Wetsuit thickness

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

jdc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Wetsuit thickness

Post by jdc »

Any Victorian surfers or cooler water surfers getting by over winter wearing a quality 3/2? By quality I mean taped seams etc.

I have surfed warmly through three winters with a 4/3 that was only glued and blind stitched. However it has not really leaked that much as yet. I am wearing an Xcel which I have been impressed with.

A local surf shop has a sale on and a top of the range 3/2 Xcel is now half price, hence my question.

With the quality of suits these days and slightly shorter winter sessions as I age I am thinking it might be a bargain.

Any 3/2 winter experiences welcome!

Cheers
i like surfing
Headwax.
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Headwax. »

hey JDC!! well I'm living in Newie, the new Oneils Physcho 3 is amazing, my wife asks me what the water is like and I have to say I don't know. It's very light and flexable and dries out in a few hours (3/2) but if it ever starts to leak I think it won't be much chop. It's hydrophobic ? and t he neoprene or whatever never seems to get wet. Not much help for you were you are though - sorry.

http://shopau.oneill.com/mens/wetsuits/ ... w-v87.html
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

I guess this forum could be come a wetsuit quality forum. I bought a Billabong Foil 3/2 with the blind stiched glued taped seams and a back zip. I am a soft Queenslander (very happy about that too) and I would not be game to take it south of Sydney.
The suit lets water in around the zip, it is warm enough for Northern waters.
That said my nephew lives and surfs in Norway, he wears Patagonia wool lined wetsuits that he swears black and blue by. He says the only problem with the suit is when he gets out of the water, the water on the suit freezes making it near impossible to get off.
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
jdc

Post by jdc »

How do wax and bdwqld, thanks for your thoughts

Bought the 3/2 Xcel dry lock at 9am and was road testing it by 9.20. Could not resist 50% off. It will also extend the life of the 3/4 suit by taking it out of circulation for 2 seasons.

Wow! Who'dathought a mm makes a difference (apart from condom companies perhaps)

Great fit (LS) really noticed the paddle ease without the loss of warmth of a 3/2. The water here is still cool. This morning was lovely and sunny however so it will not be till about late May/June that I really understand 3/4 v 2/3.

The 3/4 rests now until mid winter to early spring.

Xcel seem to be on the cutting edge around here with many surfers wearing them which is a fair recommendation given rip curl HQ is just down the road.

Now to cut the arms and legs off the oldest steamer...and heh presto! a new spring suit for summer and then talk to a man about a board
i like surfing
tws
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by tws »

Hey jdc

I've been an xcel convert for the last 3 years they are the best suits I've had by far I would put oniel second for comfort but there durability is shithouse
I have a. 3 /2 and a 4/3 dry lock both 3 years old and look almost bloody new they are bloody insane

I wear my 3/2 oct-nob and then April to June as long as I can
Then 4-3 July to sept

Clean em with fresh water and dry them in the shade they will last

Buy on eBay out of the uk and you will save you self a fortune ....
jdc

Post by jdc »

Hi tws

If ever your on this side of the bay and or hear of them, Tonic surf shop in Barwon Heads has three or so sales a year where they clear out suppliers stuff. I got the 3/2 drylock at $225. A female friend got a $500 girl suit for $180. Just a heads up to victorian kneelos!! Though the uk eBay tip is worth looking into.

The 4/3 Xcel is not a dry lock or sealed seams but after almost three winters it is still not leaking and looks in good shape. And yes I do try to rinse and shade dry! It's worth the care/effort

Last surf tomorrow for a week by the look of the reports

Cheers :arrow:
i like surfing