Ideas for shipping boards TO Hawaii?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Paul
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Ideas for shipping boards TO Hawaii?

Post by Paul »

Any ideas on how to ship a cheap board in a cheap way from California to Hawaii without actually flying there myself?

Online quotes for FedEx say $445. USPS web site says it can't be done. I need suggestions.

Discounts with a business license are not available to me.
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by K-man »

Did this awhile ago...Found a friend of a friend going to the islands.Stuffed my board in his bag..paid half the fee.I believe most airlines allow for two boards in one bag.If your connected to your local surfing community that's a start.Get the word out,board fees are expensive...be a good deal, for both parties.

cheers
kevin
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by kevin »

A freight forwarder like YRC.com will consolidate your shipment with others to fill a container, then ship it to Honolulu, were they break the container open and ship via Young Brothers to the outer islands. I've shipped a southbend lathe and a Bridgeport Mill from NorCal to Kauai for reasonabe amount.

Terminal to Terminal is the cheapest, and it takes 3-4 weeks.
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

couple of guys from this site comming to kauai. lets hook up and I could use a couple of boards for the "board bank". or maybe you wanna sell a board and anyone brings it. any ideas.
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
randiego

Post by randiego »

Paul - Buddy ships boards over here regularly via Fed Ex - it can't be that much or he wouldn't do it. Maybe it's a little more going in the opposite direction, but not THAT much more.

The volume of the box is critical. An inch here, and inch there makes a huge difference - like half. Play around with the calculator - you'll see.
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
gogglefog
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by gogglefog »

hey paul,

which island are you trying to get the board to?

i'm going to kauai from san diego in june. have a hard case that fits two boards and could probably split the board charges if you're trying to get it to kauai.