another newbie

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Daryl D
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

another newbie

Post by Daryl D »

Hello, I'm 62 with two fake knees, replaced four years ago. Been trying to get back to stand up, but knees confuse the pop up making it difficult and frustrating. Being in the North West, never really have seen any kneeboarders, but got hooked up on some video and it looks like big fun. I've been spending a lot of time on my knees on the long board, so why not look at the possibilities.

Most of my surfing is at Crescent City, CA where in the summer the waves are generally small and mushy, winter can be big. I don't usually venture into more than head high. I have had conversation with Romanosky about boards. I'm also stocky, 5'11' 240 lbs. What I hope to accomplish is stable rides without the constant desire to get to my feet an not being able to do it consistently. Paddle boards are of no interest, and I'm not ready to quit. Waves are just too much fun!!

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Jerry
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Jerry »

Well, Daryl.... Just get yourself a kneeboard designed for tiny to head-high waves ( my personal favorite is a Blast Stub Vector, but any of the top kneeboard shapers can build you such a board, with your height, weight, experience in mind ) with a nice, soft deck pad, and you can go have the time of your life :wink: And we'll have Oregon covered from North to South 8)
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Scott »

Good suggestion, Jerry. I've surfed around Crescent Beach a few times, and I think a Stubb Vector would do very well around there unless it gets bug (but Daryl is not crazy about that stuff anyway).
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Daryl D

Post by Daryl D »

I appreciate the suggestions. Looked up Blast on the web and sent an e-mail for info. Who sells the boards in the NW? And would you have size suggestions for a stocky guy at 240 lbs. Thanks again.
Willy Kelly

Post by Willy Kelly »

Daryl I live in Humboldt and I have a bunch of kneeboards and somtimes hit up CC
have stub vector if you would like to give it a go

spots south of CC have been good can't name spots on the web :wink:
pm me with phone and we can hook up
would like to come up your way and hit up that Hippy Port town that takes a south swell

Peace and good waves
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

No kneeboards on the racks up this way. But part of the charm of kneeboarding is you get to work one on one with your kneeboard shaper, Just like you were some kind of surf star. And your shaper knows what's best for your 240 #s I ride a 5' 9" but am a measly 160 ( Albeit 160 of pure, unadulterated, whoop-ass :wink:)
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.