glue for knee pads

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

jdavie
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

glue for knee pads

Post by jdavie »

i was wondering if anyone knew of any good glue to reattched my parks knee pads in australia i use sallys quickgrip but i cannot find it here in LA what do people use here?
joe
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by joe »

sf_firestarter
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by sf_firestarter »

I've had only bad luck with Joe's suggested spray on adhesive. Any good mineral based contact cement should work fine. I always have a can of Weldwood (do not buy the water based version) around for applying pads to all my boards.
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Sf, I think I have the weld wood solvent not water based contact cement, small size bottle with built-in brush, smells like the real deal but label reads "water resistant"...made me wonder. What's the label read on the can ? Thinking of using Aquaseal to both repair a rip and re-glue peeled up edge.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
CONTIKI

Post by CONTIKI »

A good marine grade silicone works for me. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 8HT14PGTgl
*WAVES ARE OF THE ESSENCE*
5 SUMMER STORIES
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Wow, that's looks like some good stuff. Hadn't even thought much about using a silicone cause I always considered it more like a sealant than an adhesive , but that looks like a great product. Have you ever used it to adhere a full pad on a board? thanks Contiki
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
Sandgroper
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Sandgroper »

just done my Parkes pads after I'd pulled them off a few times.

It works very well but is hard to find. I found in a good art supply shop. Used a lot to stick photos to backing board. Waterproof. Also really hard to get it off your fingers.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 7/Super77/
SandGroper
K-man

Post by K-man »

I've used several products.(for me ) weldwood contact cement works the best.And if it's necessary to remove the pads;which I've done several times.It's not an hellacious chore.The main concern is having a clean,salt free dry surface.I'll scuff the surface with some light emory cloth.

cheers!
Sandgroper

Post by Sandgroper »

Sandgroper wrote:just done my Parkes pads after I'd pulled them off a few times.

It works very well but is hard to find. I found in a good art supply shop. Used a lot to stick photos to backing board. Waterproof. Also really hard to get it off your fingers.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 7/Super77/
Forgot to mention that you must clean surface with rag/solvent first to remove any wax or greases salts grime. The bond should be very strong and you will probably have to destroy the pad in order to ever get it off. Cleanup with mineral Turpentine.
SandGroper
maxb

Post by maxb »

Just mix a hot batch of resin brush it on and they will never come off again.
Max
kbing newport
kneehighdesigns

Post by kneehighdesigns »

best results for our nee-pro pads came from 3m 9672LE double sided contact tape , sticks like s#$* to a blanket, and marine grade too. :D good luck!
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

anybody ever try that E-6000 adhesive ( I think it's a Shoe Goo product) Supposed to be very high strength with an extremely wide range of materials it can adhere together.
James Newby

Post by James Newby »

I've been using Ados F2 glue for many years,you need to remove any wax and lightly sand the area first it works really well.
CONTIKI

Post by CONTIKI »

Fossil Man wrote:anybody ever try that E-6000 adhesive ( I think it's a Shoe Goo product) Supposed to be very high strength with an extremely wide range of materials it can adhere together.
I've tried it, but not for my board... :shock:
Smells good!
*WAVES ARE OF THE ESSENCE*
5 SUMMER STORIES
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Got another vote of confidence for the Scotch 90 spray adhesive from Joe Taylor the other day and I think Buddy uses it occasionally as well, I highly trust those recommendations but I had been trying to avoid it due to the hassle of managing the overspray