2017 Kneeboard Surfing World Titles Results

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

joe
Legend (Contribution King!)

2017 Kneeboard Surfing World Titles Results

Post by joe »

Check out this video of highlights from day one of the World Titles in Somo, Cantabria, Spain. Team USA did well with 5 surfers advancing into the third round of the Open. Sam Coyne, Brad Colwell, Tom Linn, Roger Hughes, and Matt Cunningham all moving on. With good conditions on the forecast, the Open Division could finish tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hLTL_ABt6E4
Scott

Re: 2017 Kneeboard Surfing World Titles Results

Post by Scott »

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Joe. Great video. Team USA making a great start in the first two rounds!
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
joe

Post by joe »

It's Finals Day in Somo

Team USA finished second in the Tag Team Event. Our best finish ever. Congratulations Team Australia on the win.

Sam Coyne earned second place in the Pro Junior division in a closely fought final heat in challenging conditions. Sam held priority at the end of the heat, but the sets didn't come. Congrats to Liam taking the win for Australia.

Team USA still has a few more chances for podium finishes. Brad Colwell, Tom Linn, and Bob Gove will all surf in the finals for their age divisions later in the day. Good luck boys.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Great finish indeed for Team USA. Any sense yet of where they will be holding the 2019 World Titles?
joe

Post by joe »

Last night it was officially announced that the next World Titles will be hosted in New Zealand around February 2020.

We had, perhaps, our best US showing this year. We're hoping for an even bigger, better, and more competitive Team USA in 2020. Start training now and hold the dates for 2020.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Count me in--I'm going!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Where does one find the Final Results?
joe

Post by joe »

I'll have to go back and get the complete results from Kneeboard Cantabria, but here is a partial list from Memory:

Open Division:
1. Michael Novokov (Australia)
2. Karl Ward (UK)
3. Paul O'Neill (Australia)
4. Gavin Colman (Australia)

Gavin Colman was the outstanding surfer of the contest scoring the only perfect 10 and many big maneuvers. However, the waves didn't cooperate for him in the final. Karl and Paul were surfing exceptionally well throughout the contest. In the end, Michael Novokov's excellent surfing and contest strategy earned him the win in challenging conditions.

Tom Linn and Sam Coyne were US standouts in the open, making it to the quarterfinals and sharing and equal 13th place finish.

Team USA also had some strong finishes in the age divisions.
Bob Gove is the new Immortals division (64+) champion. Bob won his heat with a big floater in the closing moments of the heat. Bob's win was even more impressive since heat was still recovering for a serious injury. He had only been back in the water a couple of weeks.
Brad Colwell was crowned Legends division (60-63) champion, followed by Tom Linn in second place. It war a closely contested final heat with Brad and Tom trading places. Brad's final wave pushed him into the lead and earned him the championship.
Sam Coyne placed second in the Pro Junior division behind Liam Taurin of Australia. Sam's aggressive surfing wowed the crowd with big maneuvers, but Liam's more consistent surfing won over the Judges. It was a close and exciting final heat. Sam's high risk surfing ultimately won him the prestigious best maneuver of the contest award.
In the team event, Sam Coyne, Brad Colwell, Roger Hughes, and Tom Linn represented Team USA. After finishing first in the team semifinals, Team USA earned a second place finish in the finals behind a strong Team Australia.

This was perhaps the best showing by Team USA in a Kneeboard World Titles event. We're looking forward to building and even stronger and more competitive team for the next World Titles in New Zealand in 2020.

I'll post the complete final results soon.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Great recap Joe!