Why did you start riding a kneeboard?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

What does kneeboarding need to make it an option for our youth to want to ride one?

Media Coverage?
13%
Radical Videos?
23%
New Competition Formats?
2%
Role Models?
21%
North Shore Coverage?
11%
Lifestyle Orientated?
5%
Swedish Sex Bombs?
25%

Total votes: 61

jdkneelo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jdkneelo »

Watching paul herriott ripping up Dbah and deep tubes at kirra. Hes still doing the same 30 years later.
crox
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by crox »

Ha! This thread is only nine years old!!
"All we are saying, is give knees a chance"
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

funny ha....and I started it
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
crox

Post by crox »

You were a young man then!
"All we are saying, is give knees a chance"
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

9 years old and I just saw it :shock:
I started riding a kneeboard because I noticed that as soon as I put on my flippers the chicks gave me 'that' look, you know the one,

I think it's cause my legs looked so long and elegant in them ;)

Nah, I used to play tennis, and one day I mentioned to the captain of our team that I was going to start surgfing and he said, oh I've got a board for sale - it was five bucks (1974?) he bought it to the courts the following week and it was 4 foot eight had a big rounded belly and a huge Maltese Cross on the bottom in the resin, it had pin lines and weighed as much as brick shothouse, the first time I went out at Maroubra I was informed I was an 'egroll". The insults came thick and fast , my favourite was from Jaime Judd a kneeboarder who used to rip amazingly who one day informed me I looked like a drown rat. He was very popular among the other surfers....

so I kept on kneeboarding, because I loved that sense of community that one gains from being different ;) I stiill have people ask me why I don't stand up, of course I know now to tell them the truth, that it's because I can't lie down ,

no that doesn't sound right :0
Angie
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Angie »

I grew yup as a standup and bodyboarder, was curious about trying kneeboarding out when I saw a article on Gigs, there was a photo of him in a deep caverock pit.At the time there was also a local kneelo at our spot, Clinton Knowles, he borrowed me a old board, gave it a try and on my 1st wave got barrelled, sucked over the falls with my knee in my face... promtly gave the board back... years later I still crossovered between standup an bodyboarding (but only really did dk)... 2007 and things went pair shaped, well I did, to the point that by end of 2008 I was to overweight to standup or bodyboard. I moved away from the beach 2009. Towards the end of 2010 I went for a holiday to the coast and realised how much I missed riding waves, then for some reason I remembered that kneelo Clinton, he was not a small guy, but he could throw is board around and do airs better than most standupscaround in the 90's. So thats when I decided to give kneeboarding a second chance, looked online for video clips an saw what Chayne, Troy, Simon and Steen where doing. In early Dec 2010 I came back to the coast to find a house to rent... on the way homestopped at a shaper that was known for making kneeboards and ordered my 1st board. A month later I moved into our new place in the sleepy town of Scottburgh... a few days later I picked up my board, the surf was really small, but I was back in the water and riding waves again! Been hooked ever since!

As to get younger people into the sport? I dont know, I get asked alot by some grommets whether im riding a surfboard or a bodyboard... I think the youth just is not aware that we actually exist. Maybe we need clinics to introduce people to it? Maybe more media exposure is needed? How often do u see a kneelo in a surf mag (the last a saw in our local surfmag ZigZag was probaby the 90's. I think people need to know we exist before our sport can grow...

Angie
frog

Post by frog »

was 17 yrs old growing up in East Los Angeles rough part of town in the early 70. In my high school there were a bunch of guys starting a surf club! In ELA whch was funny to begin with :D so I knew a few those surfer dudes so one day ask me come along with and they would teach me to surf. So they give me 9'-10" Gorden Smith board so I learn to surf.

Well to make a long story short. I couldn't get the hang of it but I did get the bug for Mother Ocean! So oneday while trying to surf Rincon on that beast of a board the board hit me in the mouth and I was done with surfing. As I sat on the beach watching my friends catch waves. I saw this Kneeboarder at the point just taking off on some waves getting barrel and turning and just ripping up the place. I said to myself I think I could do that. I so amaze at this guy I wanted to try a kneeboard.

