On Your Knees

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Joe I think Brad claimed them. It would have been nice if the photos were better and not like the ones anyone could take from a cliff with an autofocus camera. :roll:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Just having some fun "claiming" those Mike! Don't know if I've e v e r caught a wave that big down there.

I thought that he was having some fun with the article, but I get tired of some of the same analogies and what not. A contemporary article written with some original creativity would be a refreshing change.
BillL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by BillL »

Even though I'm obviously biased, I thought the piece was a nice piece of nostalgia and of Rob's wry humor. Rob has been in the business quite a while and as a result might have a bit more jaded perspective on the surfing society as a whole than the rest of us. You should read some of his other articles and judge for yourself. The body board intro is just a snare for reaction and sensation. I think it worked by looking at the comments posted here and after the article. I think the article was a nice thought after being pleasantly suprised by one of the tribe. Do you think Pee Wee Herman would have been a kneeboarder?
Years ago, Rob once told me that he thought that kneeboarders were some of the most hardcore group of waveriders out there. He'd be traveling in some remote part of the world and would often come across some kneeboarder surfing out at their discovery all by themselve, no fanfare,no cameras, just stoke.
Hey Joe, I think that's Tom Litton laying out that bottom turn. That's the blue and white board that I traded him for a boardbag years ago and he's wearing his black wave hunting hat. Also, those pictures are at least 25 to 30 years old, manual focus all the way. Mike, I don't think you can't shoot Black's from the beach when it's like that, too much white wash, spray and glare but I'm not a photographer.
Last edited by BillL on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Bloody Hell Brad. Well I still think you charge. :wink:
Composition is a large part of photography, but I am not going to sit here and critique Mr. Gilley Bill. I am only responding to his article, not the photos, or the man himself.
Looks like he's getting torn a new arse though in the comments section of his article. :P
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
Scott

Post by Scott »

There were some good comments to Rob's article, but this was my favorite by some guy:

"I was on a trip in south island new zealand and I was surfing a rather heavy right hand rivermouth break. On the biggest day of my trip, something like 2xOH, everyone was getting a proper beat down and not finding the exits from these bulbous chocolate barrels. Then out of nowhere one of the local farmers, a KNEEBOARDER, leisurely made his way out to the lineup and proceeded to take off deeper than everyone and make some of the longest barrels I have ever seen in person. It was pretty impressive. This guy was taking off under the lip straight into the barrel on every wave he caught and staying as deep as possible. Definitely earned my respect. That being said there are a few kneeboarders that are a bit kooky, but f you think about how many kook surfers there are (85% of us) they might be the most evolved wave riders out there…"
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
DEZDIG
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by DEZDIG »

Ted Kaczynski :shock: , really, not cool. That guy has issues.
ezak

Post by ezak »

Ted Kazinsky! Someone needs to write that guy at Surfer a letter... :shock:
surf with soul
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Looks like there were some under lying issues involved here, Ted Kazinsky ???? sounds like he didn't wash his hands after using the loo before shaking someone's hand. Everyones entitled to their opinion, I just thought that despite all the usual ignorant myths about our chosen sport or pastime that he was warmed by the feeling of surfing with a kneeboarder. And like those, other within our Ohana (did I say that right Mike 'Smoking Rock' Kennedy ? LOL), know one would really know who was alive or who had passed. Didn't mean to stir you up Mike Fernandez, my apologies.
May you all be blessed with good waves today.
Cheers Wolruss
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Speaking of which... SR? Where are you? How are you?

(thread-jack for a good cause... :) )
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Wolrus I consider you a friend, no need to apologize. It was the article that stirred me. :lol: I suppose if Gilley wrote about standups, surfers would never get over the druggie Spicoli image aye? :lol: I stand by my critique. I did catch some crap immediately this morning at the Cove though. Typical thick skin crap among other things. I say if you standup for something you don't need thick skin. Amazing how it seems like more non-kneelo's agreeing with me than kneelo's. Doesn't matter though, I am not trying to change any minds here. :wink:

Rocky Point/Black Rock
KenM

Post by KenM »

Mike Fernandez wrote: I am not trying to change any minds here. :wink:
Then you came to the right place. :lol:
Captain Kneemo fan club

ost

Post by K-man »

Good... :) Resolved.....Once again I have that warm/fuzzy touchy/feely glow.... :lol:

cheers
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

K-man you must be sitting on the oil heater.
albert

Post by albert »

Hello,

It may sound like I have my undies in a knot over this, and I do. I am honestly pissed off about this article. I tried voicing my opinion in the article's comments, but they refused to post them. I am pissed for a number of reasons.

1. Due diligence; the first rule of journalism is often stated as 'Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy'. How can the author be accurate if all he is using is nostalgia-biased personal experience, and a brief encounter with another kneeboarder? Its obvious Rob Gilley did little to no research on the matter, which by default indicates he is portraying himself as an expert in all forms of wave riding, and by extension, kneeboarding. Pretending to know is often a sign you don't know anything, I think this is a clear example. No objectivity-no accuracy.

It may seem to some that this is not journalism, but opinion-based blogging. If thats the case, then fine, but don't post this on a surfing magazine's website. Which leads me to the second issue I have with this.

2. The second rule of journalism is 'be aware and careful of possible mistaken inferences'. Besides the opinion-based blogging comment, I think the terminology used to 'take a moment of silence and remember the half men' infers that they are all dead, potentially sending mixed signals to loved ones of those people mentioned. If its meant to be a joke, fine, but dead people jokes are not funny!

3. The third rule of journalism: 'never be the vehicle of harm; each reporter is professionally responsible for the damage they cause through mistakes and misinterpretations'. I wont even get started on the potential ramifications of this.

4. 'Any publicity is good publicity', this seems to be the stance of many 'glass is half full' people. I disagree wholeheartedly, as in my view we were better off without this sort of dribble. If you are going to write something about kneeboarding, do it right. Contact the experts, talk to them, do your homework, then write objectively (or not, but at least qualify your statements by saying they are a joke or not to be taken seriously if they are not going to be funny).

In my opinion, the only thing this article shows is a grand sh!tstain on the integrity of surf media. It displays ignorance and a lack of regard for the potential repercussions of their actions. This sort of thing represents exactly why surfing as a sport is not taken seriously by people outside of the sport.

Enough ranting...
Thanks
Albert
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Well said Albert.
I e-mailed the editor, Brendon Thomas. I mentioned KSUSA, Legless and challenged him to write an up to date article on kneeboarding last week, but I haven't heard a response. They don't seem to be into kneeboarding since Scott Bass left the photo dept.

Rocky Point/Black Rock