new magazine w/ Bing kneeboarding story!

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

kneelingBROTHA
Legend (Contribution King!)

new magazine w/ Bing kneeboarding story!

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

Hey all! I started a new action sports magazine (featuring a kneeboarding story) with my buddy, Jonas Nakas. We finished our first issue a few weeks ago. You can see it here:
http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/495453
There's an article inside by Vince Ray on page 76 about a rare finless Bing Surfboard. He rode it as a kneeboard in the 70s onward.

In fact, you may remember Vince Ray from the NSSA contest circuit! He was nicknamed the "Stingray". He told me he competed in the early 80s.

On that note--does anyone have access to NSSA heat sheets from the early 80s? Ray was looking for copies of some of his old heat sheets as a keepsake.

Anyhow, enjoy the magazine. I am aware that longboarder Ben Fortun's article still has a typo present--I wrote P.T.'s last name as "Townsend" as opposed to "Townend." I'm hoping to correct that this week, and then the magazine will be complete!

Take care all! I hope the KSUSA contest went off in Huntington Beach! I ended up surfing the burly shorepound at Seal--but actually, I think I would have preferred talking story with some of you cool cats. The shorepound at Seal was borderline un-rideable, even on my bodyboard.

Have a good one!

Oh--and does anyone here have any good kneeboarding stories they would like to tell? For the next issue, I would like to interview a kneeboarder, or some kneeboarders, about the progression of the sport. Max Bollinger, any of the Black's Beach crew, Bob Gove, any of you gnarly wave kneeboarders--interested?

Sincerely,

Marcus Bockman
Barney Mag Co-Founder
www.barneymag.blogspot.com
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
Scott

Post by Scott »

Congrats on the fine mag and the Bing article, Marcus. Quite a garage sale find for $1.50!
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

Hey, thanks Scott! Vince "Stingray" Ray handed me an awesome story. It needed to be published. What's not to like? Kneeboarding, Hawaii, Mexico, South Bay, a rare surfboard, and Bing history. I was very stoked to do the honors!

Again...if anyone has early 80s NSSA heat sheets...Ray would be stoked to get some copies.

ALSO...if a kneeboarder on here--or a friend/acquaintance of anyone that sees this--that likes heavy surf wants to be interviewed...I am very interested in making that happen. I want to do an interview and/or story, possibly portraits, and definitely make sure that there are great photos to illustrate the radical nature of kneeriding.

Let's do this!

Have a great one, you all!
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?