A new Wedge battle about to start!!!

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

i find this completely fuked up on every level but then i'm a bit anti establishment so what a shocker :roll:
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Very true RW.

That being said, I like the idea of BLACKIES being a SUP wave.
Get those guys out of the other lineups.
MWROBERTSON

meeting

Post by MWROBERTSON »

I attended the meeting last night along with Joe & Amanda Taylor and a good 100+ all packed into the Newport Beach Civic center meeting room.

There were news crews, people of all walks of life and age groups.

Head representatives from the city fire department, lifeguards, parks & recreation etc. were all there.

It was well established at the begenning of the meeting that after 20years of current blackball regulations the city officials were open to suggestions and opinions for a possible future course of acton. NO ACTION WOULD BE TAKEN YET. I say possible because they could choose to do nothing once all the data gathering is complete.

There was an open fourm where people could get up in front of the crowd and speak for three minutes giving their take on the topic. Like politics, some people were hardcore and could only see their side. Some wanted a more equitable and balanced approach to the current structure. The thing that was interesting to me was that everyone had a totally valid position wheather they were a board surfer,bodyboarder, bodysurfer, skim boarder, mom with kids, senior citizens that swim etc.

From my perspective the times of blackball and lifeguard discretion at all the beaches in Newport is one topic but the whole WEDGE blackball and no board riders at certain times is another.

The WEDGE issue is a complete hornets nest and where most of the heated energy is. Good luck to the Newport Beach officials because in the end one group or another will be pissed at the decesion.

The city is creating a website to keep people informed on the progression of the topic.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Redacted do to bogus blog post. :lol:
Last edited by Mike Fernandez on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
womble
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by womble »

An outbreak of blackballs should be treated swiftly ... don't make any rash decisions ... apply the cream liberally twice daily ... consult with your doctor if the swell increases.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand.
While imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Albert Einstein ... Yeah Bert.
Amanda Taylor

Post by Amanda Taylor »

The meeting which was held last night, focused only on Blackball regulations, and was apart from the regular Council Meeting. In fact, anything coming out of this working group and getting to the Council wouldn’t be until 2014. Since Blackball impacts more than just the WEDGE, it is a city-wide issue, with possible impacts from WEDGE up to the Newport side of River Jetties.

The City of Newport Beach has formed the Blackball Working group, comprised of several people in local government, the fire department, parks, beaches and recreation, to name a few. Their website is: http://www.newportbeachca.gov/index.aspx?page=2302. They will be updating it as they get information. They have an email address for those who would like to add input who were unable to make the meeting last night. It is: Blackball@newportbeachca.gov.
The head of NBP Lifegurards spoke first, and introduced the panel, and was very clear in stating the meeting was only a forum for the public to voice their concerns, and that the panel was not going to answer any questions, but merely listen to what the public had to say on the Blackball issue.

As Mark stated, people were very passionate about how Blackball impacts them directly, and all forms of watermen/women spoke; swimmers, boogies, bodysurfers, standups, and it was mostly about the WEDGE. I must say, I was thoroughly impressed with several of the young men who attended, dressed in their Sunday finest, and delivered well spoken words about their feelings. There were parents from our neighborhood who got up and spoke.

The whole Blackball ordinance has been around for a long time, with the dates primarily from June 15 to Labor Day weekend. Wedge is May 1 to October 31, with specific hours of 10am-5pm, strictly enforced. The times for other areas of Newport, it can be up to the discretion of the lifeguards to put the blackball up, but it's also 10am.

If you’ve ever noticed, sometimes the guards will use paddles between towers for Blackball. I’ve see it when Point is firing, and they will throw the paddles up on Tower 19 facing north, and 17 facing south. This keeps the left and right open between the areas. There was some mention of “ratio” of surfers in the water vs non-surfers where the lifeguards need to put up Blackball, can’t quite remember what it is.

Mike, the mention of keeping Point off limits except to those who live in certain zip codes was said in tongue-and-cheek, as a joke, and yes, is total BS.

I invite anyone who was unable to attend the Blackball working group meeting, who would like to toss their two cents at the group, to send them an email. Your email will become a matter of record for when the time comes for them to re-evaluate the ordinance as it stands now.

Wedge is going to be in the spotlight, but the ordinance covers all of Newport. Beach.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Thanks Amanda. I knew it was against coastal laws, I just wanted to know if it was being entertained. Another reason not to waste my time with blogs, no responsibility and unreliable.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Rocky Point/Black Rock
Lefty
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Lefty »

^^^
"But the ones who do go there — including a cadre of kneeboarders who are generally viewed as insane — check nowhere else."
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

News just in, things to remain unchanged in Newport and the Wedge.
http://www.surfersvillage.com/content/n ... surf-hours

Rocky Point/Black Rock
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

As it should; leave it be. (re: Wedge)
maxb

Post by maxb »

Wayne, when it comes to Wedge, I feel the same way. I like to ride there on occasion :wink: but the bodysurfers should have the right of way.
Remove all blackball at other breaks.
Max
kbing newport
kbk66

Post by kbk66 »

but it should at least go back to June 15 to Sept.15
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »