Legend (Contribution King!)

Kneeboarding on Encyclopedia of Surfing Blog

Post by alfredo zavala »

Scott

Post by Scott »

Nice to read, but also so weird, so out of touch. Well, I for one am glad to know there's at least a few aussies (in just one part of Australia, mind you) who somehow didn't slide into oblivion and evidently stuck with kneeboarding in the 20 years when Matt pretty much never saw a kneeboarder. Is it possible he was in California for a good chunk of that time, where kneelos are a presence pretty much everywhere up and down the coast from San Diego to Eureka? And during a period in which the World Kneeboarding Titles were held in Santa Cruz, and any brief search on Google or YouTube would have produced scads of hits.

Oh well...totally rad pic of Chayne, though.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Difference of opinion now after talking to Matt. 8)
Last edited by Sparrow on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

The saddest part of this is he's a surf writer, former editor of Surfer mag and author of the Encyclopedia of Surfing. Just another misinformed blogger now. :?
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
K-man

Post by K-man »

Rather difficult to get a ''perspective''of KBing from someone outside the sport/lifestyle.Maybe quit whining about the various ''bogus''? articles and write something for the masses?There will only be a small percentage of surfers who will understand what it all means.And besides..who shives agit.In other words grow a thicker skin.Ya surf ya don't surf....Don redondo....
cheers
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

You don't have to be a kneeboarder to write great things about it. Tons of great journalism out there without the writers being involved.
How about "The Perfect Storm," I'm pretty sure Sebastian Junger never drowned, or had been in a shipwreck when he wrote one of the greatest shipwreck true stories of all time.
To be a good writer though, you have to do research. A five second Google search will take you to the KSUSA.
That's why major magazines have researchers and fact checkers and newspapers have editors.
Life is too short to waste it reading BS. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
Peter Ware
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Peter Ware »

Kneeboaring and kneeboarders are alive and well. Just because some nobody as usual decides he knows everthing about kneeboarding through the eyes of Google search. History has to be told by the people that was involved not outsiders that just take snipits from other stories. Everything you read and see is not always true. Pictures do not always tell the true story.
Scott what you said about kneebording in Australia is a classic example. Just because it is not written about or pictures does not mean it is not alive and well. Kneeboarding is alive and well all over Australia with passionate kneeboarders promoting the sport. You have the cove at HB. Does that mean to say they are the only Kneeboarders in Californis because that is what we see and read about. I know that is not true because of the hospitality I was shown by yourself and other kneeboarders all over California on my last visit.
KSUSA is a great way to share stories , knowledge, articles, pictures about kneeboarders and kneeboarding. Lets see the stories about kneeboarding by kneeboarders. Lets see the pictures by all from all over the world. Kneeboard shapes – designs.
Kneeboarding has and always will be a great sport.
Enjoying the change of pictures of the week. Keep them coming.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

surfing has long had a tendency to print the legend and not the fact.

the oft-repeated cliques of the kneelo as an oddball charger make me seem more interesting than i am when attending BBQs with stand-up surfers.

but i imagine these cliques might be galling to those that have done real things to swell and progress the art of kneeboarding and are actually interesting.
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

"the oft-repeated cliques of the kneelo as an oddball charger make me seem more interesting than i am when attending BBQs with stand-up surfers. "
That is hilarious and too true! :shock:
K-man

Post by K-man »

:roll: :roll: Here we go again... :lol: more ''fraternal hugging''Yes! it's important we hang tough against the rest of..of of..well,You know what I mean :roll:.Sorry,but Everytime we critique another KB article we fly into some kind of group rage.... :lol: Rage may be a bit strong...minor snivel?

cheers
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Rage? Nah, just amazed at the lazyness of some people. :lol: :wink:
Lefty your post was great! :lol:

Rocky Point/Black Rock
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Mr Warshaw's blog might be taken as proof that blogging allows one to quickly and easily send into cyberspace that which is less than perfect.

It might also be taken as proof that kneeboarders will always be misunderstood.

I don't know which of those statements is more true, but I can tell you that one thing that really puzzles me is the way certain "surf" writers persist in referring to kneeboard surfing primarily in the past tense. The problem seems to be an inability to move beyond Greenough, Lis and in Australia, Crawford. As great as the achievements of those three were, they are now part of surfing history. Kneeboarding has a vibrant present and future, It seems that participation in these is restricted to those who surf on their knees. Fine with me.

Perhaps it's kneeboarding's fate to be misunderstood by the rest of the surfing community. I don't understand why, but I don't worry about it either. Surfing is not what's written about it, nor is it what's packaged and commodified. Surfing is riding waves. Everything else just goes under the heading "stuff that keeps me out of the water".
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

RMcKnee wrote:Mr Warshaw's blog might be taken as proof that blogging allows one to quickly and easily send into cyberspace that which is less than perfect.

It might also be taken as proof that kneeboarders will always be misunderstood.

I don't know which of those statements is more true, but I can tell you that one thing that really puzzles me is the way certain "surf" writers persist in referring to kneeboard surfing primarily in the past tense. The problem seems to be an inability to move beyond Greenough, Lis and in Australia, Crawford. As great as the achievements of those three were, they are now part of surfing history. Kneeboarding has a vibrant present and future, It seems that participation in these is restricted to those who surf on their knees. Fine with me.

Perhaps it's kneeboarding's fate to be misunderstood by the rest of the surfing community. I don't understand why, but I don't worry about it either. Surfing is not what's written about it, nor is it what's packaged and commodified. Surfing is riding waves. Everything else just goes under the heading "stuff that keeps me out of the water".
Hence, all the complaining. :lol:

Rocky Point/Black Rock
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Lefty wrote:surfing has long had a tendency to print the legend and not the fact.
Holy crap, Lefty. You nailed it.

I often find it hard to listen to "Surfing Historians" becasue there is always so much hyperbole and self importance.
In addition, surfing is so hard to articulate, most people sound really corny when they try.

That being said, Matt Warshaw is a pretty good guy. Pretty grounded.
He knows there are Kneeboarders around (he lived at Ocean Beach SF until recently). Creediler used to surf with him all the time..
I truly think he found the Legless videos and said "Wow. This is sick. I gotta share this." And came up with the same old angle.
Is what it is, definitely lazy, but I don't think he meant any harm.
Shelfbreak
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Shelfbreak »

Lefty - very funny observation :D

We owe those oddball chargers a debt - must remember that when I am being belted across some reef after attempting to pay homage to their exploits.
Shelfbreak