Why did you start riding a kneeboard?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

What does kneeboarding need to make it an option for our youth to want to ride one?

Media Coverage?
13%
Radical Videos?
23%
New Competition Formats?
2%
Role Models?
21%
North Shore Coverage?
11%
Lifestyle Orientated?
5%
Swedish Sex Bombs?
25%

Total votes: 61

badknees1
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

why I kneeboard

Post by badknees1 »

I agree with Frog. It was George Greenough, Rincon and the Spoon[/b]. In 1972 my 4 highschool friends and I bodysurfed alot. Then one by one they bought standup surfboards so I needed a vehicle. I saw Greenough in a Bruce Brown's Endless Summer showing then in his own movies. In 1973 for $55.00 I bought a used 4'10" kneeboard at Wind n Sea in HB. alot of fun and took some guff from my standup friends but alot of fun. One day at the cliffs in a heavy fog during the championships Larry Bertleman paddled up to me and asked me about kneeboarding and checked out my used Wind n Sea board, smled and paddled away into the fog. I pretty well went dormant in the mid 80's. Then thanks to my boy, good ole Carl and those looney Cove people I got back on my knees again. Nothing like a short answer huh.
Lefty
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Lefty »

a mate bought his board to school one day in the late 70s. he said "don't tell anyone, it's a kneeboard". that was enough intrigue to get me interested...
it's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll