2013 SURF REPORTS...PREDICTIONS

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

jdc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

2013 SURF REPORTS...PREDICTIONS

Post by jdc »

Im generally interested in both reports and predictions which is why this coming monday in victoria ozz is interesting.

Pundits (more than one :?) are poo pooing the day due to bad winds though there will be swell between 2/3 and 5ft depending on locale.

The bureau of meteorology has for 2 days now had the day at 38c and very much offshore. F@#$IN* classic summer dawn patrol conditions.

The two days prior to this sees a coolish change which is where the swell has been generated from.

Im sitting in my kitchen with fan on and curtains down as its 41c out there today so a hot forecast is not a surprise.

Board short and rash vest sessions in quality are rare down here so with luck, bad predictions will turn into a good report...that would be a change :lol:
i like surfing
finger

Post by finger »

I DONTLIKEIT ILOVEIT
jdc

Post by jdc »

Both predictions correct :roll:

cool on the coast due to an onshore that only penetrated 15km or so inland so hot everywhere else. The summer surf hunt goes on.

Must of been strange for those sweltering 25 minutes drive from the beach knowing that all they'd find was a messed up swell and cool onshore.
i like surfing
jdc

Post by jdc »

coupla ok waves along 13th beach last Friday but this Thursday looks the goods.

Predicted top of 35 to 38C coastal and inland though inland will probably get warmer and a swell between 3 and 5ft depending on Victorian locale.

The cyclone off west Ozz is set to track down south of the land and create quite the ground swell fetch in the southern ocean. Could be a few days of steady summer waves.
i like surfing
micko
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by micko »

Bang on JDC, it looks like this one is swinging too far west for us here in WA but once it rounds the Capes it starts getting angry. Thursday looks epic for Vic and maybe Sat/Sunday for our Taswegian brothers. Can you imagine surfing the Hobart points in boardies? A "mythical" rivermouth in that area should be all time too.
All Narelle has done for me is screw up a fishing trip for muddies and Jack's that I've had planned for months, once those rivermouths open all my prey will be out to sea.
On the other hand my spies in Timor tell me there's another brewing as we speak, maybe this one will stay tight and hug the coast delivering us in West Oz that all too rare North swell.
jdc

Post by jdc »

The problem with predictions :!:

missed what appears to have been a classic dawn patrol offshore building new swell surf cos THREE surf sites, ONE all things ocean wind related site and THE bureau of meteorology could not forecast early offshores

its a bit like the boy who cried wolf in reverse (sort of)...so many early mornings with onshores in ones face as the sun rises.

and then the one that got away :roll:
'
on the sunny side, tomorrow is 38c, all day offies and today's new swell settled in :D
i like surfing
finger

Post by finger »

Heading down late arvo where you think might be the go.
gary
jdc

Post by jdc »

Late arfo, just after high tide, swell groomed by hot off shores, maybe a weak sea breeze by then... maybe not.

crowds a factor a some breaks so I guess 13th provides the most options given the tide but text me n the arfo I might have an update
i like surfing
jdc

Post by jdc »

WOW things have slowed at ksusa 420 posts in 2 months since my last look see! seven years ago it was 420 a week!

Probably not a bad thing.

anyway, autumn surf season kicks off on the surf coast in Victoria tomorrow. 4 TO 6 AT 16 SECONDS, MORNING OFFSHORES.

The car is loaded already for the 15km drive to posssos reef. First light at about 6.50am but best to be in the car park at 6.30.

should be good

:arrow:
i like surfing
jdc

Post by jdc »

Did not think it was worth being at the car park 20 mins before first light only to find car park full at 6.45 with a lot of disgruntled locals.

APparently it was full at 6.15 :shock:

So lots a boards in the water but low tide ment more options. your scribe went for the less is more option and scored 4 smokin waves and few smaller ones to get in on.

I suggested to a rye glance from a foot surfer that the reason people pray on their knees is that the gods kneeboard...
in explanation to my apparent good fortune.

Personally, patience is the key :idea: Crowds are becoming an issue. iTs like the Gold Coast without the warm water or the babes on the beach

Unfortunately I must of used all the patience in the water cos on returning home the 8yr old had a melt down about her ballet lesson hair bun and with the mrs quick to get outa the house, I was brought back to my knees in exasperation needing a new god to pray to :x

Still 4 quality waves in the bank

:D
i like surfing
jdc

Post by jdc »

Victorian surfers are in for an autumn treat over the next week or so with the deep southern ocean generating some outstanding fetch winds aimed straight at us.

Included in the mix is a"bombing low" on top of the already corduroy lines. Its been some time since we have had something like this.

It's seems wave periods will be pushing 18seconds with 4 to 8 ft sets depending on local (maybe 10ft on the east coast ... f&#*ing huge down south) and many windows of good winds including some all day offies.

Public holiday Thursday :D as a warm up to the weekend :D :D

enjoy
i like surfing
jdc

Post by jdc »

Just got out from the fourth surf from four days of school holidays...one a day, quite a treat!

The fun continues with the prediction of today's 2 to 3 being the smallest waves over a 10 day period.

Saturday heading into the 10 to 12 ft call, although obviously punters like myself will be heading for the protected corners where 6 ft will do just fine :wink: :D.

My aim is to get 9 surfs in 9 days culminating on my birthday. The prediction works and this would be a definite record in my surfing career...I will of course take more depending on Huey's largesse.

I will also be the fittest for years which is why I'm not pushing for more than one a day and end up with a cold water RSI strain. Ah..the wisdom of older age!
i like surfing
jdc

Post by jdc »

Predictions went south today with a super strong westerly and a small swell pretty much making it a... only if really need to surf day.

Wind is backing off through tomorrow and the next five days see large swells grading downwards and more stable conditions.

A lay day wasn't a bad thing...least the wetties dry :wink:
i like surfing
finger

Post by finger »

HI JOHN Surfed addis today, trying to get out of the wind with some big sets coming through it wasn't to bad at all.