What's Your Favorite Wave Height to Surf?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

What's your favorite size wave to surf?

2 to 4 foot faces with a little juice are fun and rippable!
11%
5 to 8 foot faces and glassy are the best any day!
46%
8 to 12 foot faces, just enough to keep the posers on the beach!
28%
12 to 16 foot faces, get serious or get out of my way!
14%
16 to 20 foot faces, I like 'em big and gnarly!
2%
20 foot and above, I don't have fun unless it's challenging!
No votes
30 foot and above, I'm an adrenaline junky!
No votes

Total votes: 57

MEAT
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by MEAT »

I've found in Oz that Longboarders seem to have the more bull***t attitude in regards to agression,dropping in etc etc, at least in more recent times anyway.They also seem to have the fettish of squeezing out kneelo's more than the shortboard guys.Bare in mind I can't remember the last time I had a run in with a shortboarder.I 've been up on the Sunshine Coast for two years now and most, if not all the problems that I've heard of or seen, have been via kooked out longboarders.There doesn't seem to be a respect problem with the shortboard fraternity to kneelo's where I surf, which is either Kawana or Wurtulla.When I lived in Cronulla (Sydney) I pretty much found it the same there.But going by the guy's over the US things sound pretty heavy over there.Sorry guys and no insult intended, but I think that I'm glad that I live and surf where I do. :D
Again I repeat, no insult intended.
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

And how was your day!

Post by K-man »

Took a five min drive from town,a nice 15min walk,surfed a rock reef point with three breaks spaced 100 yds apart for hrs.
The ''other'' kneeboarder,one longboarder and myself-3-5ft,fun.Everyone left,surfed another hr. by myself---Don't like crowds,thats why I live here.

Wayne was up here this summer and went to afew locations that he found to his liking,no surf but he saw the potential.Right ?

K
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Jon and I surf Sewer Peak a lot and KBers have always had their spot in the lineup......as long as we don't take all the waves. Things do get a bit hairy our there in the late afternoon during a big NW when the after work crowd hits the water.

I get around the crowds (sort of) by surfing in the mid morning.....I hit it just as the before work/school crowd is exiting the water and before 11:30AM when all the hungover types start filtering into the lineup. That way I'm usually surfing with younger guys and people who work in the surf industry - who know what they're doing in the water.

As far as longboarders go, everyone at Sewer Peak just won't allow them to surf there. With all the various peaks up and down that section of coastline, there is no excuse for a LBer to invade that peak. Besides, an LBer can never take off as deep as a KBer or shortboarder, can never get into position and usually just paddles away.
kbing since plywood days
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Dan you let out my best secret and not even ashamed to admit it. Bad form! To the crew out there that aren't familiar with Sewer Peak. Here goes;
Sewer Peak is not in a Sewer. The line up spot was a cement block pump house that use to run processed water out at First Peak. Yes the same spot we had last years contest and no it hasn't been used for more than 20 years. Dan would probably know when the county stopped that operation. It is kind of nice though to see visitor cringe when they hear the name.
Sewer Peak is a right hander point break with a fairly deep channel on the left hand side, so short lefts, long rights. When ever you have a surf spot that breaks exactly in the same spot and with a take off zone say 30 ft radius around that spot your going to have a tight crowd. This spot creates pecking orders and when people respect the informal take your turn it is generally mellow. However it only takes one jerk to get things out of sinc, if you know what I mean. You don't see many long boards out there as the top to bottom take off generally snuffs them out. Although that doesn't stop a few.
There are a lot of spots that hold a crowd well in Santa Cruz ,but this isn't one of them. I hope this helps you all get an idea of one of my favorite spots and realize that it does not represent the total Santa Cruz experiance. If you want uncrowded in Nor Cal I have just the guide for you. The Great White Hunter, Scott. :shock:
K-man

bickering.

Post by K-man »

tsk,tsk,tsk-perhaps some flowers,or a nice box of bon-bons will smooth out those ruffled feathers :lol:
Fun surf today.Same reef as yesterday.A tad smaller,but conditions very clean [2-4+] seven people on five peaks on a 1/2 mile stretch of reef.
Eventually I'll post some pics,whe it gets mo betta.Maybe get a few of you up this side.

K
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

The County stopped pumping primary treated sewage into the First Peak lineup in 1973-74. Before that, surfers used to sit in the discharge plume during the Winter to warm up. The term 'log' didn't refer to longboarders back then........

Today, Sewer Peak does have a short left. On my first wave during this week's swell, I took off and proceeded to bury myself and my board straight into the bottom. I was held to the reef for a few seconds but my board stayed down for a lot longer. Summer time dues.
kbing since plywood days
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chunk
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

waves

Post by chunk »

its gotta be a clean 4-6ftwhen it actually bothers to turn it oninthe uk.............far out chunk :D