Kneelos in Windisch SF surf photo exhibition

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

tubesnake
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Kneelos in Windisch SF surf photo exhibition

Post by tubesnake »

Ok, I made it to this exhibition in San Francisco (Madrone Art Bar) of generally unknown surf photography from late 60s-early 70s SF area surf by a guy named Fred Windisch the day before it closed, which was yesterday, so sorry, no heads up for any of you but it was in the papers. Anyway, along with about 30-40 photos from the period was video also taken by Fred, featuring surfers at places from Fort Point to Pacifica. In particular, there was a lot of footage from a spot located between Fort Point and Ocean Beach. In this footage were a number of rides by a couple of kneeboarders there. Anybody make it to this exhibition? Have any idea who these pioneers were?
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

post Fred was a classic

Post by K-man »

Fred was a classic low key,underground guy.Anyways..Was KBer around here in that era,and he surfed ''those''spots.He migrated up from socal and hung in marin for a short while.Nelson...rode a small twinnie and ripped.Then migrated up to PA then disappeared across the tropical pacific.Fred passed a few yrs back so there's no way to reference the info.
tubesnake

Post by tubesnake »

Wow, didn't know Fred was a KBer, too. Thanks for the info, K-man. And thanks to the Windisch family for making those photos available.
K-man

Post by K-man »

Could have chosen my words more carefully..Fred was a footie..Nelson was the KBer.And you want to talk about grumpy KBers?...whoooo... :lol:
Hoppo
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Hoppo »

Nelson lived in Cambria in the 70's. Moved up north (don't talk about that), had a little trouble and moved to Bali. I hear he now spends half the year in NorCal and returns to Bali. And he rode Bonzers, shaped by the Campbell brothers. He was one of the first people I met here in 1973. :shock:
Last edited by Hoppo on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tubesnake

Post by tubesnake »

Ok, got it, K-man! Hoppo, that's an interesting tidbit - coincidently, my very first kneeboard when I switched over from footboarding was a Bonzer. I would have ordered it then, probably '74. I've never seen another Bonzer kneeboard.
K-man

Post by K-man »

Good info hoppo.Fills in the blanks.Know most of the crew north of here..I hear nada.Underground? :lol: