Info for a newb cripple?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Kiwiintexas
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Info for a newb cripple?

Post by Kiwiintexas »

So I guess I should start by introducing myself, everyone calls me Kiwi (The Bird from NZ not the fruit) and I have been lurking for a few weeks.

I used to be a Stand Up surfer, used to because I wrecked my dirtbike back in 2011 and broke my neck at the c3-4 vertebrae. After some spine was removed and Ti put in its place my Wife and I were given the news that I would be lucky to leave a wheelchair for the rest of my life. Fast forward Three and a half years and I have learned how to walk, run (kind of), mountain bike and a whole bunch of things that I keep adding too (I really don't like being to I can't do something- stuborn).

Anyway, though some very scientific test, an outline of a board on the floor, I have discovered that I don't have the ability to 'pop' to stand on a board, so I figured the next best solution may be on a Kneelo. I swim lengths in the pool at my gym when it's not too cold and need flippers to keep my legs on the surface and I plan on wearing a wetsuit to help with floatation.

I live in San Antonio, so the Gulf is an option in a very small way, but I really have a goal of being able to catch some waves with my mates when I visit home next Christmas. So what I am keeping an eye out for, a cheap board as there is going to need to have a few modifications to it.
Also any suggestions for someone going from standing up for 25 years to kneeling? Fins? Anyone on the gulf coast etc?

Cheers in Advance.
Kiwi
A cripple trying to be a cripple

(210) 397-2550 ext. 3214
Kurt

Boggie Boards

Post by Kurt »

I just want to commend you of your I will over come attitude and ability to do so!!....

Just thought...a good Boggie board always fun ti have I still go out with mine from time to time on this beach breach in the summer time when the south swell is in town....But needless to say thats where I got started kneeboarding...super safe on a foamy ...and it all transfers over...once you get a few solid pop ups on a boogie board it might help with hand and knee placement on a simple level ...and comfort level on a kneeboard might come easier....as you move out farther into heavier waters...

Like I said just a thought....you got the go for it will and you will find happiness in whatever you put your energy into ....

Surf more Stress less

Kurt
day
Local (More than 25 post)

Kiwi flying again

Post by day »

Kiwi,
Thanks for sharing your story.
My first suggestion is to give up the cripple label. Think of yourself as retrofitted or some other less demeaning description.
To find the best water craft and best manner of propulsion, I would suggest you take inventory of where your power lies. (What nerves got damaged and how bad/ what nerves and muscles still working and which are strongest.) More arm power (paddling) or leg power (kicking). The great thing about kneeboarding is either can work. Check out your knee, hip, back, neck, shoulder flexibility and ROM. Do you have any contractures (stiff joints) or spasticity (uncontrolled muscle contractions)? A good physical therapist can help evaluate the above. Based on the information you can look at the best water craft and how to propel it to get you enjoying the surf again.
If it comes down to kneeboarding is your vehicle, this site and the people that contribute to it, are the greatest. You will find a wealth of information, good advice and support here.
So take inventory and get back to this site for more suggestions.
Remember the highest victor is not always who is the best but who gave his best with what he had. Charge with what you have!
Aloha
Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Scott »

Couldn't be said better, Day!
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Fossil Man
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Fossil Man »

Aloha Kiwi, I'm a kneeboarder from California/Hawaii out here for right now (Lord willing it'll be a short time, I miss the pacific ) in San Antonio, near the Ratama racetrack in the Selma area. I'll give you a call and maybe we can get together, talk story, and figure out what kind of kneeboard with what modifications will be workable for you.

Robert ( 808 ) 250-1225
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
Kiwiintexas

Post by Kiwiintexas »

Day- I apologize, my very odd sense of humor sometimes does not translate very well in text. I in no way label myself a cripple, I got past labels after the first week in rehab :). I live a stoked life because I was 1/16th of an inch from dying according to the Docs and now I get to blow minds!
Spasticity etc is controlled by meds, I have 40% of sensation on my right side and 60% on my left. Thank you for all the advice, it's obvious I have come to the right place. Most of the things you suggested are what have led me to the kneels world. I rode a lid when I was a kid, actually drop knee, but I need to be able to paddle more with my arms, my legs work but aren't that strong, and the width of a booger has always been too wide for my skinny ass frame to paddle with my arms.
I am really looking forward to finding out more though as I have been trying to figure this out whilst being in a rehab bed, and Fossil Man I will be in touch very shortly.

Kiora
Kiwi
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'm looking forward to reading what advice 'The Tom's' (W. and B.) have to give to you. I defer to the men who have been there.
day

Kiwi

Post by day »

Kiwi,
Check your PM for some suggestions on dry land assessment you can try for knee boarding.
Cheering you on.
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

hello kiwi
Glad to read that your doing better and your attitude is so positive! Like you I am very stubborn and I think that's why im back in the water surfing!! I also had a neck injury about three years ago surfing the cove. I have a plate and some screws in C3 C4, some hip bone put into the spine. I also deal with tingling down my arms that I was on meds for but I stopped taking them after a year because the drugs just seemed to cover up the annoying sensations of tingling didn't help it, but that's just my situation I know everyones injuries are different. After 6 months of rehab I was back out in the water paddling..and it was just that paddling... no riding waves! and it was the most difficult part of the whole process.. just getting used to moving your body again in the water, on a board, trying to figure out how far you can manipulate your neck and spine again..afraid of re injuring it.
It is and was a day to day process until you get stronger and feel what your body is capable of in the ocean at this moment in time with your injury. I don't have to tell you the difficult road it was to recovery! Im stoked to hear that your riding a bike, running and swimming ! long story short, it took easily a year for me to get to catching waves again and feeling semi confident out in the waves but you gain confidence and strength physically and mentally with every wave caught! You don't seem like the kind of guy that would let a bad day ruin your day so keep doing what your doing and youll be catching waves and ripping in no time no matter what kind of board you choose to ride (hopefully a kneelo!)Keep on trucking!
And I'm glad you and Robert fossil man will get together for a surf! Roberts a great guy.
Last edited by mutiny on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Kiwi, there is actually a kneelo community in Texas and there are waves about 2.5 hours south of you in the Port Aransas/Corpus Christi area and better waves in South Padre Island a little further south. We drop the wetsuits in a little over a month in South Texas and the warm Gulf water should help with your transition. I recommend getting a good pair of surf flippers and start training with these in the pool with a kickboard. Gulf waves are actually good training waves as they require a lot of effort to catch and with the short period waves they require a lot of duck diving and paddling.

Contact me by PM and I can meet up with you in early May in SPI and let you ride one of my boards.
Surf Hard Live Slow