What's Your Favorite Wave Height to Surf?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

What's your favorite size wave to surf?

2 to 4 foot faces with a little juice are fun and rippable!
11%
5 to 8 foot faces and glassy are the best any day!
46%
8 to 12 foot faces, just enough to keep the posers on the beach!
28%
12 to 16 foot faces, get serious or get out of my way!
14%
16 to 20 foot faces, I like 'em big and gnarly!
2%
20 foot and above, I don't have fun unless it's challenging!
No votes
30 foot and above, I'm an adrenaline junky!
No votes

Total votes: 57

Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

dont think that was needed beeline :roll: :wink:
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Nov
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Nov »

My favourite wave size is 4-5ft with the odd bigger one.
MEAT
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by MEAT »

Ah don't worry Steeno he's trying to set us Ozzy's up.He's doing a Brian Jackson impersonation........stirrer. :lol:
I like the 3 to 5ft comfort range.My back and neck won't cope with any thing more than that.Although I'm sure my chiropractor would like me to go out in bigger stuff which would give him a good chance of becomming a multi millionaire from me (he's already just about pulled his first million from me). :x
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

Waves

Post by K-man »

Mornin all,

4-6 feels about right,small hot-doggy ones that allow a maximum amount of moves without the threat of immenient disaster.Throw in a few 8fts-for good measure,nice to break out one of the not-oft used quiver to break the status,and rekindle the buzz.
NOW,wave size seems to be a bit of a puzzle.Looking at various pics with wave size estimates,I notice that the tendency is to understimate the actual size,better that than the other way.
Now when I say 4-6,I mean around head to a bit over head,8ft thats 96in no?
hEY MEAT,pass the potatoes,and the gravy-if ya please

K :)
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ler

???????????????????????

Post by Ler »

You know what, I'm so confused. Why isn't more kneelos don't go big. Growing up thats how how I finally gots some respect (not much, mind ya. people around here hate the kneelo's)the only way was to go big. Go right on on a big left, knowing your going slaughtered to make people laugh. Surfing the Wedge so big the sand move's under your feet when a set comes. I's gots more stitches and broken bones that I's can count, but I growed up in a place that was not exactly kneeboard friendly, even been beat up twice in my home town just because, I'm kneelo, and hackeled more times I can count. If I took kneeriding serious I would have clicked 16-20 foot. Really feeling like a I don't belong in the style of kneeriding anymore. Big boards and all. I'm I so out of something I used to take so serouis.

Ler
MWROBERTSON

waves

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Jeeez Ler!

I think we grew up and surfed in the same town. My kneeriding experience has been completely the opposite! I'm sure guys may heckele under their breathe but never to my face. In fact the majority of guys were stoked on the kneeride! Many commented on the power and commitment that we all had. As for violence! what a shock! I have never seen such a thing. I'm sorry it happened to you. This makes me MAD! I have met force with force when necessary though. I.e. a stand-up tried to paddle underneath me on a peak. I reached out, grabbed him by the ankle and yanked him clean off his board! I recently had a semi-pro-surfer(no names please) paddle to my inside and hop up in front of me. I was so pissed because this guy cuts off everyone. He burned me awhile ago and I never forgot it! While he was up, I swooped in off a bottom turn, wrapped my arm around both of his legs and pulled hard. He flip off his board like a rag doll. After I paddled over to him and he was freaking! I put my hand on his shoulder and smiled. I said, " NEVER-EVER drop in on me or anyone else ever again." Respects were paid and he seems to be more cautious now.

We are all surfers first. Kneeboards is just how we do it. I always give respect, if it does not come back a decesion has to be made how to deal with it. 99.99% of the time most stand-ups are stoked to see something different.

Sorry for the rant Ler and I love ya and all my brothers. I'm a nice guy but have my limits when a brother has taken any heat like that.
Steve Neal

Post by Steve Neal »

This all depends on how much water time I have in . Right now I've only been surfing weekends and not much over the 8' face range at best . But given enough water time I always thought the bigger it got the better I got. :D
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ler

????????

Post by Ler »

Mark and Bro's,
I started surfing Southside early on. The crew was brutal at times. Had a tomatoe thrown at my head (and it hit) one of times a I got beat, the last thing I heard was get that pool toy out of here., then smack. Not much you can do, when your 11 or 12 years old surfing right next to the peir on Southside. Way more mellow at Bolsa, Brookhurst, or Lake Street. Don't be sorry. I've return the favor more than a few times. Gots to pay in lumps at the homebreak sometime.

Ler

P.S 1979 wasn't a great year to be 12 and a kneelo, trying make his way in the lineup H.B.S.S. with no older brother or friend.
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

I know this is getting off the subject ,but I can't help myself. We had this guy, Doug Hanson, paddle out at Sewer Peak one day and he proceeded to catch every set wave without any regards to the rest of us. We have all seen that greedy SOB before but this was ridiculus. Several of the Bros were making coments to him and he wasn't backing off. Something about I work so when I surf I deserve more. Well he passed me up for the peak one to many times and as he took off right in the bowl I snagged his cord. I would not try this again because my hand was soar for a week from the cord burn, but it was worth it. He kept paddling as hard as he could and I held on as hard as I could until he stopped, realizing his efforts were doomed and at the top of the wave he backs off and sits up on his board. And that is when I let go. I only wished I had seen what happened next, but I got a good first hand account from the inside crew. They said they had never seen any one go over the falls on the outside of the lip and riding like a bull rider going over the nose and hitting the water face first and then explode. Well you get the picture. Doug paddled back out and was barking up a storm claiming that was the worst wipeout he had ever had and who the hell did it. I smiled and he knew. Manss I should of known. Every one was stoked, he got lp from all directions and finally realized he better mellow out or not surf any more. After that session I bought him a brew and we all rehashed that story til sunset.
john -

Post by john - »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
merely labled