Input needed for my first kneeboard.

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

chendersby
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Input needed for my first kneeboard.

Post by chendersby »

New convert here. Been surfing since the early 70's but health reasons has me converting to knee riding. Been playing around on a 6'6" 23 3/8 wide fish that i had made years ago and having a blast. I'm having a 6' x231/2 board made. I is based on this board http://colesurfboards.com/trunkboard.html
without the bonzer bottom. 44 liters. I'm 6'7" 245 lbs. I surf on boards in the 42-45 liter range.

Questions:
fin placement? obviously need to be further forward than the pic above. Was going to put 5 boxes in because i really don't know what i will like.
Tail shape?
Anything else i should know?

Thanks
Chris
Josh Peters
Local (More than 25 post)

Re: Input needed for my first kneeboard.

Post by Josh Peters »

You should look at a true kneeboard. The Cole would work OK but there is a difference in the way a Kneeboard is shaped.
Josh Peters
unclepeepo

Post by unclepeepo »

Have been kneeboarding since 1975. I'm 6'4" 210 lbs.Have shaped my own boards since '76.Current ,and best board yet is 4'11"x 22" by 2 " quad swallow tail. Shaped from a "super lite" blank.Obviously a lot smaller board than is standard ,but hauls ass, turns on a dime, floats me fine.I would suggest smaller is better, at least for waves under 8-10 ft. Anything under 3 ft.and slow it bogs down but then I have a "mini=simmons" I shaped for mush.Just saying I think you should consider smaller lighter boards if your not surfing overhead waves all the time.
chendersby

Post by chendersby »

Josh Peters wrote:You should look at a true kneeboard. The Cole would work OK but there is a difference in the way a Kneeboard is shaped.
He has made a few kneeboards from this basic board. We pulled the wide point back to center and made it wider. the fins are going to be pushed forward.
Mind elaborating on how kneeboards are different besides shorter and wider.

This board is going to J bay with me this year so it will see good waves
Josh Peters

Post by Josh Peters »

Sounds like a custom Cole Kneeboard Lucky you. Post pics when you get it, Will the bottom contour be the same. Are you running a deck pad. Surf it like you stole it.
Josh Peters
chendersby

Post by chendersby »

Josh Peters wrote:Sounds like a custom Cole Kneeboard Lucky you. Post pics when you get it, Will the bottom contour be the same. Are you running a deck pad. Surf it like you stole it.
No the bottom won't have that extreme concave. going with standard single to double concave. Undecided on the tail shape.
No luck needed, been riding Coles boards for years. Was going to go with a pad from Cove unless Astrodeck makes something.