swim fins

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

JACKSON
Local (More than 25 post)

swim fins

Post by JACKSON »

which fins do you guys like. I ve been using the Churchill slashers for a few years but cant seem to find them anymore
Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: swim fins

Post by Scott »

I use smaller Viper fins when the surf is 4' or below, but for sheer power, and certainly for big swells it's hard to beat Duck Feet. It's just that they can cause cramps a bit quicker in some folks, but I find I have some cramping issues regardless of which fins I use. Stiffer blades are often the key to power.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Smush
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Smush »

JACKSON wrote:which fins do you guys like. I ve been using the Churchill slashers for a few years but cant seem to find them anymore
all kinds of corny folks luv hte various fins out there.
Just move your self up the fin chain, as far as length , over time , until you get comfy.

I was a standard churchills fin guy for years, eventually moved up to duck feet, with various fins in between.
And stuck with the Duck feet. Personally I'd like something with duck feet power, but with a couple inches shorter
on the blade, but I'm smart enough no such fin exists. Shorter blade, less power.

Following recommendations with fins is like following the wind. Too many popular choices.
JACKSON

Post by JACKSON »

I would assume you would get more power out of a fin that's straight across opposed to the diagonal fin like Churchill correct? looks like more surface area on the straight across fins
bellphoto
Location: Washington State currently. Used to live in Calif many yrs ago

Post by bellphoto »

I have used Duck Feet for my entire kneeboarding life, which goes back many years, and they've been good for me. Lately, I'm thinking of switching to something lighter now as in the cold water, I have to use one size up to fit over my booties and these X-Large Duck Feet are quite big and very heavy. I don't have a problem with my warm water version. Now that I'm getting way up in years, I can use all the help I can get and these giant Duck Feet aren't helping my cause any. I'm wondering if anyone has tried any of the fins that are popular with spongers? Vipers perhaps?

I swim and snorkel quite a bit and have noticed quite some difference in the various fins I've tried in the pool. Unfortunately I don't have the surf type fins to do a simple pool test with. I'm thinking of trying out some Churchill's at least!

Any thoughts on this?
Smush

Post by Smush »

With one size bigger you can always take a razor blade and cut the blade down.