Who wants a kneeboard publication?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Poll ended at Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:16 pm

No, the idea is stupid, too organised and against the ethos of kneeboarding
12%
Yes, I'd pay (Aus) $15 an online issue, min 4 issues a year with regular updates
6%
Yes, I'd pay (Aus) $20 an online issue, min 4 issues a year with regular updates
5%
Yes, I'd pay (Aus) $25 an online issue, min 4 issues a year with regular updates
9%
Yes, I'd pay (Aus) $15 a CD issue, min 4 issues a year with regular updates
17%
Yes, I'd pay (Aus) $20 a CD issue, min 4 issues a year with regular updates
6%
Yes, I'd pay (Aus) $25 a CD issue, min 4 issues a year with regular updates
44%

Total votes: 81

splashy
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by splashy »

OK guys,

I've decided to put this up as a bit of market research - who wants a kneeboard publication?

I'm a journalist and editor by trade and have launched three publications in the past for others - so now I'm thinking it's about time to do one for kneeboarding.

But let me say this straight up - the numbers will be unlikey to add up for "printed" publication, so the format is likely to be either on-line or CD/DVD.... which adds all sorts of advantages in terms of interactivity, timeliness, video, audio etc. It also means that the kneeboardng community would have to make a decision to treat this publication with respect and honour by not giving away a password or burning a pirate copy (too often....let's face it...it will happen)

Numbers would also mean that it would be an international publication, featuring all countries where ever kneeboarders are living and visiting, and cover all issues (including the hard ones). There'd be features on designs, surfers, competitors, non-competitors, trips, locations, events etc.... and the content would be VERY strongly driven by YOU, reacting to the desires of the readers.

Because of the small economic influence of kneeboarding it would need to be maintained by reader subscriptions and advertising. A rough look at the numbers so far shows that it would probably break-even (with a professional team putting it together who get paid for their time/input/products at a wholesale level to start with) - and if it did take off any profits would be put back into the sport (...i dunno how yet, maybe sponsoring the junior division of the world titles by paying the costs of the winner to the next world titles... or something...)

I also anticipate it would work very closely WITH the existing kneeboard organisations world-wide in a supporting-communication role, and as a verhicle for promotion may help to bring in national/international sponsors etc.

...anyway, enough of all the technical stuff..... bottom line, a kneeboard stoke magazine....who wants one? Answer the following question, and there'd be more questions coming.....

...and feel free to send me a private email for any other dicussions on this topic....
One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name - so stay tubed!
Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

great idea. i'm all for gettin my hands on anykind of material relating to kneeboarding.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
john -

Post by john - »

all of the above but i voted 25 online

dorje
merely labled
MEAT
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by MEAT »

Hi Splashy,
This is an excellant idea.I could not imagine any kber's being negative or against getting this going.In recent past and ongoing threads we have all pretty much shown that we've got to get juniors going and this is pretty much the thing to push kbing on for a future and if it happens what a way to start ......onya Splashy. :D
fruitbat

Post by fruitbat »

Craig,
Do it I have access to old Dbar photos not shown. And plenty of storys etc. Paul Herriott and I dropped into see Parksey yesterday Ballina was about 3 ft. It is a good idea.

Eric
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Excellent. Would contribute photos/stories from this part of the world.
Surf Hard Live Slow
Nov

Post by Nov »

I'd go for the cd/dvd, are you thinking something like that iSurf dvd?
japanmike (atom boy)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

checking in from japan....

Post by japanmike (atom boy) »

Checking in from up north in Japan..We are just getting things going in the kneelo scene here (been around for a while, but interest is picking up)..but I am definitely up for the online version...
Don't know how it would go here if it is only english....maybe we can find a way to translate some?
I'll help out if I can....

mike
www.kbsj.net
Lost somewhere in Japan.........If anyone is ever interested in visiting this weird and wonderful place, please let me know.
Iñigo

Count with me

Post by Iñigo »

All my support from Spain. In Europe is really difficult to find any kneeboard material.
Duke

Post by Duke »

All my support from Italy. In my country it's impossible to find any material
ciao :cry:
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Anything new Splashy?

Just returned from PR trip with photog in tow, buddy that I have surfed with almost 40 years and his WQS Tour son. The photog wants to put together something for publication. Think she was amazed at the surfing and how little problems we had in the lineup at a place that has been labeled as "tough" by the Mags and Surfline.

Props to the PR locals for being respectfull of our whole group. We will all be back.
Surf Hard Live Slow
Irish

Post by Irish »

Fantastic idea i voted for the cd/dvd issue at $25. Seriously its a ripper of an idea and can only push kneeboarding further bringing it into more homes also it gives the everyday kneelo an idea through profiles etc who the likes of Kyle/Gigs/Baden/Simon/Simpsons are, where they surf/boards they ride and that.
go for it ill support it all the way :D