Peter how are you going.
Craig what have you done to the surf at the Mt its been suck for ages.
Howard Lorney
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Howard Lorney »

Hi Chris, should have been at Omanu this morning. 2 1/2- 3 ft clean with light off shores. A few barrels to be had out there, even spied a longboarder(James) deep in one.

Swell should stick around for a few days.

Cheers Howard
Live for the moments that take your breath away.

kneed for speed
Justin
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Justin »

'Peter Garrett, 43, said, "it felt like being bitten by a playful rottweiler with extra-sharp teeth'''

Follow the link and read more also see Murray Weir and others hamming it up (funny).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-n ... ark-attack
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Great photo of those guys, beer and flowers :lol: Glad your ok. :D
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
James Newby

Shark Attack

Post by James Newby »

Craig,I'll back in NZ about 5th/6th july for 5 weeks and am looking at getting any one who's keen together for a weekend/few days down at Mahia.I can orgainise a batch which has lots of room and will load the Hilux up a few old school boards my collection for folks to test drive.If your interested can you let Howard or Vince know.
HOOPER

Post by HOOPER »

JAMES should me keen hopfully a a few good south swells cheer hoops