Shark 'repellants'

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

gardim
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Shark 'repellants'

Post by gardim »

G'day all. I am knew to this site. Been kneeboarding around Ballina, North NSW, Australia since 2002. As you may be aware, sharks and shark incidents have become a major issue here in the last two years. I have just fitted a SharkShield Freedom to a McTavish 8 foot Carver longboard as of yesterday, and am waiting for adhesive curing before testing (24 hours advised). Now am trying to wrap my head around fitting one to my 5'10" Parkes Quad.

Has anyone had experience fitting this particular new product to a knee board? Because of the forward placement of the fins, I am considering fitting the electrode decal tape just behind the back fins, whereas on my other board I have followed instructions and fitted an inch forward of the front fins.

https://sharkshield.com/shop/ocean-eart ... l_antenna/ See 12 min vid clip on installation.

https://sharkshield.com/shop/freedom-surf/ Tom Carroll does a promo

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Surf ... deterrent/ Seabreeze Forum on

Also the electronic unit is housed in a kicker tail pad and I am a bit concerned about this getting in the way of my swim fins.

By the way, I have nothing to do with Sharkshield, Ocean and Earth, or any commercial interest, just wanna keep surfing (safer).
knee-rider
Local (More than 25 post)

Re: Shark 'repellants'

Post by knee-rider »

gardim thanks for pointing out this new product to all of us
I have been looking into this kind of product in the past and got caught behind in new developments such as the O&E
I personally had a shark experience which led me to start considering and researching for products that are out there
Two February's ago came off of a wave and my shadow scared a very beautiful Leppard shark that was caught inside the reef
The shark passed right underneath my board to make for deeper water
:shock: :shock:
I read controversial information with respect to all of these products available and applicable to surf and scuba so anybody out there that can provide us with information in regards would help me in a final decision on weather or not to invest a bunch of money -- all of these products cost as much as a new board-- might they or might they not work???
it's all about the ride
gardim

Post by gardim »

Hi Knee Rider. We have a consumer magazine in Australia called Choice, who did an appraisal of some of these electronic and magnetic shark repellant products, and came to the conclusion that the SharkShield is the only one with any Research creds.

Summarising, the Sharkshield seems to repel most of the Great White Pointers, which are our most aggressive shark here, most of the time, but not all. Still I am banking on increasing my chances of deterring substantially, given the evidence.

Just got a reply from the manufacturer, and it is fine to put the decal tape from the back diamond to the electronic unit just behind the back fin. My board has fairly forward placed Quad fins. Now this may work better on a quad set up as the back diamond may cover at least partially the central fin slot for a thruster set up ( I have five fin slots).

The main question remaining is whether the 'kicker' tail pad bit will interfere with where my swim fins want to be. Not sure on that. Will have to go for a surf and check out where I naturally put my swim fins (they may 'splay' out to each side in which case no problem). Could do away with swim fins as have some of my buddies, but at 67 I am not that strong a paddler.

By the way the kicker bit is now supplied separately, and the tail pads can be cut down if you already have a kneeling pad or pads that go a long way back.

The whole set up is $599 Aus. Extra tail pads and decal are only $99 from our local store, so I can easily set up a quiver and lessen the cost per board eg $700 for 3 boards.

By the way, thanks for the reply. This is all new territory so appreciate the input. And yeah its not cheap but I want to stay in the water, so am 'biting the bullet'.

Cheers.
knee-rider

Post by knee-rider »

thanks Gardim for the additional information
Do you have a link and a name to write to I have my kneeboards with center standard US skeg box
My favourite boards are all US made but with the OZ idea of keeping fin placement forward
so Ive got questions as well to ask the manufacturer--related to placement location of tape and questions about my cove pad kneepads--
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8)
it's all about the ride
gardim

Post by gardim »

Try https://sharkshield.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new for an email contact.

Did you look at the installation vid clip of around 12 mins. well worth a look. Link is in my original post. Will give you more idea of what's involved. Only reason they recommend the horizontal decal strip placement no more than 1 inch in front of the forward fin is so you have enough length to go back to the electronic unit housing in the 'kicker'. But the tape is meant to allow for boards up to 10 foot so lots of room to adjust. Otherwise you can place it closer to the back eg behind the back fins. And you can cut down the length of the tail pad if your Cove pad goes back a fair way

It may also be possible to lift the back edge of the Cove Pad several inches using a Stanley box cutter blade, run the horizontal section of the back decal tape under and then re-glue the pad over it. Personally I have found Super Glue the most reliable for re-gluing deck grip and pads.
gardim

Post by gardim »

Here is a similar product to SharkShield, but Rpela may be much more relevant on a kneeboard, because all the installation happens on the bottom of the board, so nothing to get in the way of feet or swim fins on top:

https://www.rpela.com/

The drawback is the installation is a bit more technical to do, but there is a video how-to on this, for those who are handy with a router, and basic glassing. In Oz there are a few dedicated installers. Cost is $100 less than Sharkshield which should pay for getting someone to install.

Worth a look. Would welcome any comments.

I have installed the Sharkshield on my 8 foot longboard with no hitches. Its definitely putting out a field, which you can feel in the water. So far all good.
knee-rider

Post by knee-rider »

Thanks Gardim for the additional product information
When I actually wrote the other guys they replied that it was NOT feasible to apply their guard shield to a kneeboard
because the controlled box would get in the way of the kneepads and foot rest location
I am wondering of other products exist that don't require glassing and foam removal from the board
Definitely these products are most likely to be innovations coming out from either the land of Oz and or South Africa where there is a real problem with sharks of all kinds lurking around shores
So anybody got knowledge of new products please post them so we can get a better education of product availability
it's all about the ride
gardim

Post by gardim »

The amount of foam removal required for the Rpela installation is quite small, and the glassing is small and basic too. The site has a video on the installation. And its only the housing that's set in flush to the bottom, The electronics are transferable between boards. The housing would be a similar impact on the board to having a small fin box installed. The router bit, and jig for the housing are supplied by Repela. We have a guy in Lennox, Wayne Davenport, who installs for $110 Aus. There may be installers in your area, which Rpela can advise you about.

The Rpela may be more effectivre than the Sharkshield because its a higher frequency (according to Wayne).
gardim

Post by gardim »

Hi knee-rider and any other interested kneelos. The following is the reply I got from Dave Smith from Rpela re installing Rpela on kneeboards, and installation in the States:

Hi Michael
Thanks for taking the time to look at Rpela and get in touch with us.
Rpela can definitely be installed in SUP’s as well as knee boards. I have installed a lot of these and they are also being used by guys with racing paddle skis as well.

As far as a discount goes on installing into 2 or more boards goes it will be up to the individual installers to decide on this Wayne is a reasonable guy so I would definitely get in contact with him and see what he can do.

We are gearing up for a release in the US in the next 2 months We had to make sure all our patent and trade marks were in place along with all our compliance requirements were rock solid. Happy to say we have the green light so its all systems go We are now working to get installers in place so if you could mention this on the forum and ask these guys if they know of any shapers, manufacturers, repairers who may be interested I would be stoked to get in touch with them.

I'm happy to have a chat with you if you have any further questions or need any more info I can be contacted on 0417 540 213 anytime
Cheers again for the interest and support

Dave Smith

Surfsafe Pty Ltd ABN 73163063607
Unit 8, 15 Carbon Court Osborne Park WA 6017
Ph 08 9446 4115 or 0417 540 213
www.rpela.com