oy vey that cutback into sliding 360 thing ...

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

hankj
Local (More than 25 post)

oy vey that cutback into sliding 360 thing ...

Post by hankj »

Not that I haven't dropped a few of these myself in my day, but even when good kneeriders do them I cringe. You know what I mean? The start a cutback and then keep sliding around instead of coming roundhouse off the whitewash? It just looks so lame and gimmicky (unless one is airborne when it happens, then it looks rad, or maybe in a really critical section). See it a lot in contest videos - who decided that a slidey twin-finny dead in stand up surfing since the Danny Kwok era twirly thing ought to be rewarded? I for one would stand behind a constitutional amendment (we must have a kneelo constitution somewhere) banning this maneuver after the age of puberty.
OceanTrends17

Post by OceanTrends17 »

I've never done one on purpose- accidentally in the twin fin era.

There were a lot of conversations on the beach at the KSUSA Titles that I overheard in reference to the "spinner" and consensus was they don't actually get scored.

I would sign that petition, Hank.
Last edited by OceanTrends17 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hankj

Post by hankj »

thanks for the validation Kenneth. As usual posting online in retrospect I kinda feel like a jerk and was mostly kinda kidding. Who am I to tell people not to have fun the way they choose? And the one Beresford almost pulls on the video on the front page at 4:10 is pretty rad since it's part of a detached off the lip.

But still a little cringe happens most of the time I see that move out on the flats - probably the same way others feel when the see my stood-up style :)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

if you're surfing one foot windswell that makes no demands on your skills and fails to give you much of a thrill, then you have to do something to keep yourself awake and amused.
it's either do a few spins, get a sheila to sit on your shoulders or ride the board on your head.
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
C.P.Odom
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by C.P.Odom »

I have stated on the beach that "Spinners" are not big points scorers, bare in mind they score much higher than doing nothing in the weak part of a wave.
I think the original question may be about tail slide cutbacks.
Never leave well enough alone.
hankj

Post by hankj »

CP i don't think I know the difference between those two thing. It's really a continuum though - spinner on the flat at one end, then a steeper cutback slid out all the way around, then like the off the top in the video mentioned above, and then to the reverse 360 air (don't know what that's actually called) Ratboy and those other Santa Cruz kids pioneered in the 90's. If the first in the list gets you eventually to the second and the third more power to you.

When I tried a fins forward Flashpoint these types of slides were definitely easier than on my Romanosky-type boards. I'm not good at spinning anyway. Personally though when I snap and my fins break loose and I'm suddenly backwards on the wave I love how it feel to not continue the 360 but pivot back the natural way and wait for the fins to reengage and drive forward again. The not so many times this has been combined with the lip coming over and then making it out of the barrel have caused some of my most pure feelings of connection with a wave.

Kolohe Andino, incidentally, is masterful at either spinning or pulling long slides back the "natural" way. Lots of younger guys actually - must be nice to always have both options.

http://www.surfingmagazine.com/video/ko ... -neff-222/
waka

Post by waka »

360 spinners are a functional in the right circumstances , but are not scored in contests, but it is like saying to a longboard rider in a contest, that we are not going to score a nose ride / hang ten ? , as thats not functional , you should be going up and down and 'ripping'...the need to look stylish has been overtaken by the need to be seen ripping , but each to their own. I was please to see Jack and a few other throw them in the final ( well surfed by all finalist) you can gain alot speed when coming out of the rotation, so to me , they are very functional, and my surfing has always included 360's as they are fun to do....watch this video from the other week at wrecky

http://vimeo.com/109202447
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
OceanTrends17

Post by OceanTrends17 »

I have to say, however, not being a fan of the 360, the cutback to 360 sucking back into the foam ball Jack laid down in the finals... well, it was pretty cool looking.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

The tail slide cutback I mentioned is not a 360, my mistake. I had not read the whole question. I once discussed 360's with Michael Novakov who must be the world expert on all things going round and round. He said a good spinner done in the pocket of the wave is an invaluable contest tool. He will pull them off one after another in the later part of a wave when there is little else to do, all good just adding a point for every one.
Never leave well enough alone.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I can't tell you how many times I've done the 360 as a stall maneuver and found myself perfectly slotted. It's a functional maneuver when done correctly at the right moment.
"Dunes Local"
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Most of the 360's I saw were quite functional.
It might be hard to tell from pics and vid, but the shoulders were very soft and kind of fat. I could barely stay on a few waves. Guys who could, would use a 360 as a way to pad a score after a little tube or top turn. Not gonna give you a score by themselves, ( unless it was of the fins out variety like Jack went for) but definitely a way to get an extra point or two on the end of a wave.

I tried one after the horn and barely got my board around.

:lol:
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

but they look silly ;)

you'd get laughed at if you did them here
but who are we to care, eh?
let them laugh, hahaha

as long as the spinner puller offer is having fun
and doesnt care about getting negative points
you know, from a reverse aura manoeuvre
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I think Jack would have won even without the spinners. On another note, I was voted "most sexiest man on the beach" again this year and I can't even do spinners. We need some women kneeboard judges. :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

hehe heh :)
waka

Post by waka »