He even gives mention about a few guys that happen to visit this site
occasionally.
www.surfermag.com/features/on-your-knees/
ezak
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by ezak »

Hey Mark, how's it going?
I know I keep saying this every time you post, but winters on it's way, let's paddle out. I'll give you a call. Take care
surf with soul
wolruss
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by wolruss »

Great article, thanks for posting.

Cheers Wolruss
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Another shitty article written by an uninformed person with nothing but an opinion. Even sounded like he thought Bill Lerner, Bob Gove and others were dead. He really compared us to a murderer? Can I have my minute back from that read? :(
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

He's UCSD Alumni... hence the Black's/LJ focus...
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Huh, I took a positive spin off this, accepting the fact he thinks we're a dying species, don't see the slant you've got on this Mike ???? unless there is something going on behind the scenes that I don't know of.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

No offense intended toward you Wolruss, just spewing my opinion for what it's worth. I just think Rob Gilley should have maybe spoken with the kneeboarder who was paddling toward him, instead he just dredged up the same old tired stereotypical stuff I have read over and over again.
Are we really "quirky, eccentric, non-conformist, nut jobs, geek geniuses?" Would Ted Kaczynski really be a kneeboarder? Maybe he would just be a standup who would send special mail to people who burned him on a wave.
Gilley writes about hating others because they are different. Right now he hates spongers, but if he could get rid of them, who do you think would be next on his list?
Now he isn't the first person to say kneeboarders have disappeared, but he is feeding into that wrong idea. Some people say they never see us, but I see us and I personally know of over 40 right here in the Orange County area.
Now Gilley wants a moment of silence for Bill Lerner, Bob Gove and the others who are still around. Where did they go? When did they stop surfing big Black's?
Once again he is regurgitating old names. Only two of the names still surf as far as I know.
Does a writer always have to mention George Greenough every time there is a kneelo story written?
Do baseball writers mention Babe Ruth every time there is a story about the last game they covered, the last home run hit?
People might think I am being harsh toward Gilley, but this guy is a Surfer Magazine writer, not someone with a private blog who has no idea about journalism.
This story did not add to the knowledge base of kneeboarding, it just barfed up old digested thoughts.
:)
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Hya Mike,

I felt the guy was positive,

I thought he was so ridiclously politically incorrect about boogey riders that it was obvious to me he was being tongue in cheek.

Could be wrong though. He could really hate boogie boarders so much he wants them all in pine boxes for all I know. But that would sverely denude brazillian rainforests - hence the Brazillian

:)

It's a journalist's job to write s*&^ though, if theres no story just make one up :)

Hmm I forgoty you couldn't write s*&^ here. Can you write s*&^ ? Guess not :)
Well I'll be s*&^ s*&^ s*&^ s*&^ s*&^ damned!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Mike I am with you. For him to put us with those crazy holes. makes us crazy holes look like crazy asses. :roll:
Last edited by gumby on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
Scott

Post by Scott »

I just want to know who are kneelos on those two pics of Blacks: the big wave drop in and the sick, sick bottom turn just below it? Neither one looks like Orville Reddenbacker, so I'm just at a loss to place them...
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Scott, I know it's kindof hard to make out but both of those pics are of me 8) :lol:
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Good topic!

Mike, I hear you. Nope. Feelin' it.

Finnie's comment is very much my experience.

Around here, much has changed. Far more folks hitting the water. Sights that are somewhat sickening.

And, there's those exchanges, which happen all the time.

As a relic, not looking hip whilst checking the surf, nothing has changed except those around me. OK, maybe it's the grey hair :lol:

The board comes out, some questions arise, and it's off to feed.

Whatever the label, the game is the same.

Understanding a bit about time and place, we can be disconcerting and somewhat likeable. But, as I age, and cannot defend myself as well... so, about that likeable part... :wink:

Still, throwing all those years into the crowd does call for some restraint! OK, grey hair. Perspective.

Choice is there. People think. I embrace, but don't preach.

My take-away, and it's just MHO, it's a challenge put forth.

(Hard to write this, as SF GIANTS AND OAKLAND!!! :) FARK YEA!)

Anyhow, points off for kneelo paddling out to single surfer - bad etiquette. Points on for quick exchange and share / give room.

Besides that, and TK reference aside, it's a passion that tilts way more towards Maslow's Self-actualization than Self-esteem. We don't care. I wanna bowtie, although I don't know why. I'd rather have a Jetson-style entrance into the water before breaking big rocks into little rocks.

It was, is and will always be. 'Herd' be damned.*

*In no way have I made derogatory references to any class or sub-class of surfing. Further questions can be directed to my Atty, which can be reached at GoPoundSand.com. Ask for Bob :wink:

Dis-jointed commentary? Yes. Oh, well :lol:

We have had a good run of surf. I've enjoyed those around me. Got heaps of tubes. Happy camper!

Goodnight! We still have 5.x ft at 16 or so, and I'm a hopin' for some calmer winds.
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

I liked the article!! a bit of tongue in cheek
sheesh we cant take it so personally
Gilley is just havin a bit of fun
as kneeboarder of 35 years Ive learned to have thick skin :lol:
he's good photographer too... great shots he took of Lerner and Gove
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

You charge Brad!

Rocky Point/Black Rock
joe

Post by joe »

Don't know who that is with the big drop. Chris Beresford maybe?
The unnamed bottom turn is definitely Rex at a nearby reef break.