So I found a kneeboard it was 4'10 twin fin square tail. I still remember that first wave as it was yesterday. I took off on my first wave and got barrel and came out! :D My friends were watching me they were hooting and yelling at me you got the best wave of the day. I was hook never look back.

Oh the guy I saw on that day was GG himself. I never knew who he was until I got to see a surf movie he made. So I like to thank him for that day! Or I properly would have never surf again. I've met some great people on this site fellow kneeboarders. Until just a few years ago I tought I was the last of a dying breed! Those friend I learn to surf with don't surf anymore. I still enjoy this type surfing and always get a kick out of people asking me what knid of board is that?

The other day I was surfing my break County Line was getting some great waves when this kid and his Dad paddled up to me and said you are getting all the best waves today! His son said I never seen anyone kneeboard before. I told him to try it he like it! As I was sitting on the beach this kid came up me ask me were can he rent a kneeboard so can try it (something to think about you guys). I told him no were you can rent one. I offer one my board so he could try it and I would help him I had some extra fins give him one my board and we went out. I show him a few thing as he watch me catch some waves.

I saw him try to catch a few wave wipe out few times until the Magic came to him I watch this kid take off on this nice waves got barrel and come out with the big smile on his face!!! He was hook just like I was!! So his father later came up to me and thank me for showing his son how to kneeboard he was hook and wanted a kneeboard. He later ask me were he buy one and get more info so I pointed him to this site. And I sold him one my old board. And from time to time I see him in the line up give me a thumb up and pappled over to say hello I can't remember his name. We now have one more kid in our ranks hope fully he bring young people into our sport. Maybe we do need some good role model to promote our way of life...Frog
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Great story Frog, that's what this sport needs more of that stuff. We've been lucky over here in Southern NSW in Oz in that this has happened a few times & we now have 4 to 5 of the young fella's in our club with that sparkle in their eye's - it's such a buzz for old war horses like us to see that brings it right back for me anyway. The National comps have started a micro grom event at our circuit events also with the head guys in the National Organisation & Kenny, who heads up Kneeboard Surf International taking a hands on approach and helping 4 to 5 year olds & up to compete (obviously not out the back catch the bigger waves) these clinics, if you like, have been well attended over this last year or so. Detractors of our sport, those saying there are no young people coming through should come along & see this amazing spectacle & see for themselves the buzz these kids get & maybe get involved themselves. Again Frog thanks for your story, I'm gunna go look for a wave right now. Cheers Wolruss.
MALLEE BULL

Post by MALLEE BULL »

Some great stories there guys.My story is i had a close encounter with some kneelo's from Victoria doing a trip up the South Coast.Nick Jane and Ken Porter.Both riding slabs around 77.Not sure to what happened with them.The last i heard Ken's dad had the hardware store in Byron.Fun times.
LOVE FIXING UP OLD BOARDS
AND STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
frog

Post by frog »

Wolruss catch one for me! My friend.... :D
sarj

Post by sarj »

I bought a single fin Petrillo from Frank at the frog house when I was just a maggot... walked across the street, and I was hooked. Now I don't know any better.
norm

Post by norm »

The progression I was going to follow was paipo board, kneeboard and stand up surf. Kneeboarding felt so good, there was not a need to ride standup boards. We would mess around and standup with fins on our boards, but to be able to take off steep, ride tight to the face and crumple a 105 pound body in a 2 foot tube was awesome. (I'm a few pounds heavier, but the stoke is the same!) Too bad, I don't see young kneeboards in Hawaii much at all.
norm
Bob

Post by Bob »

Was a swimmer and polo player in the 70 's.
Started body boarding then. In the early 80's all the kneelos were ripping and the stand ups were still on single fins and not doing much. Twinnies just coming in on standup boards. Chose kneeboards instead and never looked back..
maxb

Post by maxb »

75 , saw Romo ripping up GIANT Wedge, wanted to do the same, and here I am. :twisted:
Max
kbing newport
fishfinger

Post by fishfinger »

the 70s newport crew and being more of a rebel then a regular surf punk....