flippers

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

nmac
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

flippers

Post by nmac »

Looking for anyone who uses(or has used) the Viper Vectors or the DaFin flippers. I want/need a new pair. And, am looking at either one of those. Currently using cut down(1"-2") Kicks and Vipers V5. Would like something that is light,but has good thrust. Thanks.
analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

I use Hot Buttered Octoblades seriously comfortable, good thrust, floaters and relatively cheap. Da Fins have no thrust, i bought a pair and had to take them back for a refund. Completely hopeless. But again there are heaps of opinions on this, look in the forums and you will find shed loads of threads on this topic.
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
nmac

flippers

Post by nmac »

Thanks for the feedback AB. I did check past forums. But, didn't see any mention of either the Viper Vectors or DaFins. I'll look into the Octoblades.
rodndtube
Local (More than 25 post)

Re: flippers

Post by rodndtube »

nmac wrote:Looking for anyone who uses(or has used) the Viper Vectors or the DaFin flippers. I want/need a new pair. And, am looking at either one of those. Currently using cut down(1"-2") Kicks and Vipers V5. Would like something that is light,but has good thrust. Thanks.
I am a long time Vipers V5 (Orange Dot and Yellow Dot) user for warm to cool water. For cold water I found myself having to default to Hydro Techs because the Vipers were too narrow and seriously cramped my feet when adding 4+mm on.

During the past year I have been increasingly using DaFins. The few times I put on the V5 Yellow Dots in Costa Rica this past June they felt weaker relative to the DaFins which I ended up using almost exclusively. The foot pocket is roomy even when wearing 2mm of fin socks. I used about 4mm of fin socks in N. Oregon last month and they fit. I'd probably go up a size for any serious cold water surf but am confident they would work for me.

My first touches of Viper Vektors were not good. Struggled in an attempt to put a pair on -- never did. Other people have had luck slipping them on. They also seemed more "floppy" than regular Vipers. I reserve judgement.

On another topic, a friend in the Outer Banks is asking about what a good kneeboard design would be for that area. Any shapers on the OBX or DelMarVa that you can refer him?
Fossil Man
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Fossil Man »

Rod, I concur with how powerful Da Fins are ( especially considering how light they feel). I did have some problems with them when I was paddling and kicking on takeoff, that the fins felt they were just kind of splashing on the surface due to their width and lightness, wondering if you had ever noticed that ?

Robert
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Rod,
Off subject a little, but
send your friend to Scott Busby at Natural Art in Buxton. He has shaped a decent number of kneeboards now (mostly for his ageing friends) and took some dimms from our boards when Landlocked and I were down in April.
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
jimithesaint

Post by jimithesaint »

Rod - I agree with Kneebumps. Scott Busbey is probably the best option in this area. He has been makeing KBs for Jeff Odin who is a damn good kneerider for years. I have a quad fish shaped by Scott if your friend would like to have a look and give it a try. Let me know
Jimi
capesurf

Post by capesurf »

Rod,
I live in Buxton and Scott makes my kneeboards. And hey to the rest of y'all. I haven't been on here for a while

Scott

Post by Scott »

Nice classic fish shape, and dimensions. The fin cluster appears quite tight to me, with the trailing fins up very close to the front fins. That may work well on softer days, though, on the East Coast?
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Fin cluster has a sort of a Parkes feel to it
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

hey Bruce, missed ya in April, see ya in Sept I hope
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George