SUP riders and the general surfers DON'T mix.

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

bdwqld
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

SUP riders and the general surfers DON'T mix.

Post by bdwqld »

Sunday 22nd April, Point Cartwright Sunshine Coast. Surf 4-6 foot with a relaxed and easy going small crowd. Amongst us were two SUP riders, both very competent riders. Until one decides to get cocky and sit in the main cluster close to a sucky rock shelf. The first waves of the set come through and clean up those sitting on the inside edge of the take off zone. The SUP rider clumsily turns his craft into a late take off and proceeds to nose dive the board into the path of other surfers duck diving and trying to avoid the take off zone. :evil:
The SUP and rider lands on top of another surfer who was warning him very vocally that he was in the way. Something, either a fin or a paddle slices a 15cm gash in the calf of the poor bastard who got in the way, this gash split the calf right down to the tendons and bone. An Ambulance was called and the victim was carted off for surgery and a long lay off from the water. All this because of one totally irresponsible action, for which there was absolutely no remorse, and the victim being blamed for getting in the way.
I have seen too many encounters, this one by far the worst involving SUPs in critical zones.
How long will it be before a permanent disability or death becomes a headline due to the stupidity of one irresponsible SUP rider?
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
Kev
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Kev »

I was in the water that day and part of a strong Kneelo crew getting amongst some good waves.
Lucky for me I was out and wide waiting for some bigger sets after not being successful through the sucky swirling platform section.
For the SUP to be critical of the StandUp not paddling out of that area is just CRAP and arrogant Bull$^!*.
I got caught in there twice and it was not possible to simply paddle out of it.

So glad I didn't see any of it because the story alone still has me spooked. We had coffees after the session and the Kneelos told me what happened and it was hard to listen to images of bones and tendons etc....
:shock:
eeiwww
poor bloke is probably going to be out of the water for weeks.
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Probably being a bit hard on SUP riders, should include the bigger Mals (anything over 8 foot), Goat Boats (skis) and Kayaks in the rant as well.
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
Kev

Post by Kev »

We have 2 Goaters down south that are the real deal and I never feel unsafe near them.
Perhaps it is all about attitude and skill level.
I often back off cos I don't want to get hurt BUT more important is that it would suck to hurt someone else.