General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

hankj
Local (More than 25 post)

do you have a frontside and backside?

Post by hankj »

Sorry if this has come up in the past.

I do, am regular foot stand up surfing and feel the same frontside/backside differences knee riding, not to the same intensity as stand up, but way more than one might intuit given my leading knee is only 1.5 inches farther forward than the "back" knee.

I'm really curious if anyone experiences kneeboarding as ambidextrous, with little or no difference going right or left. I think that would be great, but for me lefts feel a lot like backside (grab rail in the barrel more, off the tops swingier and more under the lip and maybe steeper, better on bowling waves) and rights like frontside (more natural drive down the line and in the tube, bashier of the tops, better on point-like waves).

1) do you feel frontside and backside when you knee surf? How much?
3) do you have a symetrical stance or do you have one knee forward? How much?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

i'm goofy-footed and prefer lefts. however, it's only a slight preference. i also suspect my right bottom turns might be better and stronger. perhaps because i'm driving through with my dominant left shoulder?
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
Angie

Post by Angie »

When I did stand up surfing I was natural footed, when I was a bodyboarder I dropkneed goofy. Kneeboarding for me feels natural riding rights, but "backhand" going left, my stance is symmetrical, but maybe because I hardly ever right left is why its feels "backhand".
hankj

Post by hankj »

Lefty wrote: perhaps because i'm driving through with my dominant left shoulder?
Lefty thanks for this, probably solves the mystery. A lot of the difference might be predicated by how power comes through the twisting of the upper body, like how one can punch harder with the dominant hand. Good thinking!
tahiti_nui
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tahiti_nui »

Check any of the videos of Eric P, a most dominate kneelo with a decidedly deadly frontside/backside stance.
Bob
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Bob »

I face the wave going right.
Backside or switch stance going left depending on type of wave.
About an inch to two inches for the knee differences.

I find frontside better for point breaks, bottom turns and tube riding.
It is hard to tube ride backside for me.
Also, back side is great for off the tops and big round houses.
C J Gagner

Post by C J Gagner »

Indentations on your pad are a sign.
Though the course may change sometimes rivers always reach the sea!!!!
hankj

Post by hankj »

Bob wrote:I face the wave going right.
Backside or switch stance going left depending on type of wave.
About an inch to two inches for the knee differences.
Bob! Switch stance! Brilliant. I'm going to move my front knee back two inches sometimes and then gloriously claim that I'm pulling all kinds of maneuvers switch. And since they're switch it technically makes them new tricks, and according to "the rules" I'll have the naming rights. Drop in switch? That's Hanking In. Switch off the top? You just Hanked the Lip. Straightening out into the white wash? That one's just Switch Calling It A Day :)
norm

Post by norm »

I always wondered if other kneelos had a frontside or backside. I keep my knees in the same position going either right or left. I am a goofy foot if I am standing. The biggest difference for me is the perspective I have on the wave. I noticed I can do crisper top turns in the pocket better on lefts. I turn "no hands on rails" going left, but I grab my rail when bottom turning on a right.
Interesting that I have a different style depending on the direction I am going.
norm
Bob

Post by Bob »

It is all about the hips. Having one knee about an inch in front of the other allows the hips to turn way more.

If the hips can turn then the shoulders can turn. Facing the wave and leaning into the wave when tube riding seems to work better for me, especially in small surf.

Paul and Jim from Santa Cruz are really side ways on rights.
Their knee dents must be 4-8 inches apart.
Both tube ride really well.
Andy

Post by Andy »

I go left 99.9% of the time. Over the years that has developed into my forehand, to the extent that on the rare occasion I surf a right it feels awkward and I cant do %$# :oops: .
My knees are equally positioned, but going left I find I naturally lead with my right shoulder (facing the wave), especially winding up for a juicy bottom turn, or tucking in under the lip, to the extent that Ive found myself putting my right hand on the deck in front of my left knee.
On rights i still tend to lead with the right shoulder, so almost face away from the wave. I guess thats many years of muscle memory which I just have to live with. fortunately the only right I ever surf is a short hollow reef break, so turns are few and far between anyway.
Oh, and when I longboard (which is rarely), Im a goofyfoot
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

yes I'm crooked.
for me riding lefts is like throwing a ball like a girl does - the ball goes in the general direction...

It's a PITA.
Just ordered a board with lots of ' dynamic' asymmetry to try and account for it.
El Kneelo

Re: do you have a frontside and backside?

Post by El Kneelo »

You know...
I was thinking about this the other day! I love lefts! Maybe it's because I skateboard "Goofy foot"? or because I cut my teeth at the wedge (left only) or maybe it's because in So. Cal.- No MX we get mainly south swells that break left more.. Hmmm I guess that the question is getting into the "chicken before the egg" realm?

Ian
burger

Post by burger »

i am a goofy foot stand up and ride the tube much better going right, and harder top turns and cutbacks on rights....i really have to think and tuck my outside shoulder to get in the barrel on rights...on lefts its just natural!! great subject ! nice to know its just not me...
fincut

Post by fincut »

Yes.

I'm regular foot surfing but I think my front side and backside have a bit different approach probably drawn from surfing and the distinct difference front vs backside. I'd rather go right if I had a choice.

I have a theory that side difference partially originates from which ever dominant side your eyes are. Some have a dominate left, some a dominate right. Gun and trapShooters are dialed into this. To find your dominate, extend your arms out, bring your hands together and make a tight triangle with your thumbs overlapping for the base and your index fingers making the teepee of the triangle. Look across a room at someone and ask what eye they see or look at a mirror across a room.