asymmetrical kneeboard

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Josh Peters
Local (More than 25 post)

asymmetrical kneeboard

Post by Josh Peters »

Has anyone tried an asymmetrical kneeboard? Would it ride the same as putting two fins on one side and a single twin fin on the other side? What does the tail and rail do for a asymmetrical board? :?
Josh Peters
BSD
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Re: asymmetrical kneeboard

Post by BSD »

Hey Josh,
Seems to me since kneelos face forward not toward a specific rail, might not make a big difference. I build a few Aysm surfboards. Big difference between heel and toe sides.

The pressure required to engage the rail would be the same on either rail. Quite a different story when standing.

That's my $ .02.
knee-rider

Post by knee-rider »

my understanding was that asymmetrical boards are very functional for stand up surfing because the pressure
from the heel is unto the inner shorter asymmetrical rail. The one that fits in the wave face and thus more functional in the design when pressure is applied by the heel of the stand up surfer-- for turning and or digging in a rail

Therefore it would NOT be applicable to our style of riding (on our knees) where weight and leg force distribution is
equally balanced in our board kneeling stance. With NO need to compensate for weight shifts on either right or left
rails. Forces working more in a balanced manner with equal distribution along both rails --
it's all about the ride
floyd699

Post by floyd699 »

I remember asymmetrical boards were huge in windsurfing for wavesailing in the 80's with the idea of a board being built for a particular break i.e. right hand break so the tail & fins reflected that with the left hand tail being cut away.
I would have thought that a kneelo facing forward is irrelevant, the right hand rail is always dug into the face of the wave
maybe a keen board builder can try one & see how she goes?
floyd699

Post by floyd699 »

tail a.jpg