Surf Report 2013

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by K-man »

Yup...here too.Best NW we've had in awhile.Reefs were bunky,but the kiddee pool bar is good as it gets.Sunday was real good.Mon DP-then late aft.till dark.Same for tues.Today..no haps.BUT..appears to be a small S. hemi about fri.Nice to be retired... :)
K-man

Post by K-man »

Decent swell for the north reefs..unfortunatley parks are closed and access is ''vorboten''.(Gov shutdown)OB was fun this am.3-5 and a few HH+.Baitball was clustered in the corner.Further down a handful of surfers on several peaks...Had my choice of waves.Like picking cherries...There's a sweet one... :D

Classic nor cal fall weather...ain't gonna last.....

cheers
Willy Kelly
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Willy Kelly »

Surf in Humboldt was good today 6-8 on the face
soloed the Head today for two hrs
figured I pushed my luck long enough did not want to run in to the Landlord :!:

peace and good waves
Scott

Post by Scott »

I love winter surf… Today was one of the first real swells of the new season (condolences to the Aussies and Kiwis now). 7’, 17 seconds of solid WNW surf hit the Santa Cruz area throughout the day. I went north a bit to my favorite year-round reef/point, a place I surfed for about 30 years. A bit of wind, but just on the outside, and semi-frequent sets. Maybe 15 guys out, not a very intense crowd at all. I surfed both the inside and outside, got some fun ones while I got used to an old board I haven’t ridden much in the last year or two, but has always been a steady performer that EQ cast off to Mark Robertson, and then to me a decade ago. Waves were consistently 4 – 8’. After about 90 minutes those dreaded cramps began to set in, threatening to cut my session a bit short. Instead, I paddled in and did my new strategy that’s really been working for me: I just run up and down the beach for about five minutes, landing heavy on my heels to send little jolts through my calves. It seems to break up the lactic acid or something. Anyway, I can paddle out after that and get in at least another hour or more of surfing cramp-free. When I got back outside, those surfers who were there before had now paddled in, and the after work crew of about 15 guys just wanted to stay on the inside reef, which was pitching nicely and the safe deep-water channel was always just a few strokes away. So I was free to sit out the back solo, with the pick of the biggest sets that came in every 5 – 10 minutes. The tide was starting to drain out causing a bit of warble in the reefy takeoffs, and shifting around to different reef groups, but I’ve been contending with that for decades now, and knew just where to sit, and how to negotiate the drops. Then came the delight of flying across the larger faces, pumping hard down the line in anticipation of the inside reef pitch, and then set up the solid tube section. Mostly about 150 yard rides. It was so much fun, and the hoots were coming as everyone scrambled out of my way. But when I enjoyed the slow paddle back outside, there would never be anyone to venture to those outer reefs with me. So I just repeated the same scenario over and over for at least an hour. What a glorious experience, and I eventually paddled in with all that grom-excitement, the sort that made me want to run the whole ¼ mile back to my truck (okay, I couldn’t do that very well—it was just the grand feeling of it!). I just LOVE winter surf…

Soon the memory of this day will be hazy, at best, so it's nice to write it down to try to hold on for longer.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
K-man

Post by K-man »

Good report scott!Got a pretty good idea where your talking..Sometimes a left on the other side on a south?We've had the same swell up here,decent size in town.Summer crowd is gone..down to locals and a crew that's been coming here for yrs.It's down a bit today,probably hit the north reef tom.The park opened back up since the gov.shutdown.we had to sneak in throught the bushes like a bunch of groms.... :lol: Water's cooled down....5/4/3 hood.Cramps.. :roll: Oh yeah.If I eat another bananna I'll be swinging through the trees.Pulling on my toes stretching out the muscle seems to work fairly well.

cheers
Scott

Post by Scott »

If I eat another bananna I'll be swinging through the trees.
:D :D :D :D :D
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Scott,
Surfed their in the morning on Tuesday and Wed.
Got some good photos after my session.
West swells sure make it line up...
Willy Kelly

Post by Willy Kelly »

Surf in Humboldt today was 3-6 0n the face and glassy 8)
fun peaks up and down the beach
water temp starting to drop
was a little chilly today

peace and good waves
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

stoked your getting some waves willy
we are not seeing any west swell down here in HB of what your probably getting
but we are getting some sse swell :D ...light crowd this morning.. a bit on the lined up side at the lower tide..just have to sift through a bunch and fight the current but every once in awhile a gem that runs down the beach hollow, fun and makable
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Surfed six hours today, just saying... :P Off to work. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
K-man

Post by K-man »

Four straight days 3-5..+sets on the north reefs.One other surfer all week... :lol: Calling for a bit bigger tomorrow,along with strong winds starting sat evening.Sound like rain in the forcast for next week.
Lefty
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Lefty »

Mike Fernandez wrote:Surfed six hours today, just saying... :P Off to work. :wink:
six hours? jeez, well dones! how many chiko rolls did you eat after that?
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Wasn't very hungry :D Had a great time with the new Friar Tuck. Trying to get used to it. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
scott hayward

Post by scott hayward »

surfed 50 min at oceanside fri 3:30 pm. wish i had more time there were a few real fun lefts off the jetty. thinking where is Craig.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Scott, Thursday was the day at the S jetty 3 to 4' little barrels . High tide early made it a little slowish, but between 9:00 and 12:00 was really fun :!:
sTiLl a gRoM