Newbie Question

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Frost
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Newbie Question

Post by Frost »

i apologize in advance for this post being long but i am interested in learning to knee surf and i have several questions in regard to knee surfing.
1. Can any surfboard be knee surfed- i have read the best dimensions for the best knee boards,however i guess what i am asking is can you take any type of surfboard and ride it knee style.
2. i have noticed the pads on the boards in the middle, what is expected as far as rash problems when paddling out. and are the pads a "must have"?
3.are there any east coast shapers making kneeboards. i see it is popular in Australia and the west coast but was wondering if anyone knew of any east coast board producers. thanks in advance for reading and responding if you do
day
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by day »

Hey Frost,
Since no one has posted a reply to your question, I will take a stab at it. But there are MANY that are way more qualified than I am to answer your questions.
1. Can any surf board be knee surfed? The broad answer is yes you can catch a wave and get up on your knees on just about any thing from a boogie board to a 12 foot tanker, BUT to ride like the guys you see on the videos posted, it is way better to use a board designed for knee boarding.
2. Regarding pads on the deck. Since most wear a rash guard or wetsuit, it should not be a problem. i guess it is a potential problem if you paddled bare chested. Pads are not a "must have" but it sure makes it a lot more comfortable and gives a lot more traction. So if you want to optimize your kneeboarding, then HIGHLY recommended.
3. Don't know of any shapers on the east coast that specialize in kneeboards, but then again, i don't live on the East Coast. Where I live there are no shapers that specialize in knee boards either, so I use the local shapers. Cheaper for me and I help the local surf economy. Ha. I give them the dimensions and specifications that I want in a board. (A lot of the information I got from this site. )
Getting a board from one of the legends of knee board shapers is probably the surest way to go but you will pay top dollar for their experience and talent plus the shipping. If you just starting out, I would suggest picking up a used board from this site. Put out a post of what you looking for and where you located. Maybe someone close by has an oldie for sale or thinning out their quiver. Of course the size and shape you get, should be in line with your experience, fitness and the type of waves you will surf. (If you just starting out, and cruising around the block to get the feel of how to drive, don't get the Ferrari. Ha.)
Good luck and have fun.
nmac

Post by nmac »

I believe Scott Busby up at Natural Art Surf Shop in Buxton,NC has shaped some kneeboards for people on this site. Otherwise, look for people on this site selling one of their boards. That's how I got my first kneeboard.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

welcome frost.
you're a brave and hardy soul to be on the east coast and even thinking of surfing at the moment!
you need a kneeboard to to ride on your knees.

as day mentioned, people sell board on here all the time. most kneelos are pretty dedicated. that means they buy new boards regularly, making for a very healthy second-hand market of high quality, little-used kneeboards with few customers. it's a buyer's market. you'll get a brilliant board for little money.
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

#2: Pads: IMHO, only the genetically-selected can go without padding over the long haul, and I'm not one of them

There's lots of pad options searching this site. Throw a specific question out there, and I'll bet you get a specific response. Ex: Cove pads, how much?

Being in a fullsuit all the time does provide that layer of padding, but there's one more option: kneepads

Having blown my knees, I use strapped, non-hinged pads (Ex: McDavid Type 2, without the criss-cross straps) Those have to be sized such that they're not too tight, and yet not getting flushed down your legs all the time.

Also, if you do consider kneepads, don't go with too much padding (they're out there.) Think of the contact between your body and board, and try to make it as flush as possible to get the best body-to-board control.

And, in a Forrest Gump moment, that's all I have to say about that! :D
Frost

Thanks

Post by Frost »

Thanks for all your replies I snagged a used fish surfboard I may be able to knee it
Frost

Post by Frost »

As far as the pads go.. Hot here in summer so dunno about rash guard shirt. Just wondering about how bad it is peddling out with pads in middle of board..I'm guessing I may find out lololol.. No way goin out now way too cold for me just getting ready for spring/summer
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

frost. that stand-up fish will be pretty crap to ride as a kneeboard. can you return it?

AdrianS has an Island kneeboard for sale. get in there, mate, they rip!
http://ksusa.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=6779

Used Island Neil Luke board for sale 6' x 24 x 2.5. Board is in very good used condition. Was custom designed and has an Aussie design on it.

3 fin, channeled bottom, knee pads.

$300 OBO
Frost

Post by Frost »

naw cant return it,,ill progress to standup on it one day...the neil luke does look nice but i'm on the east coast,,shipping would be a bear....
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

you mean regress to standing up.
if you want to stand up, just stand up. it's not hard. a couple of days and you'll have the pop-up under control. kneeboarding isn't a transition phase.
just remember, the left foot goes at the back, right foot at the front.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Well is going to be a transition for me..maybe isn't for all but in my plans is a step up for me from bodyboarding last year.. So my plan is to paddle and accomplish knee this year and later this year/next year shoot for standup.. I don't see any reason why each style needs to be pigeonholed.. I'd like to be able to do all of them...