Surfing dirty water.

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Surfing dirty water.

Post by Mike Fernandez »

People often laugh when I stay out of the water for 72 hours/three days after a good rain here even though "the water looks clean," but there is a reason the gov. takes water samples and warns us. It's the stuff you can't see that will kill you.
http://www.theinertia.com/surf/southern ... z3OKdNCna0
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

I do the same thing too Mike. I heard this story about 3 days ago on another station. Very unfortunate that this happened to Mr. Ault. There's still CRAP that gets dumped into the streets and rivers in this town that makes its way straight to the ocean! :(
K-man

shite

Post by K-man »

Unfortunate.. :cry: Any one remember this?I do...First time I paddlled out I asked a local what that was.....That's the shite pipe :lol: :roll:

http://seymourcenter.ucsc.edu/OOB/063_S ... Sewers.pdf
RW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by RW »

This is some serious $hit. I ask that no further postings on this continue. The CCD and the Feds are are all over this. All public gossip on this needs to be curtailed immediately. I am not at liberty to disclose anything further. I only ask that it ends with this notification. When it all gets sorted out I will fill in the blanks. Please understand that public outcry is the last thing needed here.....as it will interfere with tracing the source. For all of us who use the oceans....this lone catastrophe can be the benchmark towards serious governmental changes in our costal water protection worldwide. So do consider the bigger picture in allowing this to play out without misinformed concern; We, here in PT Loma, do not want, nor need public outcry.....this death has gone to the highest levels and the response is genuine from all involved governmental agencies. Silence and observation is the most productive course of action at this point in time. As I stated at the start.....this is some heavy $hit and all parties concerned here are in like accord and staying under the radar until it gets resolved. NO FURTHER PUBLIC OUT CRY.....PLEASE.....it will unravel all that has transpired...and all that is in progress. We are in mourning for Barry and a list of others who suffered the same exposure, it's not an isolated case; you have been misinformed Mike...and parroting such is my point exactly. Thanks for the concerns from all....just let us play this out on our own terms....it's our fight....and we're notorious for keeping things under control here in the Underground. Not meaning to offend anyone....just asking that ya stay out of it at this time is all. In closing, Barry was the kinda guy who gave no quarter in the water but was always a kind and genuine individual in all he did. It's a sad time for all......

8)

Mahalo,
Bobby
shoulder huggin' chickens
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Yo RW, pull your head out bud! This came from a legitimate news source and anyone trying to "keep it under the radar" is part of the problem. I posted it as a teaching point. It is a tragedy that anyone dies from pollution, but good can come out of any tragedy if people really care.
Stay in your little world down there and don't ever think you can even come close to telling me what to do.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Carl.E
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Carl.E »

"Silence and observation is the most productive course of action" Yeah right... .
kid borracho
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

My anthem: "I'd surf a toilet bowl if it were break'n!"

With all due respect, of course :cry:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

WayneK wrote:My anthem: "I'd surf a toilet bowl if it were break'n!"

With all due respect, of course :cry:
you would have loved sydney in the 70s and 80s! sewage outfalls all along the beaches! one break, a kneelo favourite at maroubra, is still called the dunnybowl.

it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
El Kneelo

Re: Surfing dirty water.

Post by El Kneelo »

BITD (Back in the day),
I would padlle out at RJ's (Santa ana river jetty) as soon as it stopped raining, until I sarted getting sinus infections and ear aches? All of the puddles and little ponds along the river would flush out with rain!
Now I'm in Mexico. The tankers that transfer oil sometime flush out the sea water that they use for stability when traveling empty, too close to shore and will get a fine layer of oil on the water! Much better than the tar we'd get in HB in the 80's, but still not very pleasant!
It's a shame that people don't care about the ocean (or other people). But, that's what is wrong with this world: It's full of people!
RW

Re: Surfing dirty water.

Post by RW »

Right on Eddie Boy O!.....but dbbl your BITD...we could surf during and after the rain...such a bitchin' sensual anomaly....but post '78 it all went to shyte. Over development of the coastal infrastructure and the exploding population insurgence put an end to such euphoric adventures all along our coastal habitats....and still the Inland Empire continues to expand Eastward while the coast blows up in mass density...and ya know all that urban krapp flows west to the coast.There will never be a return to what once was....really is heartbreaking to know this is happening around most surf destinations on the planet...some in slow motion...others at a rate twice that of our own ecological destruction. We've all seen how the "entrepreneurial carpetbaggers" arrive and quickly turn an escape venue into a Resort destination in nothing flat....and the surf media industry pimps it to no end for their own piece of the pie. Fu©k them all, along with the journalistic pimping out of what's left of the true spirit of surfing. Ya really gotta ask....how much of the tabloid BS really constitutes the soul of surfing"....as a lifestyle....as it was...and how it applies to the individual...it's not a job, or a profession, or even as a simple daydream....it's been so distorted that even the older cats have fallen under the medias spell of what real surfing is in the life of the average every day nondescript surfer out there. Now some insecure small minded folk out there, with a lot of Purina Pedigree papers, believe that I'm the worst thing that ever happened to kneeboarding, but then most of us know it's been just inexperience and youthful ignorance, ranting into the night, at fear of the big bad bogey man raining down on a pedestal of cheap card tricks. There's been 3 weeks now of good Southern energy...we've had deluge rains twice now with the river plume hugging the coast for most of it, and, viscous counter productive winds tearing it all apart....point being, none of this was happening 35-40 years ago. So many days of big strong surf, with black stormy skies, pouring rain, no wind or howling off shores...alone...or with a handful of guys. Many things have contributed to this: wind patterns have change due to the towering concrete structures along the coast and open valleys, obstructing and rerouting the once dominant wind flow. This urbanization has also changed the storm tracks all along the coast and thus we excruciatingly suffer these new storm directions that no longer favor our entire SOCAL seaboard....ie...good swell, bad prevailing winds...good swell, to North for our windows, favorable winds. We've ourselves to blame for this....and sadly...we can't stop it at this stage....fines and penalties are mere chump change to the corporations who control our local politics... We can only play safely at our own risk here at home...but internationally....we can...as a cohesive group...help influence those areas yet to suffer the catastrophe of surf expansion. My bet is that many of you out there in your own Countries, have and do suffer, much the same things. Does it need be a world wide epidemic? Do reflect and digest before responding....and keep all the climate change krap outta this as that too is a manipulation tool to confuse the feebleminded. It has nothing to do with coastal pollution.....only political refuse. RE Barry Ault; there is an underground word of conformation on the source of the contagion that was in the water...and it's still under Government, and private, secrecy. But the cracks are starting to leak....Aloha Bobby
shoulder huggin' chickens