A new Wedge battle about to start!!!

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

A new Wedge battle about to start!!!

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
bdwqld
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by bdwqld »

Kneeboards only! :twisted:
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
HOOPER
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by HOOPER »

for the land of the free you sure do have a lot of people telling what you can and can,t do free for all I say survival of the the maddest I say
Joe Taylor

Post by Joe Taylor »

This is not just about the Wedge it's about black ball times for all Newport beaches also.Tomorrow night come and do your part to help stop the new black ball rules. 6.00 pm Newport civic center Amanda and I will be there with the Froghouse crew. If you surf Newport you should attend.
Joe Taylor

Post by Joe Taylor »

Tom Cozad's facebook page has the following article... a must read for Newport surfers.
http://www.newportsurfshots.com/hotshot/hotshot.htm
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Redacted do to bogus blog post. :lol:
Last edited by Mike Fernandez on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
Joe Taylor

Post by Joe Taylor »

Mike come on down tonight. It's not about the few crazy ideas a couple of people have put up, It's about black ball starting on May 1st to October 31st from 10 A.M. to 5 P.M. or later. If it's hot in the I.E. that could be as late as 7 P.M. Think about Sat. Oct. 5th just having to stand on the beach and watch. I think Tom Cozad is a very stand up guy after all he did save Kenny Honningford's life when he drowned at 54 56 a few years back.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Last edited by Mike Fernandez on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
Joe Taylor

Post by Joe Taylor »

Mike ya need to get on Facebook. This info has been up for a long time. Sorry but the KSUSA site does not reach Standup's, Skimboarders and hard bodyboard guys. This is an O.C. thing and yes I am very concerned and have been for some time! We go to city council meetings quite often for the Newport Costa Mesa area So we are off now to Civic Center. Hope you can make it.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Rocky Point/Black Rock
RW

Post by RW »

Relax, no need to get all nasty....

This blackball can be a good thing if you look at it with the right perspective. Here in OB we"ve had the summer blackball in effect since the early 80's. Sure it sucks that prime time mid day to early evening is off limits to all surfing....but the plus side is you can go out and virtually body surf, sponge, or paipo board alone most of the time. On good days this is a really bitchin' surf stoke that can, and often surpasses a good day with a board....'cause ya get it all alone! Can't beat that equation very often.

So I ask you guys...what is the real soul of surfin'? Isn't it about riding waves and havin' fun. $hit howdy that's a no brainer....catchin' waves alone is something all of us dream n slobber about day n night. Think about the absurdity of the argument at hand....board or no board....it's a ludicrous and distorted definition of surfing when one goes back to the true root of surfing.

Many of us here have realized the benefits of the blackballing....it ironically redirects us back to our roots...and the source of why we surf....the waves....not the craft, nor the imposed hours of restriction....but the pure fun of being one with the wave. In today's environment to get such an equation is nearly impossible with all the overcrowding that the surf industry has created.
Perhaps in this light one may see the positive gain instead of a regulated loss.

We did in OB......and now....when the sandbars are empty and grinding due to the blackball......you can get your soul and stoke back all in one session.

:arrow: Think about it...it's only the end of the world if one views it as such.

8)

Aloha
Bobby
shoulder huggin' chickens
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

we have "blackballing" in oz in summer — no glass boards between the flags for swimming. one of my locals is so small that means no glass boards for the whole beach.
it's rather amusing to see the frothing foreign surfers wearing steamers in mid summer vigourously wax their boards, then take a big run up and go charging between the flags at tamarama only to be called out of the water in utter confusion.

when they put the flags up, i grab my mat and have the break to myself. i never understand why people get so upset. there are a few thousand kilometres of unflagged beaches stretching off to the north and south.
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

Lefty

I don't think many do get upset with our system. It's main objective is keeping swimmers (local and tourists) in a small area where assistance is at hand. Tamarama is an exception in terms of sharing with surfboards but my local is a small beach where the flags and buffer zone might occupy a third of the beach. Seems to work ok

Blackball sounds like whole stretches of beach are shut which seems a poor method of allocating public access. Over here most drowning's occur when people swim outside the flags and a lot of rescues in those situations are performed by surfers.
Shelfbreak
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Cool perspective RW and lefty :wink:
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

off topic - should have been posted under surf report
Last edited by Shelfbreak on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shelfbreak