picking the right deck pad.

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Josh Peters
Local (More than 25 post)

picking the right deck pad.

Post by Josh Peters »

I'm having trouble picking a cove deck pad for my new board. I would like to know if anyone knows the weight difference between an 8 mm and a 5 mm pad? Do the pads soak up water? :?:
Josh Peters
Chris Buscemi
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Chris Buscemi »

Josh,
You'll probably hear some different opinions but I say go with the thicker pad. Yes you will save a little weight with the thin pad but personally I can't tell a difference between the weights of the two pads.

Thicker pad will give your board and knees a lot more protection.

I recommend getting in touch with Casey at Cove Pads and talking with him directly. He can answer all your questions and will get you set up with what you need.

Hope you are getting some surf.

Chris
If I say its safe to surf this beach Captain, then its safe to surf this beach. I mean I'm not afraid to surf this place, I'll surf this whole f@cking place!
norm

Post by norm »

The 5/16 Diamond Fly Cove Pad has worked really well for me.... it's the thicker one. The pads are easy to line up on the board to install and I have not had any problems with pads coming off, even when it takes a direct hit from a lip. I like having a wide area so my chest is flat on the pad when paddling and having a pretty good area to put on knee on to duck dive. I also put wax on my pads as some other kneelos have mentioned before.

Aloha,
norm
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Hi Josh, I wanna give a big thumbs up for the Cove Pads, I've got a Kung Foo pattern, thinner pad on one of my boards and its fantastic. I don't believe that thick or thin, his pads suck up any substantial amount of water as I think they are ''closed cell'' neoprene ( Casey can answer that for certain ). I'd go with the thicker pads, that little extra is nice on the knees and also protects a lightly glassed deck better. Caseys pads are so nicely blended on the edge that even with the thicker one it won't catch your knees when you jump up.

Aloha, Robert
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
The Creediler

Post by The Creediler »

I like the thicker 8mm pad Diamond Fly with the flat top! I also wax my pads a little to prevent any water absorption.
Paul

Post by Paul »

It matters more as to whether you're in warm water or cold, I think. Casey doesn't go cheap and will send you a pad that is fit right to an inch or so of the rail. If you're wearing a wetsuit then you're safe but if you in your boardies then your inner thighs are going to get as chaffed as a $5 hooker on bowling night. I highly recommend asking Casey to trim them back an extra 1.5 inches.

For me the thin pads put me more in touch with my board but the thick ones are cushy on the knees.
Josh Peters

Post by Josh Peters »

Thank you for all the quick help . I m thinking 8 mm and waxing the pad .I just do not want to add weight to the board durning a long session.

L
Josh Peters
red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

You can also think of the pad as adding buoyancy. With a full pad you could probably drop 1/4" board thickness.
Josh Peters

Post by Josh Peters »

Thanks good point.
Josh Peters
Bob

Post by Bob »

Have used all pads; Parkes, Cove Pads and Bud's Blast pads.
Different ones on all my boards.
All are good
Blast cheapest
Latest is Cove Pad. Easy to put on and will never need wax.
kneehighdesigns
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by kneehighdesigns »

I am proud to announce that here at NEE-PRO we are now supply the largest choice of pad configurations so far available to the kneelo market . we now have a NEW full deck pad setup as well as a 3 piece setup and even a tradition 4 piece setup so you can take your pick , all can be seen on our Face book page Nee-Pro kneeboard surfing on Face book and with multiple colors also . Our pads DO NOT need wax and are light weight and do not absorb moisture , they are a peel and stick down application with german marine grade adhesive and can be surfed on almost immediately after applying to your board . best of all the usa dollar is strong against the aussie dollar so the time to buy is now , even stock up and store for later any questions can be directed to our page . Happy kneeboarding and thanks a bunch for reading this .
Josh Peters

Post by Josh Peters »

Thanks I will check them out.
Josh Peters
Nicalocal

Re: picking the right deck pad.

Post by Nicalocal »

I love my Scholkopf, the pad is plush and it is let in to the deck so no chaffe or coming off
knee-rider

Re: picking the right deck pad.

Post by knee-rider »

I discovered casey's pads a few years ago and have been buying only this brand now
Love what Casey did for me this past Feb he sold me and shaped one of his new generation two tone coloured pads
The texture is slightly different on these
The "channels" drain water really fast from all of his pads
I have mounted both thick and thin pads on my boards but I ended up preferring the thicker ones as my old knees
need a break at 58
Also I think the wax story on pads is a bit of a contradiction -- pads for any surfboard were invented back in the days of Astrodek
by Fletcher to replace the waxing of boards-- so why would you put wax on top of a pad?? When I bought one of "big Tony's" boards
it came with Casey pads waxed and I disliked it-- it had almost to much grip and would not allow for any margin of body position
adjustment once you were up on your knees
it's all about the ride